Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   64 Studio User (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/)
-   -   Password (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/96306-password.html)

Ralf Mardorf 05-27-2008 03:53 PM

Password
 
Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
>> I still can't log in to the forums. And no further instructions will be
>> sent to my nick's e-mail address. The nick is 'Icemouse'
>
> Try logging in now, with the password 'dangermouse'
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel :)

the problem has been solved by Quentin some time ago ;D

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [64 Studio] Password
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 10:23:15 +0100
From: quentin@64studio.com
Reply-To: quentin@64studio.com
To: ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net



Icemouse,

Quentin Harley (http://www.64studio.com/user/18) has sent you a message via
your contact form (http://www.64studio.com/user/250/contact) at 64 Studio.

If you don't want to receive such e-mails, you can change your settings at
http://www.64studio.com/user/250.

Message:

Hi Ralf,

Changed your password to:

p@$$w0rd

Please change your password in the "My account" section after log-in

Cheers,
Quentin



Dangermouse is cool :), but I don't like Mickey Mouse. Don't worry, I've changed the password, it isn't Dangermouse any more.
I send this mail to the list, to prevent another administrator to do the work again.

Thank you and I'm sorry that you have done work, that wasn't necessary any more.

Cheers,
Ralf


_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

09-29-2008 11:01 PM

Password
 
I have a client that has forgotten his log in password for
his pc.* He is using the standard desktop addition and requires this pc for his
home office.* How do I change his login info?


*


*


Thank You,


*


Kevin Puchalski


In-Tech Solutions


kevin@in-techsolutions.com


www.in-techsolutions.com


*


*







--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Nils Kassube 10-02-2008 12:13 PM

Password
 
kevin@in-techsolutions.com wrote:
> I have a client that has forgotten his log in password for his pc. He
> is using the standard desktop addition and requires this pc for his
> home office. How do I change his login info?

I think you are looking for this page:

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword>


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Anthony M. Rasat" 10-03-2008 11:33 AM

Password
 
>I have a client that has forgotten >his log in password for his pc.* He >is using the standard desktop >addition and requires this pc for >his home office.* How do I change >his login info?

You need to start in single mode then change his password. Do this by appending kernel line in grub menu a single word "single" then press enter and b button to boot. You will enter command line mode without login as root. Change his password and reboot. You will be able to start login using this new password.

--

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Ruben Safir 10-03-2008 01:53 PM

Password
 
On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 11:33:36AM +0000, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> >I have a client that has forgotten >his log in password for his pc.* He >is using the standard desktop >addition and requires this pc for >his home office.* How do I change >his login info?
>
> You need to start in single mode then change his password. Do this by appending kernel line in grub menu a single word "single" then press enter and b button to boot. You will enter command line mode without login as root. Change his password and reboot. You will be able to start login using this new password.
>

This setting is sometimmes not enough if you have a password set on
single user mode. There is a solution to this as well, but I forget it
off the top of my head. It is on google though and it should be a quick
search.

The easiest way to deal with this, IMO, is boot off a live CD and remove
the entries from /etc/passwd and /ect/shadow for root. You'll then have
access.


Ruben


> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony M. Rasat
> Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
> PT. Jawa Pos National Network
> Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
> Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
> Indonesia.-
> Phone 02132185562
> Phone 081574217035
> Fax 02153651465
> Web http://www.jpnn.com
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Interesting Stuff
http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998

http://fairuse.nylxs.com DRM is THEFT - We are the STAKEHOLDERS - RI Safir 2002

"Yeah - I write Free Software...so SUE ME"

"The tremendous problem we face is that we are becoming sharecroppers to our own cultural heritage -- we need the ability to participate in our own society."

"> I'm an engineer. I choose the best tool for the job, politics be damned.<
You must be a stupid engineer then, because politcs and technology have been attached at the hip since the 1st dynasty in Ancient Egypt. I guess you missed that one."

Copyright for the Digital Millennium

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Nils Kassube 10-03-2008 02:07 PM

Password
 
Ruben Safir wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 11:33:36AM +0000, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> > You need to start in single mode then change his password. Do this by
> > appending kernel line in grub menu a single word "single" then press
> > enter and b button to boot. You will enter command line mode without
> > login as root. Change his password and reboot. You will be able to
> > start login using this new password.
>
> This setting is sometimmes not enough if you have a password set on
> single user mode.

What is a "password set on single user mode"? Can you explain what you are
talking about?

> The easiest way to deal with this, IMO, is boot off a live CD and
> remove the entries from /etc/passwd and /ect/shadow for root. You'll
> then have access.

