-   -   bash 3.2.025-4 (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/11529-bash-3-2-025-4-a.html)

"Aaron Griffin" 12-03-2007 09:00 PM

bash 3.2.025-4

This is a quick one - please sign off as soon as possible.

The current package does NOT contain /etc/profile
This cripples newly installed systems.

It will, right now, give you a "/etc/profile exists" error.

I don't know a way around this... if anyone has a suggestion, that'd
be great, but right now we have a big fat error on freshly installed
systems.

In testing for i686

"Dan McGee" 12-03-2007 09:13 PM

bash 3.2.025-4

On Dec 3, 2007 4:00 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a quick one - please sign off as soon as possible.
>
> The current package does NOT contain /etc/profile
> This cripples newly installed systems.
>
> It will, right now, give you a "/etc/profile exists" error.
>
> I don't know a way around this... if anyone has a suggestion, that'd
> be great, but right now we have a big fat error on freshly installed
> systems.
>
> In testing for i686

In testing for x86_64 (signed off for that architecture), and signing
off for i686 as well.

-Dan

"Aaron Griffin" 12-03-2007 09:18 PM

bash 3.2.025-4

On Dec 3, 2007 4:13 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 4:00 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know a way around this... if anyone has a suggestion, that'd
> > be great, but right now we have a big fat error on freshly installed
> > systems.
> >
> > In testing for i686
>
> In testing for x86_64 (signed off for that architecture), and signing
> off for i686 as well.

To be clear here, a -f install of this WILL extract it as a pacnew
because the file already exists. This is because it is still in the
backup=() array on the new package.

Still, it requires a -f.

I'll post a news announcement when we get some signoffs ( I want a few
minutes for this to simmer at least).

"Travis Willard" 12-03-2007 11:23 PM

bash 3.2.025-4

On Dec 3, 2007 5:18 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 4:13 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 3, 2007 4:00 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I don't know a way around this... if anyone has a suggestion, that'd
> > > be great, but right now we have a big fat error on freshly installed
> > > systems.
> > >
> > > In testing for i686
> >
> > In testing for x86_64 (signed off for that architecture), and signing
> > off for i686 as well.
>
> To be clear here, a -f install of this WILL extract it as a pacnew
> because the file already exists. This is because it is still in the
> backup=() array on the new package.

Signed off - however I didn't get a /etc/profile.pacnew file out of
it. I had to install with -f.

"Travis Willard" 12-03-2007 11:24 PM

bash 3.2.025-4

On Dec 3, 2007 7:23 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 5:18 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > In testing for x86_64 (signed off for that architecture), and signing
> > > off for i686 as well.
> >
> > To be clear here, a -f install of this WILL extract it as a pacnew
> > because the file already exists. This is because it is still in the
> > backup=() array on the new package.
>
> Signed off - however I didn't get a /etc/profile.pacnew file out of
> it. I had to install with -f.

Er, signed off for i686, sorry. Forgot to specify architecture

"Dan McGee" 12-03-2007 11:28 PM

bash 3.2.025-4

On Dec 3, 2007 6:23 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 5:18 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > In testing for x86_64 (signed off for that architecture), and signing
> > > off for i686 as well.
> >
> > To be clear here, a -f install of this WILL extract it as a pacnew
> > because the file already exists. This is because it is still in the
> > backup=() array on the new package.
>
> Signed off - however I didn't get a /etc/profile.pacnew file out of
> it. I had to install with -f.

You _will_ have to install with -f. However, you didn't get a pacnew
because you haven't modified the /etc/profile file (the md5sum was
unchanged).

=Dan

Eric Belanger 12-03-2007 11:55 PM

bash 3.2.025-4

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Dan McGee wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2007 6:23 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:

>>> To be clear here, a -f install of this WILL extract it as a pacnew
>>> because the file already exists. This is because it is still in the
>>> backup=() array on the new package.
>>
>> Signed off - however I didn't get a /etc/profile.pacnew file out of
>> it. I had to install with -f.
>
> You _will_ have to install with -f. However, you didn't get a pacnew
> because you haven't modified the /etc/profile file (the md5sum was
> unchanged).
>
> =Dan

signing off for x86_64

believed to be clean.

Eric Belanger 12-04-2007 12:05 AM

bash 3.2.025-4

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Eric Belanger wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Dan McGee wrote:

>>> Signed off - however I didn't get a /etc/profile.pacnew file out of
>>> it. I had to install with -f.
>>
>> You _will_ have to install with -f. However, you didn't get a pacnew
>> because you haven't modified the /etc/profile file (the md5sum was
>> unchanged).
>>
>> =Dan
>>

> signing off for x86_64

and signing off for i686.

Eric

believed to be clean.

Pierre Schmitz 12-04-2007 05:23 AM

bash 3.2.025-4

Am Montag, 3. Dezember 2007 23:00:28 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> It will, right now, give you a "/etc/profile exists" error.

Is this a pacman error? According to pacman /etc/profile does not belong to
anything. But why is it still there. If it was in a backup array of a
previous package, why wasn't it renamed to .pacsave?

Is it possible to workaround this by a funky install script hack? I fear that
a lot of people will complain about this when this package hits [core].

Pierre

--
archlinux.de

"Aaron Griffin" 12-04-2007 06:03 AM

bash 3.2.025-4

On Dec 4, 2007 12:23 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 3. Dezember 2007 23:00:28 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> > It will, right now, give you a "/etc/profile exists" error.
>
> Is this a pacman error? According to pacman /etc/profile does not belong to
> anything. But why is it still there. If it was in a backup array of a
> previous package, why wasn't it renamed to .pacsave?
>
> Is it possible to workaround this by a funky install script hack? I fear that
> a lot of people will complain about this when this package hits [core].

It's already there. Here's the thing. It *was* in the package, then
got lost in the last one (Dan, Eric, and myself signed off, as far as
i know). The problem is that it utterly breaks ftp installs, so we
needed to push this soon. pacman -Sf will handle this case just fine,
because it is in the backup array of the new bash package.