Old 10-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Pierre Frenkiel

Default Password

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Nils Kassube wrote:

> What is a "password set on single user mode"? Can you explain what you are
> talking about?
it's in the link you gave in your previous post:
single mode may give you:
"Give root password for maintenance"

>> The easiest way to deal with this, IMO, is boot off a live CD and
>> remove the entries from /etc/passwd and /ect/shadow for root. You'll
>> then have access.
>
> Don't do that because then you don't have a root account any longer. That
> is definitely NOT what you want. Furthermore it doesn't give you access
> to your user account.
I didn't read carefully: he said "remove the entries for root"
but of course, what you must do is remove the password entry for root (field 2)
in /etc/passwd.
I checked that it works in all cases.
Easy to try: do it, and open a console (<CTRL-ALT-F1>)
This can also be done after reboot. and you type then "passwd loginname"

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 10-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Nils Kassube

Ruben Safir wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 04:07:14PM +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Ruben Safir wrote:
> > >
> > > This setting is sometimmes not enough if you have a password set on
> > > single user mode.
> >
> > What is a "password set on single user mode"? Can you explain what
> > you are talking about?
>
> Yes - grub can be set up to demand a root password in single user mode
> and as a matter of fact, debian distro's default to this setting and
> have done so for more years than I care to remember.

OK, that is possible but not the default. Therefore I wouldn't expect this
situation because the OP doesn't mention it.

> > > The easiest way to deal with this, IMO, is boot off a live CD and
> > > remove the entries from /etc/passwd and /ect/shadow for root.
> > > You'll then have access.
> >
> > Don't do that because then you don't have a root account any longer.
>
> A little common sense aplied would bring one to conclude that you don't
> delete the whole entry, just the password in the files.

You know, there are sometimes very strange suggestions on this list.
Therefore I prefer not to apply too much common sense but only read what
was suggested. Better safe than sorry. And like Rashkae wrote, don't
expect that someone who asks how to reset the password will know what to
do with your advice.

Anyway, if I understand it right, you want to delete the root password.
But that is a very bad idea IMHO. Then you should have at least mentioned
that after doing that you would have to set a new password for root. Or
as a better alternative you should lock the root account again because
with Ubuntu we usually don't set a root password but have the account
locked instead. I know some people prefer to have a root password, but
that is not the default and should not be expected.

Nils

Old 10-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Ruben Safir

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 09:07:13PM +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Ruben Safir wrote:

> > > What is a "password set on single user mode"? Can you explain what
> > > you are talking about?
> >
> > Yes - grub can be set up to demand a root password in single user mode
> > and as a matter of fact, debian distro's default to this setting and
> > have done so for more years than I care to remember.
>
> OK, that is possible but not the default. Therefore I wouldn't expect this
> situation because the OP doesn't mention it.

Ummm - that is not correct.

> > > Don't do that because then you don't have a root account any longer.
> >
> > A little common sense aplied would bring one to conclude that you don't
> > delete the whole entry, just the password in the files.
>
> You know, there are sometimes very strange suggestions on this list.
> Therefore I prefer not to apply too much common sense but only read what
> was suggested. Better safe than sorry. And like Rashkae wrote, don't
> expect that someone who asks how to reset the password will know what to
> do with your advice.
>
> Anyway, if I understand it right, you want to delete the root password.

> But that is a very bad idea IMHO.

It is the best way to do it. If you think its a bad idea then you don't
understand gnu/linux.

> Then you should have at least mentioned
> that after doing that you would have to set a new password for root. Or
> as a better alternative you should lock the root account again because
> with Ubuntu we usually don't set a root password but have the account
> locked instead.

yeah that frankly sucks and I undid that the second I installed it.

> I know some people prefer to have a root password, but
> that is not the default and should not be expected.

Yeah, that is not so secure. Do a google on the hacks that involve
this.

I'll say this, I've learned to never give any advice on this list from my 20
years of expereince with Unix systems.

Ruben

> Nils

Copyright for the Digital Millennium

Old 10-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Rashkae

Ruben Safir wrote:

>> Anyway, if I understand it right, you want to delete the root password.
>

>> But that is a very bad idea IMHO.
>

> It is the best way to do it. If you think its a bad idea then you don't
> understand gnu/linux.

I understand gnu/linux very well, and I agree that it's a bad idea. If
you enabled the root account in Ubuntu (which is not by default) and
then forget the password, the best way to proceed is to boot directly
into /bin/bash as your init, and use the passwd command to create a new
password for root.

Coincidentally I'm sure, that's exactly what the instructions on ubuntu
help page say to do in this case.

