Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Default python-2.5.2-3 in testing

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have added python-2.5.2-3 to the testing repo. The main reason for
> testing is the removal or /usr/lib/python2.4 from the python library search
> path (as all python2.5 files should be in the 2.5 folder). There is also a
> couple of fixes for bug reports.
>
> I believe I have rebuilt the packages this breaks in extra (apart from antlr
> which Jan knows about) but there are a dozen or so in community that will
> break so I will leave this in testing while they get sorted. I will post a
> list of these to aur-general.
>
> Cheers,
> Allan

Why doesn't python-foobar work?
"Allan broke it"

8)

Good job Allan, and thanks

Old 06-25-2008, 10:46 PM
"Jason Chu"

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have added python-2.5.2-3 to the testing repo. The main reason for
> testing is the removal or /usr/lib/python2.4 from the python library search
> path (as all python2.5 files should be in the 2.5 folder). There is also a
> couple of fixes for bug reports.

I suppose it has been long enough that all the python packages have
been updated from the old python2.4 directory

You do know why we had the old search path in there, right?
Historically we've left it in there so that an upgrade from python 2.4
to python 2.5 wouldn't lose access to all the modules. When we go
from 2.5 to 2.6 it'll probably be advisable to put it back in, at
least until all the python modules have been rebuilt for 2.6.

Jason

Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Allan McRae

Jason Chu wrote:

I have added python-2.5.2-3 to the testing repo. The main reason for
testing is the removal or /usr/lib/python2.4 from the python library search
path (as all python2.5 files should be in the 2.5 folder). There is also a
couple of fixes for bug reports.

I suppose it has been long enough that all the python packages have
been updated from the old python2.4 directory

You do know why we had the old search path in there, right?
Historically we've left it in there so that an upgrade from python 2.4
to python 2.5 wouldn't lose access to all the modules. When we go
from 2.5 to 2.6 it'll probably be advisable to put it back in, at
least until all the python modules have been rebuilt for 2.6.

Yeah, I figured the transition was close enough to being complete to
force the issue now. Can't leave it there forever... Otherwise packages
using the python2.4 directory would get broken when python2.6 comes out
in about two years! And we have a python2.4 package which installs
files there so I am slightly surprised there has been no problems with
sourcing its libraries. I guess very few people have both installed.

Allan