Old 06-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default "Upgraded 2.1rc" to "Lenny" - Reperation after shutdown and boot

dave wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> GDM is fine .
>> Trash is fine, it wasn't before the new boot, but instead of it's old
>> name KTrash it was named Trash. I renamed it again (because Gnome has
>> got it's own Trash and the KDE Trash on the desktop). I won't check
>> Gnome now, because I prefer KDE.
>> All Icons are fine, but the Envy24Control icon is lost, maybe the
>> program too. I'll check this later.
>> Konqueror file and web browser are fine again.
>> There's a new icon for the Klipper, but the theme is still fine.
>> Yakuake seems to be fine. KGpg seems to be fine.
>> Icedove seems to be fine and Iceweasel too.
>>
>> I'll try to reinstall the lost audio-applications, cinelerra etc. later.
>> I now have to make a break.
>>
>> It seems that the lost 64studio and 64studio-themes packages have no
>> action to my system.
>>
>> The kernel I booted into is the kernel it should be:
>>
>> spinymouse@64studio:~$ uname -r
>> 2.6.21-1-multimedia-amd64
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ralf
>>
>> PS: If I get back all lost applications the upgrade seems to be fine.
>>

> Great news Ralf ;-)
>
> Well done! I wrote this a bit earlier so there may be more now.
>
> # apt-get update
> # apt-cache search alsa-tools-gui
> # apt-cache show alsa-tools-gui
> # apt-get install alsa-tools-gui
> For Envy24Control
> if its just the icon you need, you should still have it.
> you just need to point to it in kde menu editor.
>
> For KDE... you don't need to do this for gnome.
> * = all users have access
> edit /etc/security/limits.conf
> add to the end of file:
>
> * - rtprio 99
> * - nice -10
> * - memlock 4000000
>
> Cheers,
>
> dave.

Thank you again for your help.

limits.conf didn't change:

@audio - rtprio 99
#@audio - memlock 250000
@audio - nice -10

By the way, JAD 1.0 is like this:

@audio - rtprio 90
@audio - nice -15
@audio - memlock 4000000

With my old hardware (I never used JAD with my new hardware) I had
1280GB and with my new hardware I've got

64studio:/home/spinymouse# hwinfo --memory

Memory Size: 1 GB + 896 MB

2GB minus framebuffer for the on-board RADEON X1250-based.

With 2GB or less, memlock 4000000 will be the same, as if it will be
commented out. Am I false?

Is there the need to use memlock? I think we had the question some time
ago, but I can't remember the answer.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-01-2008, 02:17 PM
dave

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>

>>> GDM is fine .
>>> Trash is fine, it wasn't before the new boot, but instead of it's old
>>> name KTrash it was named Trash. I renamed it again (because Gnome has
>>> got it's own Trash and the KDE Trash on the desktop). I won't check
>>> Gnome now, because I prefer KDE.
>>> All Icons are fine, but the Envy24Control icon is lost, maybe the
>>> program too. I'll check this later.
>>> Konqueror file and web browser are fine again.
>>> There's a new icon for the Klipper, but the theme is still fine.
>>> Yakuake seems to be fine. KGpg seems to be fine.
>>> Icedove seems to be fine and Iceweasel too.
>>>
>>> I'll try to reinstall the lost audio-applications, cinelerra etc. later.
>>> I now have to make a break.
>>>
>>> It seems that the lost 64studio and 64studio-themes packages have no
>>> action to my system.
>>>
>>> The kernel I booted into is the kernel it should be:
>>>
>>> spinymouse@64studio:~$ uname -r
>>> 2.6.21-1-multimedia-amd64
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ralf
>>>
>>> PS: If I get back all lost applications the upgrade seems to be fine.
>>>

>> Great news Ralf ;-)
>>
>> Well done! I wrote this a bit earlier so there may be more now.
>>
>> # apt-get update
>> # apt-cache search alsa-tools-gui
>> # apt-cache show alsa-tools-gui
>> # apt-get install alsa-tools-gui
>> For Envy24Control
>> if its just the icon you need, you should still have it.
>> you just need to point to it in kde menu editor.
>>
>> For KDE... you don't need to do this for gnome.
>> * = all users have access
>> edit /etc/security/limits.conf
>> add to the end of file:
>>
>> * - rtprio 99
>> * - nice -10
>> * - memlock 4000000
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> dave.
>>

