Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 PM
"Travis Willard"

Default Moving on

Hey guys.

I've been giving it some thought lately, and I think I need to sit
back and assess my priorities in life.

My day-job has been taking up a lot of my time lately, and events in
my personal life have also increased of late. That leaves little
"free time" and I'm finding more and more lately that whenever I get
this time free I don't feel like sitting down and spending more time
working on Arch after working 9 to 5 in front of a PC. As a result,
I'm getting very little done for Arch on a day-to-day basis, and that
doesn't feel good. The time I do spend on Arch feels more like work,
like an obligation than it ever used to feel. Of the packages I
maintain, I actually care about maybe 3. I'm having trouble finding
motivation.

In any case, it really leaves me with two options:
1) drop some personal-life stuff to prioritize Arch and attempt to
rekindle the spark I had when I first started, or
2) gracefully bow out of Arch "development"

I have chosen the latter.

Believe it or not, it has been a difficult decision. I love Arch, and
the people behind it. The distro rocks, and all you guys rock as
well. I think I'll miss you all. I really want to see Arch succeed,
and the combination of these things has kept me doing stuff for quite
a while after it stopped being enjoyable, however now with the large
influx of new packagers we're taking on, I think it's the right time
for me to step back and let the new guys, each with their own fresh
spark for Arch, to take the reins, so to speak.

I toyed with the idea of taking a long sabbatical, orphaning my pkgs
and coming back in 6 months or a year or something, but I figured it'd
be silly to keep me around in the web interface and on the dev page
and all that jazz when I'm not even sure whether I plan to return. If
I ever feel the desire to take this on again, I'll reapply like a
normal person.

I'll still be around - love the community, spend more time on the
forums while at work than I should, enjoy helping others out, etc...
If anybody needs any quick help with anything, I'd be glad to take a
look.

The last two years have been a blast. Keep the distro going strong
guys; it's the best out there.

--
Travis

Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/7/2 Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org>:
> Hey guys.
>
> I've been giving it some thought lately, and I think I need to sit
> back and assess my priorities in life.
>

> In any case, it really leaves me with two options:
> 1) drop some personal-life stuff to prioritize Arch and attempt to
> rekindle the spark I had when I first started, or
> 2) gracefully bow out of Arch "development"
>
> I have chosen the latter.

> I'll still be around - love the community, spend more time on the
> forums while at work than I should, enjoy helping others out, etc...
> If anybody needs any quick help with anything, I'd be glad to take a
> look.
>
> The last two years have been a blast. Keep the distro going strong
> guys; it's the best out there.

Good luck! And I hope to see you around.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hey guys.
>
> I've been giving it some thought lately, and I think I need to sit
> back and assess my priorities in life.
>
> My day-job has been taking up a lot of my time lately, and events in
> my personal life have also increased of late. That leaves little
> "free time" and I'm finding more and more lately that whenever I get
> this time free I don't feel like sitting down and spending more time
> working on Arch after working 9 to 5 in front of a PC. As a result,
> I'm getting very little done for Arch on a day-to-day basis, and that
> doesn't feel good. The time I do spend on Arch feels more like work,
> like an obligation than it ever used to feel. Of the packages I
> maintain, I actually care about maybe 3. I'm having trouble finding
> motivation.
>
> In any case, it really leaves me with two options:
> 1) drop some personal-life stuff to prioritize Arch and attempt to
> rekindle the spark I had when I first started, or
> 2) gracefully bow out of Arch "development"
>
> I have chosen the latter.

Sad times have fallen on Arch! Travis of the Northern Tundra has left
our noble ranks!

Seriously though, I do understand. We all do. It's the way of
volunteer work - it can only be important for so long. Eventually
something else will come up that is more important (a lot of times
it's those damn evil women-folk, too! heh). So don't take it too bad.

As I said to Eliott, there's always a spot for you guys here. You're
always welcome to come back, in any capacity, if things change in the
future.

> Believe it or not, it has been a difficult decision. I love Arch, and
> the people behind it. The distro rocks, and all you guys rock as
> well. I think I'll miss you all. I really want to see Arch succeed,
> and the combination of these things has kept me doing stuff for quite
> a while after it stopped being enjoyable, however now with the large
> influx of new packagers we're taking on, I think it's the right time
> for me to step back and let the new guys, each with their own fresh
> spark for Arch, to take the reins, so to speak.
>
> I toyed with the idea of taking a long sabbatical, orphaning my pkgs
> and coming back in 6 months or a year or something, but I figured it'd
> be silly to keep me around in the web interface and on the dev page
> and all that jazz when I'm not even sure whether I plan to return. If
> I ever feel the desire to take this on again, I'll reapply like a
> normal person.
>
> I'll still be around - love the community, spend more time on the
> forums while at work than I should, enjoy helping others out, etc...
> If anybody needs any quick help with anything, I'd be glad to take a
> look.
>
> The last two years have been a blast. Keep the distro going strong
> guys; it's the best out there.