Don't do that because then you don't have a root account any longer. That
is definitely NOT what you want. Furthermore it doesn't give you access
to your user account.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Pierre Frenkiel 10-03-2008 02:10 PM

Password
 
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Ruben Safir wrote:

>...
> The easiest way to deal with this, IMO, is boot off a live CD and remove
> the entries from /etc/passwd and /ect/shadow for root. You'll then have
> access.
that doesn't work too if you are using shadow passwords.
In that case, one solution is:
- boot from Ubuntu cd (alternate or live, but alternate is much faster)
- choose "repair a broken system"
- once the partition list is displayed, choose the linux root partition
- at the command prompt, type "passwd login_name"
and enter a new password
- exit
- go to the last line, and type <CR> . you get a message
"abort the installation" : select YES


--
Pierre Frenkiel

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Ruben Safir 10-03-2008 02:53 PM

Password
 
On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 04:10:45PM +0200, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Ruben Safir wrote:
>
> >...
> > The easiest way to deal with this, IMO, is boot off a live CD and remove
> > the entries from /etc/passwd and /ect/shadow for root. You'll then have
> > access.
> that doesn't work too if you are using shadow passwords.


No, factually that is incorrect. if you remove the password from the
shadow password file and from the password file, you can get right in.


I'd be happy to bet you 2 cheese cakes on this. This is th surefire way
to break into ANY unix system that you have your hands on the consel.

I don't know the experience of the people I'm speaking to on this list
but know I am speaking truth here. This is not a Ubuntu problem. It is
a standard *nix system admin problem and it is solved with your vi
editor, mount on a boot disk.



Ruben


> In that case, one solution is:
> - boot from Ubuntu cd (alternate or live, but alternate is much faster)
> - choose "repair a broken system"
> - once the partition list is displayed, choose the linux root partition
> - at the command prompt, type "passwd login_name"
> and enter a new password
> - exit
> - go to the last line, and type <CR> . you get a message
> "abort the installation" : select YES
>
>
> --
> Pierre Frenkiel
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Interesting Stuff
http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998

http://fairuse.nylxs.com DRM is THEFT - We are the STAKEHOLDERS - RI Safir 2002

"Yeah - I write Free Software...so SUE ME"

"The tremendous problem we face is that we are becoming sharecroppers to our own cultural heritage -- we need the ability to participate in our own society."

"> I'm an engineer. I choose the best tool for the job, politics be damned.<
You must be a stupid engineer then, because politcs and technology have been attached at the hip since the 1st dynasty in Ancient Egypt. I guess you missed that one."

Copyright for the Digital Millennium

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Ruben Safir 10-03-2008 02:57 PM

Password
 
On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 04:07:14PM +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Ruben Safir wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 11:33:36AM +0000, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> > > You need to start in single mode then change his password. Do this by
> > > appending kernel line in grub menu a single word "single" then press
> > > enter and b button to boot. You will enter command line mode without
> > > login as root. Change his password and reboot. You will be able to
> > > start login using this new password.
> >
> > This setting is sometimmes not enough if you have a password set on
> > single user mode.
>
> What is a "password set on single user mode"? Can you explain what you are
> talking about?
>


Yes - grub can be set up to demand a root password in single user mode
and as a matter of fact, debian distro's default to this setting and
have done so for more years than I care to remember.

> > The easiest way to deal with this, IMO, is boot off a live CD and
> > remove the entries from /etc/passwd and /ect/shadow for root. You'll
> > then have access.
>
> Don't do that because then you don't have a root account any longer.

A little common sense aplied would bring one to conclude that you don't
delete the whole entry, just the password in the files.

My apologies if I wasn't more explicit.

> That
> is definitely NOT what you want. Furthermore it doesn't give you access
> to your user account.


access to root gives you access to everything, but by all means, remove
the passwords from your user user accounts as well.

>
>
> Nils
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Interesting Stuff
http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998

http://fairuse.nylxs.com DRM is THEFT - We are the STAKEHOLDERS - RI Safir 2002

"Yeah - I write Free Software...so SUE ME"

"The tremendous problem we face is that we are becoming sharecroppers to our own cultural heritage -- we need the ability to participate in our own society."

"> I'm an engineer. I choose the best tool for the job, politics be damned.<
You must be a stupid engineer then, because politcs and technology have been attached at the hip since the 1st dynasty in Ancient Egypt. I guess you missed that one."

Copyright for the Digital Millennium

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Rashkae 10-03-2008 03:07 PM

Password
 
Ruben Safir wrote:


> access to root gives you access to everything, but by all means, remove
> the passwords from your user user accounts as well.
>

All that being said, participants in this thread should really read the
web page Nils linked to in his first reply... Boot from Cd? VI? comon
sense that when you said remove entry you mean remove password?
(Someone who has to ask how to recover a password won't even know how to
recognize the password in the shadow file to begin with!)

All these fine and well intended suggestions have turned a simple
molehill with a well documented/simple solution into Mnt. Everest.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.