> Thank you again for your help.
>
> limits.conf didn't change:
>
> @audio - rtprio 99
> #@audio - memlock 250000
> @audio - nice -10
>
> By the way, JAD 1.0 is like this:
>
> @audio - rtprio 90
> @audio - nice -15
> @audio - memlock 4000000
>
> With my old hardware (I never used JAD with my new hardware) I had
> 1280GB and with my new hardware I've got
>
> 64studio:/home/spinymouse# hwinfo --memory
>
> Memory Size: 1 GB + 896 MB
>
> 2GB minus framebuffer for the on-board RADEON X1250-based.
>
> With 2GB or less, memlock 4000000 will be the same, as if it will be
> commented out. Am I false?
>
> Is there the need to use memlock? I think we had the question some time
> ago, but I can't remember the answer.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

You're welcome Ralf ;-)

I have JAD 1 alpha 1 on this disk here,
I just leave memlock as it defaults and have learned
to add it to kde if I use it with audio apps -rt
My JackLab Desktop is KDE 4...
Development is certainly moving on now.

As for your upgrade, is it ok now?
you had me going for a bit there ;-)
It's not easy when the posts are crossing over with each other.

Let me know how you get on,

Cheers,

dave.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Ralf Mardorf

dave wrote:
> You're welcome Ralf ;-)

Thank you. I'm not the kind of person that is welcome everywhere,
perhaps I'm a real musician , even if I often don't have the
impression while listening to the stuff I composed :S.

> I have JAD 1 alpha 1 on this disk here,
> I just leave memlock as it defaults and have learned
> to add it to kde if I use it with audio apps -rt
> My JackLab Desktop is KDE 4...
> Development is certainly moving on now.

My JAD comes with the very nice e17. The default WM. But this isn't a WM
for a stable DAW. I prefer ion2 for oldish hardware and KDE 3.x (only
with KWin) if there isn't the need to think about resources. I've heard
good things about KDE 4.

> As for your upgrade, is it ok now?

As a consumer desktop client it seems to be stable. The weather is fine
in Oberhausen (Ruhrgebiet) and I'll drink some spritzer ("Weinschorle").
I'll go on with installing audio-applications and making tests later or
within the next days.

> you had me going for a bit there ;-)
> It's not easy when the posts are crossing over with each other.
>
> Let me know how you get on,

I'll do that.

I've to test QSampler for the first time in my life. Any links for
samples are welcome.

I'm afraid because of the integrated ATI. My monitor is still a 2D
stroboscope.

Now I will have my time-out.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-01-2008, 04:30 PM
dave

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>> You're welcome Ralf ;-)
>>

> Thank you. I'm not the kind of person that is welcome everywhere,
> perhaps I'm a real musician , even if I often don't have the
> impression while listening to the stuff I composed :S.
>

>> I have JAD 1 alpha 1 on this disk here,
>> I just leave memlock as it defaults and have learned
>> to add it to kde if I use it with audio apps -rt
>> My JackLab Desktop is KDE 4...
>> Development is certainly moving on now.
>>

> My JAD comes with the very nice e17. The default WM. But this isn't a WM
> for a stable DAW. I prefer ion2 for oldish hardware and KDE 3.x (only
> with KWin) if there isn't the need to think about resources. I've heard
> good things about KDE 4.
>

>> As for your upgrade, is it ok now?
>>

> As a consumer desktop client it seems to be stable. The weather is fine
> in Oberhausen (Ruhrgebiet) and I'll drink some spritzer ("Weinschorle").
> I'll go on with installing audio-applications and making tests later or
> within the next days.
>

>> you had me going for a bit there ;-)
>> It's not easy when the posts are crossing over with each other.
>>
>> Let me know how you get on,
>>

> I'll do that.
>
> I've to test QSampler for the first time in my life. Any links for
> samples are welcome.
>
> I'm afraid because of the integrated ATI. My monitor is still a 2D
> stroboscope.
>
> Now I will have my time-out.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Enjoy your fine weather in Oberhausen (Ruhrgebiet),
the spritzer ("Weinschorle"), and time-out Ralf.

dave. :-)