Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Daniel James

Default My mix in the Bestival DJ competition

Hi all,

Somehow, a DJ mix I made got shortlisted for a competition, with the
prize being the chance to play a set at the Bestival festival here on
the Isle of Wight. You can find the mix here, listed under the name 'djdj':

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/Other/Bestival_Competition_DJs.aspx

The mixing is pretty rubbish, but there are some good songs in there. If
you all vote for my mix, I might get into the second round of three
finalists, who have to play a live set.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 05-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi Daniel,

|--==> Daniel James writes:

DJ> Hi all,
DJ> Somehow, a DJ mix I made got shortlisted for a competition, with the
DJ> prize being the chance to play a set at the Bestival festival here on
DJ> the Isle of Wight. You can find the mix here, listed under the name 'djdj':

DJ> http://www.iwcp.co.uk/Other/Bestival_Competition_DJs.aspx

DJ> The mixing is pretty rubbish, but there are some good songs in there. If
DJ> you all vote for my mix, I might get into the second round of three
DJ> finalists, who have to play a live set.

I can't listen to it, does the it require flash somehow? (I'm using gnash..)

Ciao,

Free

Old 05-26-2008, 03:38 PM
"Paul Wise"

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Free Ekanayaka <free@64studio.com> wrote:

> I can't listen to it, does the it require flash somehow? (I'm using gnash..)

Doesn't work in sid swfdec either - looks like it is dancing

You can however download the flv and play that in totem/vlc/mplayer/etc:

http://www.iwcpgallery.co.uk/Poll/BestivalDJs/Music/djdj.flv

ffmpeg can also strip out the mp3 audio and put it in an mp3 file.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 05-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Free Ekanayaka <free@64studio.com> wrote:
>

>> I can't listen to it, does the it require flash somehow? (I'm using gnash..)
>>

> Doesn't work in sid swfdec either - looks like it is dancing
>
> You can however download the flv and play that in totem/vlc/mplayer/etc:
>
> http://www.iwcpgallery.co.uk/Poll/BestivalDJs/Music/djdj.flv
>
> ffmpeg can also strip out the mp3 audio and put it in an mp3 file.

I also had to download it. I don't like that music at the end of the
mix, that I naive call D'n'B, but that might be called different. I
voted for DJDJ. By the way DJs, can anybody write me on which release I
can find "Shaking Street" the unplugged version from the MC5? One of my
defective DAT-recorders eat the tape with this recording.

Good luck with the contest,
Ralf

Old 05-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi Paul,

|--==> Paul Wise writes:

PW> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Free Ekanayaka <free@64studio.com> wrote:
>>I can't listen to it, does the it require flash somehow? (I'm using gnash..)

PW> Doesn't work in sid swfdec either - looks like it is dancing

PW> You can however download the flv and play that in totem/vlc/mplayer/etc:

PW> http://www.iwcpgallery.co.uk/Poll/BestivalDJs/Music/djdj.flv

PW> ffmpeg can also strip out the mp3 audio and put it in an mp3 file.

Thanks for the link, nice music

Free

Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Susan Dridi

Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Free Ekanayaka <free@64studio.com> wrote:
>
>> I can't listen to it, does the it require flash somehow? (I'm using gnash..)
>
> Doesn't work in sid swfdec either - looks like it is dancing
>
> You can however download the flv and play that in totem/vlc/mplayer/etc:
>
> http://www.iwcpgallery.co.uk/Poll/BestivalDJs/Music/djdj.flv
>
> ffmpeg can also strip out the mp3 audio and put it in an mp3 file.

I was able to download it and open it with MPlayer. But not Totem. Totem
tells me I don't have the necessary codecs installed, but it doesn't
tell me which one(s) I am missing. Which is why I installed MPlayer. I
really like VLC, but have given up on it. It doesn't work with Jack and
I don't know how to compile it to make it work with Jack, without
messing everything up.

Daniel's file didn't appear to have video, but one thing I've noticed
with video playback in MPlayer is that the video and the audio are often
out of sync and I don't know how to fix that. I don't use Totem for
video, since it doesn't recognize much, though it's great for playing
wav, mp3 and ogg files and audio playlists.

Btw, the firefox download helper extension works great for a lot of
sites (not all). I don't use the YouTube download package that comes
with 64Studio, since it only works for YouTube.

The nsplugginwrapper and flashplugin-nonfree packages work great for
many flash sites. I don't use gnash. Now that I've got some cheap
speakers plugged into my onboard sound, I can listen to bassplayer.tv,
woohoo:-) But nothing seems to be working for MySpace these days. They
must have "improved" something.

Take care,

-Susan

Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Daniel James

Hi Susan,

> nothing seems to be working for MySpace these days. They
> must have "improved" something.

MySpace does appear to work with the combination of Firefox 3 beta and
Adobe's Flash plugin. A debianified version is in the experimental
repository:

http://packages.debian.org/experimental/iceweasel

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 05-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Daniel James

Hi Susan,

> I was able to download it and open it with MPlayer. But not Totem. Totem
> tells me I don't have the necessary codecs installed, but it doesn't
> tell me which one(s) I am missing.

Probably the http://packages.debian.org/etch/gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
package.

You can also download my original mix, before it was Flash encoded, from:

http://mondodesigno.com/tmp/djdj.mp3

There's still time to vote, folks :-)

Old 05-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Susan,
>

>> I was able to download it and open it with MPlayer. But not Totem. Totem
>> tells me I don't have the necessary codecs installed, but it doesn't
>> tell me which one(s) I am missing.

VLC seems to be the player with little problems for 64 Studio. For me
VLC nearly plays everything, only stopp, fast-forward etc. aren't fine.
All the other players for 64 Studio often don't play some codecs.

> Probably the http://packages.debian.org/etch/gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
> package.
>
> You can also download my original mix, before it was Flash encoded, from:
>
> http://mondodesigno.com/tmp/djdj.mp3
>
> There's still time to vote, folks :-)

I've voted for DJDJ . I'm fine with the music at the beginning of the mix.

Cheers,
Ralf