Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Password

On 14/10/2010 15:40, Steve Grace wrote:
> On 10/13/2010 09:11 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> I believe these are the steps (from memory):
>>>
>>> * Restart your computer
>>> * If you don't normally see the GRUB menu, hold the Shift key down until
>>> the menu appears
>>> * Select the "recovery mode" option
>>> * When asked for a what you want to do, choose a root shell
>>> * At the # prompt, enter:
>>>
>>> passwd your_user_name_here (for example, passwd jitu)
>>>
>>> * When prompted, enter your new password
>>> * At the # prompt, enter:
>>>
>>> exit
>>>
>>> You should then be all set. Good luck!
>>>

>> Probably the same thing but ESC is mentioned and not SHIFT- although I
>> do think that SHIFT applies to latest versions but may be wrong. What I
>> was looking for is this:
>>
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/3039
>>
> Basil, you're probably right. It's Shift now but is probably ESC for
> version 8.xx that Jitu has.

"Mein Gott"! I *may* be right! (Karl, eat your heart out!)

(OK, now awaiting the correction from NoOp..... :-) .)

BC

--
There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W C Fields

Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Colin Law

On 14 October 2010 06:15, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 14/10/2010 14:54, Jitender Kiraria wrote:
>> I have forgotten Password to my Ubuntu 8.0 system........Is there any
>> way to login or restore the password.......Please Someone help me
>> !!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise I will have to format the system........Thanx.......
>>
>> --
>> Jitu
>> 9034317617
>

> By the way, Jitender, the answers you received about how to solve your
> problem also spell out that your system - or anyone's system - is not
> safe just because you have provided a password to logon to your system.
>
> If your computer is stolen then anyone knowing the answers you have been
> given can get inside your system. Or, of course, if you allow someone to
> access your computer without your presence, the same thing....
>
> Which is why there is the recommendation that you encrypt your installation.

Though of course if he had encrypted then he would be completely stuffed now.

Is that an official Ubuntu recommendation?

Colin

Old 10-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Basil Chupin

On 14/10/2010 18:37, Colin Law wrote:
> On 14 October 2010 06:15, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> On 14/10/2010 14:54, Jitender Kiraria wrote:
>>
>>> I have forgotten Password to my Ubuntu 8.0 system........Is there any
>>> way to login or restore the password.......Please Someone help me
>>> !!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise I will have to format the system........Thanx.......
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jitu
>>> 9034317617
>>>

>> By the way, Jitender, the answers you received about how to solve your
>> problem also spell out that your system - or anyone's system - is not
>> safe just because you have provided a password to logon to your system.
>>
>> If your computer is stolen then anyone knowing the answers you have been
>> given can get inside your system. Or, of course, if you allow someone to
>> access your computer without your presence, the same thing....
>>
>> Which is why there is the recommendation that you encrypt your installation.
>>
> Though of course if he had encrypted then he would be completely stuffed now.
>
> Is that an official Ubuntu recommendation?
>
> Colin

There have been numerous posts from gurus here on this subject, Perhaps
they were all prompted by this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedFilesystems.

BC

Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Thierry de Coulon

On Thursday 14 October 2010, Colin Law wrote:
(...)
> > By the way, Jitender, the answers you received about how to solve your
> > problem also spell out that your system - or anyone's system - is not
> > safe just because you have provided a password to logon to your system.
> >
> > If your computer is stolen then anyone knowing the answers you have been
> > given can get inside your system. Or, of course, if you allow someone to
> > access your computer without your presence, the same thing....
> >
> > Which is why there is the recommendation that you encrypt your
> > installation.
>
> Though of course if he had encrypted then he would be completely stuffed
> now.
>
> Is that an official Ubuntu recommendation?
>
> Colin

Each one has to define risks and security for his own situation. I would
_never_ encrypt my system (a partition maybe) because the risk of being
locked out of my data is way bigger for me than the (fairly remote) risk of
someone sneeking into my data (to find what?).

If I were rich or if I had very valuable data it would be different.

Most of our data anyway are probably protected only by the user password so...

