Old 07-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default wine dependencies

Now we have a maintainer for wine again (thanks Eduardo, users were
complaining about wine constantly), I want to bring up a small issue:

Running namcap on wine reveals that there are lots of unnecessary
dependencies. I also saw that some of the dependencies are possibly only
makedepends. Eduardo, can you look at that and give some feedback?

Old 07-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Eduardo Romero

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 20:40 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Now we have a maintainer for wine again (thanks Eduardo, users were
> complaining about wine constantly), I want to bring up a small issue:
>
> Running namcap on wine reveals that there are lots of unnecessary
> dependencies. I also saw that some of the dependencies are possibly only
> makedepends. Eduardo, can you look at that and give some feedback?

Yeah, working on that right now, will try to make my best to clean up
this PKGBUILD.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:36 AM
Dale Blount

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 21:28 -0400, Eduardo Romero wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 20:40 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > Now we have a maintainer for wine again (thanks Eduardo, users were
> > complaining about wine constantly), I want to bring up a small issue:
> >
> > Running namcap on wine reveals that there are lots of unnecessary
> > dependencies. I also saw that some of the dependencies are possibly only
> > makedepends. Eduardo, can you look at that and give some feedback?
> >
> Yeah, working on that right now, will try to make my best to clean up
> this PKGBUILD.

Just be careful... there are some dependencies noted in the PKGBUILD
that are optional and enabled via a wine config option. If you add
them, people tend to complain a lot.

Dale

Old 07-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Eduardo Romero

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 23:36 -0400, Dale Blount wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 21:28 -0400, Eduardo Romero wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 20:40 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > > Now we have a maintainer for wine again (thanks Eduardo, users were
> > > complaining about wine constantly), I want to bring up a small issue:
> > >
> > > Running namcap on wine reveals that there are lots of unnecessary
> > > dependencies. I also saw that some of the dependencies are possibly only
> > > makedepends. Eduardo, can you look at that and give some feedback?
> > >
> > Yeah, working on that right now, will try to make my best to clean up
> > this PKGBUILD.
>
> Just be careful... there are some dependencies noted in the PKGBUILD
> that are optional and enabled via a wine config option. If you add
> them, people tend to complain a lot.
>
> Dale

I have removed all dependencies that are optional and made them
makedepends, the wine package now has all the features it can have but
are going to be enabled by the user, installing the corresponding
package. For example, alsa-lib,, freeglut and libungif are now
makedepends, but I made a wine.install that tells you which package is
needed for which feature.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:32 AM
"Travis Willard"

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Eduardo Romero <k3nsai@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 23:36 -0400, Dale Blount wrote:

>> > Yeah, working on that right now, will try to make my best to clean up
>> > this PKGBUILD.
>>
>> Just be careful... there are some dependencies noted in the PKGBUILD
>> that are optional and enabled via a wine config option. If you add
>> them, people tend to complain a lot.
>>
>> Dale
>>

> I have removed all dependencies that are optional and made them
> makedepends, the wine package now has all the features it can have but
> are going to be enabled by the user, installing the corresponding
> package. For example, alsa-lib,, freeglut and libungif are now
> makedepends, but I made a wine.install that tells you which package is
> needed for which feature.

Use the optdepends field, that's what it's there for:

from man pacman:
optdepends (array)
An array of optional packages (and accompanying reasons)
that are not essential to the package, but would offer increased
functionality or other features when installed. optdepends are
currently for informational purposes only and are not utilized by
pacman during dependency resolution. The format should be
similar to the following:

optdepends=(´fakeroot: for makepkg usage as normal user´)