Old 06-01-2008, 10:46 AM
"agivagan agivagan"

Default 2.1rc1 to lenny

Hi all,
I just have dist-upgraded the 64studio 2.1rc1 to lenny, and here is my results :

I can have X now !! this is a great pleasure (nvidia 8600 M on a laptop with Core2duo 7250 )
Apt removed gnome, ardour ( I removed by hand what Free said to remove before : mailx, exim4 and others ), and after upgrading asked me to remove by hand a lot of things related to gnome-desktop and synaptic.

So I install Fluxbox (which is fortunately my preferred environment), didn't try to reinstall gnome, and took ardour from sid.

For sound everything works great I run my Audigy2 zs notebook with jack at 128 frames/period at 48000 Khz in duplex with 5.33 ms/latency, surfing the web and working with synaptic , and ther is no xrun ! I also have my alsaplayer connected in jamin. I can see in qjackctl 29% cpu.

Audigy kills Jack and all related apps. I'll try to install rezound and use it if it's not to unstable like it use to be with binary packages in debian.

It's a working config for me I'm happy to have X with 64studio on my laptop and so to be able to work with this great distro (latency is good enough for me and sound working is really a great great pleasure. ) I will now keep 64studio and let ubuntustudio and all his unused stuff on the side of my road because there is to much services and stuff that I must tweak by myself after ( per example say my cpu to work with performance, and things like that)

Thanks everybody 64studio is a great job. Big up to Free and all the people working since Demudi !

Old 06-01-2008, 10:54 AM
"agivagan agivagan"

of course I had to do "apt-get -f install "
and to readjust my /etc/security/limits.conf following your advices..

Old 06-01-2008, 11:18 AM
dave

Hi agivagan agivagan,

Nice to see you got the result you wanted,
In the past I have used dist-upgrade with good results,
When I followed Free's howto using synaptic and removed mailx, exim4 and
others
I only had wine to re-upgrade, everything else worked fine.
Installing the test releases gave me the opportunity to practice the
upgrade with synaptic.

agivagan agivagan wrote:
> Thanks everybody 64studio is a great job. Big up to Free and all the
people working since Demudi !

I couldn't agree more.

Cheers,

dave.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Folderol

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 12:54:51 +0200
"agivagan agivagan" <agivagan@gmail.com> wrote:

> of course I had to do "apt-get -f install "
> and to readjust my /etc/security/limits.conf following your advices..

The (maybe obvious) follow-on from this is, when will 64studio V3.0
come out?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Old 06-01-2008, 12:13 PM
dave

agivagan agivagan wrote:
> Do you mean I should have done an "apt-get upgrade" only when
> upgrading to lenny ?
hi,

It wouldn't have removed the core of 64studio, Ardour etc,.

When my synaptic upgrade had completed,
Wine and "only" wine needed re upgrading.

I only had to do "reinstalls" when I moved the test install to SID as an
experiment.
only then did gnome and core get disturbed.
I then had to do as you did in your initial post,
But everything still worked out ok!

I installed

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Overglossed?content=74813

and ended up with a sid desktop that was fine.

Cheers,

dave.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Quentin Harley

Folderol wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 12:54:51 +0200
> "agivagan agivagan" <agivagan@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> of course I had to do "apt-get -f install "
>> and to readjust my /etc/security/limits.conf following your advices..
>>

> The (maybe obvious) follow-on from this is, when will 64studio V3.0
> come out?

When Lenny is "Stable" 64 Studio would be 3.0

Does that answer your question?

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Ralf Mardorf

> When Lenny is "Stable" 64 Studio would be 3.0

Today I will fix some problems of the 2.1rc to Lenny Upgrade. If there
will last some troubles, will it be possible to upgrade my system to 3.0
or will it be better to make a new installation with 3.0?

Ok, a very abstract question. If the troubles won't be to extreme; are
there any experiences with upgrading this way?

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
tim hall

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> When Lenny is "Stable" 64 Studio would be 3.0
>>

> Today I will fix some problems of the 2.1rc to Lenny Upgrade. If there
> will last some troubles, will it be possible to upgrade my system to 3.0
> or will it be better to make a new installation with 3.0?

No, you'll have to wait until 2.1 is released, just like the rest of us. ;-)

cheers,

tim

Old 06-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Ralf Mardorf

tim hall wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>> When Lenny is "Stable" 64 Studio would be 3.0
>>>

>> Today I will fix some problems of the 2.1rc to Lenny Upgrade. If there
>> will last some troubles, will it be possible to upgrade my system to 3.0
>> or will it be better to make a new installation with 3.0?
>
> No, you'll have to wait until 2.1 is released, just like the rest of
> us. ;-)
>
> cheers,
>
> tim

What I mean is, when Lenny will be stable and the 3.0 release will be
out in the far future, if it will be possible to change to a regular
3.0, without a new installation. AND if somebody has experience with
doing this, because he has done it from an older Version to the latest
version.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 PM