Old 05-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default How to install packages for Debian

Hi

first of all I enabled the Etch backports by Synaptic, but installation
with dpkg -i won't work.

The 2 packages are from http://cassmodiah.de/20080426-debian-tork-028/.

64studio:/home/spinymouse/Desktop/tmp/tork# ls
tork_0.28-1_i386.deb tork-data_0.28-1_all.deb
64studio:/home/spinymouse/Desktop/tmp/tork# dpkg -i tork_0.28-1_i386.deb
tork-data_0.28-1_all.deb
dpkg-deb: `tork_0.28-1_i386.deb' is not a debian format archive
dpkg: error processing tork_0.28-1_i386.deb (--install):
subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
dpkg-deb: `tork-data_0.28-1_all.deb' is not a debian format archive
dpkg: error processing tork-data_0.28-1_all.deb (--install):
subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
tork_0.28-1_i386.deb
tork-data_0.28-1_all.deb

I don't know how to install .deb, I'm only fine with ,rpm.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-24-2008, 09:32 AM
tim hall

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi
>
> first of all I enabled the Etch backports by Synaptic, but installation
> with dpkg -i won't work.
>
> The 2 packages are from http://cassmodiah.de/20080426-debian-tork-028/.
>
> 64studio:/home/spinymouse/Desktop/tmp/tork# ls
> tork_0.28-1_i386.deb tork-data_0.28-1_all.deb
> 64studio:/home/spinymouse/Desktop/tmp/tork# dpkg -i tork_0.28-1_i386.deb
> tork-data_0.28-1_all.deb
> dpkg-deb: `tork_0.28-1_i386.deb' is not a debian format archive
> dpkg: error processing tork_0.28-1_i386.deb (--install):
> subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
> dpkg-deb: `tork-data_0.28-1_all.deb' is not a debian format archive
> dpkg: error processing tork-data_0.28-1_all.deb (--install):
> subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
> tork_0.28-1_i386.deb
> tork-data_0.28-1_all.deb
>
> I don't know how to install .deb, I'm only fine with ,rpm.

Yes you do. The packages you downloaded are either corrupt or badly built.

cheers,

tim

Old 05-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Gustin Johnson

Your syntax with dpkg is correct.

I got an internal server error when I tried to download that file that
you were trying to install.

You can use the "file" utility to see if the deb is actually a deb file.

file /var/cache/apt/archives/rsync_2.6.9-5ubuntu1.1_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/rsync_2.6.9-5ubuntu1.1_i386.deb: Debian binary
package (format 2.0)

If the file is not corrupt but just improperly packaged, you can
sometimes do a dpkg --unpack, fix the problem, repack and install. You
probably don't want to bother with this option though.

Hth,

Old 05-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

tim hall wrote:
>> I don't know how to install .deb, I'm only fine with ,rpm.
>
> Yes you do. The packages you downloaded are either corrupt or badly
> built.
>
> cheers,
>
> tim

Thanks Tim and Gustin,

I know. Two days ago Gustin wrote me that dpkg -i is the right way to
install packages. Now I have "good" packages but I'm not sure if I'll
install them, because of all the dependencies. Also the proprietary ATI
driver isn't fine for my Radeon X1250 (maybe because of the kernel).

At the moment I guess, the best thing to do, is to use 64 Studio only as
a stable DAW and to use Suse again for anything else. It seems to be
possible to install all I need to 64 Studio, but perhaps the DAW will
become unstable.

Maybe it's better to have a dual boot, 64 Studio and Suse or a second 64
Studio.

Off topic:

"Reading about Captain Beefheard, Os Mutantes etc. makes me afraid that we are dinosaurs."

I've to add that I can't speak for "the youth". I lived together with gypsy musicians (Yugoslavian Roma) and only the male kids are learning how to make music, but the girls and the boys only listen to gangster rap and Bollywood music. I think most German kids making music with the computer only knows techno and gothic. I asked a German woman, older than 30 years, her name is Julia, if she knows the grandiose Beatles Song named Julia and she just heard about The Beatles, never listened to that song. I'm 41 and some (not a few) Germans, only 10 years younger than I, don't know The Beatles. By the way, talking about The Beatles, I won't miss the cover art, e.g. The Beatles with parts of the bodies of baby dolls and real meat, the "butcher cover". I haven't the original myself. I think cover art isn't fine on CDs. I don't think that there is someone to identify on a Sgt. Peppers CD cover.

Cheers,
Ralf "the dinosaur"

Old 05-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Daniel James

Hi Ralf,

> By the
> way, talking about The Beatles, I won't miss the cover art, e.g. The
> Beatles with parts of the bodies of baby dolls and real meat, the
> "butcher cover". I haven't the original myself.

That was a US release, and is extremely rare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday_and_Today#The_.22Butcher_cover.22

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 05-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
>> By the
>> way, talking about The Beatles, I won't miss the cover art, e.g. The
>> Beatles with parts of the bodies of baby dolls and real meat, the
>> "butcher cover". I haven't the original myself.
>
> That was a US release, and is extremely rare:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday_and_Today#The_.22Butcher_cover.22
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Yes, it's inside one of my The Beatles Rarities, the EMI / PARLOPHONE
from 1980, not to mix up with the blue cover "Rarities" from Apple 1978.
I was born in 1966, so I'm to young to have the original, also I'm from
Germany. I'm not a collector, my records are from the time they have
been released or they are reinvestments.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
>
>> Hi Ralf,
>>

>>> By the
>>> way, talking about The Beatles, I won't miss the cover art, e.g. The
>>> Beatles with parts of the bodies of baby dolls and real meat, the
>>> "butcher cover". I haven't the original myself.
>>>
>> That was a US release, and is extremely rare:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday_and_Today#The_.22Butcher_cover.22
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> Yes, it's inside one of my The Beatles Rarities, the EMI / PARLOPHONE
> from 1980, not to mix up with the blue cover "Rarities" from Apple 1978.
> I was born in 1966, so I'm to young to have the original, also I'm from
> Germany.
PS
> I'm not a collector, my records are from the time they have
> been released or they are reinvestments.

What I tried to say is, that I bought some records, when I was young.
(They still from the time they are, if someone will buy an old one today )

If I will buy a record today I prefer not to expensive once , so I
simply buy no first releases.