The only reason someone should boot from CD is if this hypothetical
person also added a password to Grub, and forgot that password as well
as their root and user password. Gods help them if they also password
protected the bios and can't boot from cd (get your screwdriver out).
Course, I would seriously worry about a person *that* forgetful, and
would assume they are trying to break into a system not their own.

>> I know some people prefer to have a root password, but
>> that is not the default and should not be expected.
>>

> Yeah, that is not so secure. Do a google on the hacks that involve
> this.

Please point me to a source? I'm not aware of any inherent security
flaw with there being a root password, (besides users putting using a
dumb password, like 'password' that gets tested by every login attack as
a matter of course)

or you mean hacks against Ubuntu's disabled root password? Again, I ask
for source of this.

> I'll say this, I've learned to never give any advice on this list from my 20
> years of expereince with Unix systems.

You may have 20 years experience, and I'm sure you picked up lots of
useful knowledge. That doesn't mean you know everything, and can't
learn from others who also have much experience. We all do some things
the hard way.. Especially us old warhorses who are getting long in the
tooth and carry our tricks from 10 yrs ago forward into the brave new world.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:38 AM
Ruben Safir

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 09:44:21PM -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> Ruben Safir wrote:
>

> >> Anyway, if I understand it right, you want to delete the root password.
> >

> >> But that is a very bad idea IMHO.
> >

> > It is the best way to do it. If you think its a bad idea then you don't
> > understand gnu/linux.
>
> I understand gnu/linux very well, and I agree that it's a bad idea. If
> you enabled the root account in Ubuntu (which is not by default) and
> then forget the password, the best way to proceed is to boot directly
> into /bin/bash as your init, and use the passwd command to create a new
> password for root.

Last post on this

You need to work on it a bit more. Every sysadmin I know carries around
a bootabled disk just for this purpose. With the disk it is a 3 minute
fix.

Ruben

Old 10-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Derek Broughton

Ruben Safir wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 09:07:13PM +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Ruben Safir wrote:
>> > Yes - grub can be set up to demand a root password in single user mode
>> > and as a matter of fact, debian distro's default to this setting and
>> > have done so for more years than I care to remember.
>>
>> OK, that is possible but not the default. Therefore I wouldn't expect
>> this situation because the OP doesn't mention it.

> Ummm - that is not correct.

Ummm, yes it is. If Debian itself puts a _grub_ password on single-user
mode, it's started to do that since Sarge - the last release I used. In
any case, Ubuntu does NOT set a password for single-user login.

> It is the best way to do it. If you think its a bad idea then you don't
> understand gnu/linux.

No, editing /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow is a very bad idea, because it's too
easy to b0rk your entire system. Even with decades of Unix experience, I
don't do that.

>> Then you should have at least mentioned
>> that after doing that you would have to set a new password for root. Or
>> as a better alternative you should lock the root account again because
>> with Ubuntu we usually don't set a root password but have the account
>> locked instead.
>
> yeah that frankly sucks and I undid that the second I installed it.

Yeah, well apparently you have less of a clue than you think you do.

>> I know some people prefer to have a root password, but
>> that is not the default and should not be expected.
>>
> Yeah, that is not so secure. Do a google on the hacks that involve
> this.

Sorry, it's a great deal more secure. Don't google - _learn_.

> I'll say this, I've learned to never give any advice on this list from my
> 20 years of expereince with Unix systems.

??
--
derek

Old 10-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Derek Broughton

Ruben Safir wrote:

> You need to work on it a bit more. Every sysadmin I know carries around
> a bootabled disk just for this purpose. With the disk it is a 3 minute
> fix.

And you're the expert? It shouldn't take anywhere near 3 minutes.
--
derek

Old 02-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Per Qvindesland

Hi List

Does anyone know how I can configure it to auomaticly set the username as
the first password so the user can change the password on first login?

Regards
Per Qvindesland

Old 02-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Rob Crittenden

Per Qvindesland wrote:

Hi List

Does anyone know how I can configure it to auomaticly set the username as
the first password so the user can change the password on first login?

Regards
Per Qvindesland

There isn't a configuration option for this. You'd need to change a
little bit of code.

Off the top of my head I think that in funcs.py in the add_user method
add a line like:

user['userpassword'] = user.get('uid')

You can put this just about anywhere in there, I'd put it around where
we check for and set homeDirectory, etc.

rob

Old 02-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Per Qvindesland

Hi

Thanks for replying, i will try but could you please give me a clue on where
I might find this file?

Kind regards
Per Qvindesland