I'll keep you unmoderated on the dev-public list, in case you ever
want to pop in and say hello (assuming you stay subscribed, I dunno).

Travis, let me know if you need anything off gerolde before I disable
the account (security reasons, we all know your password is
"rainbows-and-butterflies" anyway).

Thanks for the time, it's been great. You'll be missed.

Aaron

Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 PM
"Travis Willard"

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> be silly to keep me around in the web interface and on the dev page
>> and all that jazz when I'm not even sure whether I plan to return. If
>> I ever feel the desire to take this on again, I'll reapply like a
>> normal person.
>>
>> I'll still be around - love the community, spend more time on the
>> forums while at work than I should, enjoy helping others out, etc...
>> If anybody needs any quick help with anything, I'd be glad to take a
>> look.
>>
>> The last two years have been a blast. Keep the distro going strong
>> guys; it's the best out there.
>
> I'll keep you unmoderated on the dev-public list, in case you ever
> want to pop in and say hello (assuming you stay subscribed, I dunno).
>
> Travis, let me know if you need anything off gerolde before I disable
> the account (security reasons, we all know your password is

I think there might be some stuff in public_html that I'll grab when I
get home. I'll let you know once I've gotten it.

It's a shame - I often logged onto gerolde to check simple things like
man pages and such for people on the forums while I was working.
Maybe I'll set up noip and sshd at home to do the same. Couldn't
hurt, so long as I secure it proper.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:48 AM
"Travis Willard"

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>> If anybody needs any quick help with anything, I'd be glad to take a
>>> look.
>>>
>>> The last two years have been a blast. Keep the distro going strong
>>> guys; it's the best out there.
>>
>> I'll keep you unmoderated on the dev-public list, in case you ever
>> want to pop in and say hello (assuming you stay subscribed, I dunno).
>>
>> Travis, let me know if you need anything off gerolde before I disable
>> the account (security reasons, we all know your password is
>> "rainbows-and-butterflies" anyway).
>
> I think there might be some stuff in public_html that I'll grab when I
> get home. I'll let you know once I've gotten it.
>
> It's a shame - I often logged onto gerolde to check simple things like
> man pages and such for people on the forums while I was working.
> Maybe I'll set up noip and sshd at home to do the same. Couldn't

I've got everything I want - feel free to disallow my access. And
stop giving my password away. Now I have to change it to
unicorns-and-daisies

Old 07-04-2008, 05:40 PM
"Travis Willard"

> [...]
>>
>> I toyed with the idea of taking a long sabbatical, orphaning my pkgs
>> and coming back in 6 months or a year or something, but I figured it'd
>> be silly to keep me around in the web interface and on the dev page
>> and all that jazz when I'm not even sure whether I plan to return. If
>> I ever feel the desire to take this on again, I'll reapply like a
>> normal person.
>>
>> I'll still be around - love the community, spend more time on the
>> forums while at work than I should, enjoy helping others out, etc...
>> If anybody needs any quick help with anything, I'd be glad to take a
>> look.
>>
>> The last two years have been a blast. Keep the distro going strong
>> guys; it's the best out there.
>
> I'll keep you unmoderated on the dev-public list, in case you ever
> want to pop in and say hello (assuming you stay subscribed, I dunno).

Actually, about this - I'm currently subscribed to all the Arch MLs
using travis@archlinux.org - is that going to go away? I'll have to
switch addresses if so

Old 07-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Dusty Phillips

Travis Willard wrote:

[...]

When I rejoined the team, my @archlinux.org was still redirecting to an
address I haven't used in over a year, so you'll probably be ok. Except
Aaron is more picky about these things than dear old Judd.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all the work you've done. And its
been great working with you this past week. :-D (Or is in my presence on
the team that makes you quit?)

Take care of yourself and if you find yourself in Toronto for some
gawdawful reason, look me up. I was in Waterloo a few months back but
didn't have time to ping you. :-( Maybe another time, I have a friend
working at MKS.

Cheers!
Dusty