Thierry

--
"We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth, an there
is a vast ignorance of science" James Lovelock

Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 AM
David Fletcher

On Thursday 14 Oct 2010, Thierry de Coulon wrote:

> Each one has to define risks and security for his own situation. I would
> _never_ encrypt my system (a partition maybe) because the risk of being
> locked out of my data is way bigger for me than the (fairly remote) risk of
> someone sneeking into my data (to find what?).
>
> If I were rich or if I had very valuable data it would be different.
>
> Most of our data anyway are probably protected only by the user password
so...

> Thierry

I think I would say that the single most valuable and sensitive file on my
computer is my KDE wallet. That, I am assured, is securely encrypted by my
pass phrase. I don't know if there is an equivalent facility available in
gnome - I've not been playing with it for long enough - or export/import
facilities to move my passwords from one to the other.

Encrypting whole directories of information that don't necessarily need such
protection seems to me to be complete folly.

Dave

Old 10-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Basil Chupin

On 14/10/2010 21:37, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Thursday 14 Oct 2010, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
>
>> Each one has to define risks and security for his own situation. I would
>> _never_ encrypt my system (a partition maybe) because the risk of being
>> locked out of my data is way bigger for me than the (fairly remote) risk of
>> someone sneeking into my data (to find what?).
>>
>> If I were rich or if I had very valuable data it would be different.
>>
>> Most of our data anyway are probably protected only by the user password
>>
> so...
>
>> Thierry
>>

> I think I would say that the single most valuable and sensitive file on my
> computer is my KDE wallet. That, I am assured, is securely encrypted by my
> pass phrase. I don't know if there is an equivalent facility available in
> gnome - I've not been playing with it for long enough - or export/import
> facilities to move my passwords from one to the other.
>
> Encrypting whole directories of information that don't necessarily need such
> protection seems to me to be complete folly.
>
> Dave

As is normal in most cases, people tend to see things at the micro
rather than the macro level.

My post to Jitender was at the macro level - at a level where such a
discussion was participated in by many people earlier this year dealing
with security.

It is *YOUR* choice of what you do with your own system.

You can even post publicly your password for your logon to the computer
if you want. Nothing to stop you doing this.

In fact, seeing as how you have only your "KDE wallet" as the most
sensitive file, then why not post your logon password right now for all
to see?

Go on, do it - KDE wallet is encrypted, isn't it?

What's stopping you?

But that is NOT what my post to Jitender was about - was it?

BC

Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 11:37 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Thursday 14 Oct 2010, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> >
> > Each one has to define risks and security for his own situation. I would
> > _never_ encrypt my system (a partition maybe) because the risk of being
> > locked out of my data is way bigger for me than the (fairly remote) risk of
> > someone sneeking into my data (to find what?).
> >
> > If I were rich or if I had very valuable data it would be different.
> >
> > Most of our data anyway are probably protected only by the user password
> so...
> >
> > Thierry
> >

> I think I would say that the single most valuable and sensitive file on my
> computer is my KDE wallet. That, I am assured, is securely encrypted by my
> pass phrase. I don't know if there is an equivalent facility available in
> gnome - I've not been playing with it for long enough - or export/import
> facilities to move my passwords from one to the other.
>
> Encrypting whole directories of information that don't necessarily need such
> protection seems to me to be complete folly.

You can lock out single user mode, you can lock out entering kernel
options, you can password protect single user mode (with some run level
trickery.) You can lock out all grub super user options with a password
while allowing normal boot without a password.

Most of your user information is NOT protected by your password. Raise
your hand if you use Pidgin. Whoop, stole your passwords. You use
Firefox and store passwords in there? Whoop, stole your passwords.
Information protection is ultimately up to you, because only you can
decide what is important information. Directory permissions mean ass
when I can just reboot into single user mode.

Whole disk encryption isn't needed by everybody, but home folder
encryption is a good idea. There are some vulnerabilities to it, but
those are easily fixed by creating per user temp folders and per user
swap files.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:20 PM
NoOp

<http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword>

Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Jacob Mansfield

I would go as far as my real walet, I have an old pc case that I use as a safe, It's so old and dusty nobody would want to stael it, lolJacob Mansfield
Programmer