Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
daniel mcfarland

Default Password

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Onnis Villalobos <onnisv@gmail.com> wrote:

you need boot with a live-cd, mount you HDD and renew you passwd.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Jitender Kiraria <jitu960@gmail.com> wrote:

I have forgotten Password to my Ubuntu 8.0 system........Is there any way to login or restore the password.......Please Someone help me !!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise I will have to format the system........Thanx.......

--
Jitu
9034317617

Onnis Jose

**boot into single user mode, and reset the password.
**and don't top post - it's against regulations.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Alan Pope

On 14 October 2010 21:38, daniel mcfarland <daniel.mcfarland@gmail.com> wrote:
> **boot into single user mode, and reset the password.
> **and don't top post - it's against regulations.

Lets not go there. Especially when you didn't trim the mail before
replying yourself. An equal cardinal sin!

Cheers,
Al;.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 21:43 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 14 October 2010 21:38, daniel mcfarland <daniel.mcfarland@gmail.com> wrote:
> > boot into single user mode, and reset the password.
> > and don't top post - it's against regulations.
>
> Lets not go there. Especially when you didn't trim the mail before
> replying yourself. An equal cardinal sin!

We love the sinners on this list, yet hate the sin. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 10-15-2010, 01:17 AM
NoOp

On 10/14/2010 04:12 AM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> You use
> Firefox and store passwords in there? Whoop, stole your passwords.

Really? You've not figure out how to use a master password on FireFox?

Perhaps these will help:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/db_formats.html
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Configuring+Firefox+for+FIPS+140-2

Mozilla have put considerable effort in securing passwords.

FUD

Old 10-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 18:17 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> Really? You've not figure out how to use a master password on FireFox?
>
> Perhaps these will help:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/db_formats.html
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Configuring+Firefox+for+FIPS+140-2
>
> Mozilla have put considerable effort in securing passwords.

Good job quoting out of context. Any ways:

First off, I know about the password managers master password, second,
there have been several vulnerabilities to Firefox's master password
over the years. And even though I love Firefox with all my heart, along
with Chrome, I will break that love for a second to prove the point that
you apparently missed the memo about the data leak on Firefox's password
manager, even with password protection. It was just patched on July
20th of this year, and it's not the first time it's happened. While
Mozilla did not directly acknowledge in the security notes, they did
acknowledge it's existence.

http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox36.html

Old 10-15-2010, 02:10 AM
NoOp

On 10/14/2010 06:41 PM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 18:17 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> Really? You've not figure out how to use a master password on FireFox?
>>
>> Perhaps these will help:
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/db_formats.html
>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Configuring+Firefox+for+FIPS+140-2
>>
>> Mozilla have put considerable effort in securing passwords.
>

> Good job quoting out of context. Any ways:

It wasn't quoted out of context at all. I quoted exactly what you
stated. You stated:

> You use
> Firefox and store passwords in there? Whoop, stole your passwords.

What is quoted out of context? Perhaps your reading comprehension is
failing?

> First off, I know about the password managers master password, second,
> there have been several vulnerabilities to Firefox's master password
> over the years. And even though I love Firefox with all my heart, along
> with Chrome, I will break that love for a second to prove the point that
> you apparently missed the memo about the data leak on Firefox's password
> manager, even with password protection. It was just patched on July
> 20th of this year, and it's not the first time it's happened. While
> Mozilla did not directly acknowledge in the security notes, they did
> acknowledge it's existence.
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox36.html

And *specifically* which of those are you referring to?

Your statement was generic FUD.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 19:10 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> Your statement was generic FUD.

Fail is fail. Figure it out for yourself. I'm not your R&D guy.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:30 AM
NoOp

On 10/14/2010 07:12 PM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 19:10 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> Your statement was generic FUD.
>
> Fail is fail. Figure it out for yourself. I'm not your R&D guy.

Got it...

Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Jacob Mansfield

and data still cannot leak out of a post it stuck on the back of your monitor!Jacob Mansfield
Programmer

Old 10-16-2010, 04:00 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:39:33 +0100
Mansfield wrote:

> and data still cannot leak out of a post it stuck on the back of your
> monitor!
> Jacob Mansfield
> Programmer

Sure, it can. The Wife (www.suziepaints.com) and I painted at night for
a plumbing business recently (we know the owner) and, while there, I
gathered up 25 AIX usernames and passwords from post its on monitor
backs and keyboard bottoms that I later passed to the boss just so he
would know how easy it can be. He regularly has cleaning crews in at
night and had no idea that the employees were keeping those in such
insecure places.
Just think, had /one/ cleaner done the same thing then /all/ the data
could have leaked out.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs