Old 05-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Dragan Noveski

Default setting up a phenom machine

hallo list,
currently i am working on a ibm-thinkpad r50e. i begun some years ago
installing agnula, but than i switched to debian testing, which is
working very fine here.
every audio software i am using is self compiled, even alsa, jack,
ardour etc.

now i am thinking about setting up a new machine. the components should
be this ones:

cpu: amd phenom9850-x4-b3
mobo: gigabyte ma78gm-s2h
ps: raptox 500w
case: antec three hundred
ram: 2X ddram2 2048MB/667 kingston cl5
system hd: samsung 80GB, 7200u, sata2
data hd: the same, but 750GB
(still missing an cd/dvd drive which will burn the toc cd-text with
cdrdao correctly.
audio: rme-multiface+pci

so this is all new for me...
is here sth in the list, someone would say 'don't touch it' (i don't expect)
does anyone can say anything about the phenom cpu?
should i run it 32 or 64 bit mode?
also, if anyone has any recommendation about a cdrdao capable cdrom
drive, please!

any comments welcome!

cheers,
doc

Old 05-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Dragan Noveski

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> cpu: amd phenom9850
>>
>> does anyone can say anything about the phenom cpu?
>>

> I can't, but you should be careful with buying to modern hardware.
>
> My AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 on an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI seems to be fine with
> 64studio 2.1rc. 64bit, but I've heard about trouble with Windows and
> Memtest isn't fine with my RAMs, 64studio seems to be fine with the RAMs.
>
> It seems to be, that AMD Dual-Cores are fine with 64bit Linux, but new
> hardware like the ASUS M2A-VM HDMI might be critical.
>
> Perhaps it won't be wise to buy a Quad Core?! You should search several
> forums.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

thanks for the answer ralf!
belive me, i am hardly doing sth else in the moment, as researching
about this.

cheers,
doc

Old 05-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Daniel James

Hi Dragan,

> i am thinking about setting up a new machine. the components should
> be this ones:
>
> cpu: amd phenom9850-x4-b3

We haven't tested a Phenom yet, but it should work. We'd be very
interested to hear your reports.

> should i run it 32 or 64 bit mode?

Definitely AMD64. You should probably also use jackdmp (the forthcoming
JACK 2.0) on a four-core machine.

> also, if anyone has any recommendation about a cdrdao capable cdrom
> drive, please!

The NEC generic DVD-RW drives are very good for the money. Try using
gcdmaster to burn the toc with cd-text, and please let us know of any bugs.

Cheers!
Daniel

Old 05-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Dragan Noveski

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Dragan,
>
>> i am thinking about setting up a new machine. the components should
>> be this ones:
>>
>> cpu: amd phenom9850-x4-b3
>
> We haven't tested a Phenom yet, but it should work. We'd be very
> interested to hear your reports.
ok, i can hardy wait to report. should happen sometimes in the next week!

>> should i run it 32 or 64 bit mode?
>
> Definitely AMD64. You should probably also use jackdmp (the
> forthcoming JACK 2.0) on a four-core machine.
in the moment i am using the (buggy) jackd0.109.2 which i compiled myself.
would i need a wrapper or is the jackdmp working natively in 64std.?

>> also, if anyone has any recommendation about a cdrdao capable cdrom
>> drive, please!
>
> The NEC generic DVD-RW drives are very good for the money. Try using
> gcdmaster to burn the toc with cd-text, and please let us know of any
> bugs.
i am happy with cdrdao, which gcdmaster is using too. could you specify
any model out of nec? that would help me a lot.

> Cheers!
> Daniel

cheers,
doc

Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Dragan Noveski

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Dragan,
>
>> i am thinking about setting up a new machine. the components should
>> be this ones:
>>
>> cpu: amd phenom9850-x4-b3
>
> We haven't tested a Phenom yet, but it should work. We'd be very
> interested to hear your reports.
>
>> should i run it 32 or 64 bit mode?
>
> Definitely AMD64. You should probably also use jackdmp (the
> forthcoming JACK 2.0) on a four-core machine.
>
>> also, if anyone has any recommendation about a cdrdao capable cdrom
>> drive, please!
>
> The NEC generic DVD-RW drives are very good for the money. Try using
> gcdmaster to burn the toc with cd-text, and please let us know of any
> bugs.
do you mean any out of nec-nd35xxA/45xxA ?

cheers,
doc

Old 05-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Dragan Noveski

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Dragan,
>
>> i am thinking about setting up a new machine. the components should
>> be this ones:
>>
>> cpu: amd phenom9850-x4-b3
>
> We haven't tested a Phenom yet, but it should work. We'd be very
> interested to hear your reports.
>
>> should i run it 32 or 64 bit mode?
>
> Definitely AMD64. You should probably also use jackdmp (the
> forthcoming JACK 2.0) on a four-core machine.
>
>> also, if anyone has any recommendation about a cdrdao capable cdrom
>> drive, please!
>
> The NEC generic DVD-RW drives are very good for the money. Try using
> gcdmaster to burn the toc with cd-text, and please let us know of any
> bugs.
there are also lot of sony-nec-optiarc-adXXXX and sony-nec-adXXXX
available nearby here.
what about them?

cheers,
doc

Old 05-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Daniel James

Hi Dragan,

> in the moment i am using the (buggy) jackd0.109.2 which i compiled myself.

jackd development is a little volatile at the moment. It should settle
down soon.

> would i need a wrapper or is the jackdmp working natively in 64std.?

It works natively. I would recommend a fresh SVN checkout, as I doubt
jackdmp has had much testing on Phenom yet:
http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html

That way you can report your findings to the jackdmp developers, and try
out some patches against the latest SVN sources.

> i am happy with cdrdao, which gcdmaster is using too. could you specify
> any model out of nec? that would help me a lot.

I personally use an ND-2500A in my workstation, and it works great. It
looks very similar in specification to the current model AD-5200A. The
AD-7200A looks the same but with DVD-RAM support, although I've never
tested that format myself.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Dragan Noveski

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Dragan,
>
>> in the moment i am using the (buggy) jackd0.109.2 which i compiled
>> myself.
>
> jackd development is a little volatile at the moment. It should settle
> down soon.
>
>> would i need a wrapper or is the jackdmp working natively in 64std.?
>
> It works natively. I would recommend a fresh SVN checkout, as I doubt
> jackdmp has had much testing on Phenom yet:
> http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html
>
> That way you can report your findings to the jackdmp developers, and
> try out some patches against the latest SVN sources.
>
>> i am happy with cdrdao, which gcdmaster is using too. could you
>> specify any model out of nec? that would help me a lot.
>
> I personally use an ND-2500A in my workstation, and it works great. It
> looks very similar in specification to the current model AD-5200A. The
> AD-7200A looks the same but with DVD-RAM support, although I've never
> tested that format myself.

ok, very much thanks for the input.
i think i ll get an AD-7200A for first in order to being able to even
run the installer dvd and see if it works for cdrdao. it is pretty cheap
=30€ !
if not i ll have to search more for another drive.

cheers,
doc

Old 05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Ralf Mardorf

>> The
>> AD-7200A looks the same but with DVD-RAM support, although I've never
>> tested that format myself.
>>

> i think i ll get an AD-7200A

Hi Dragan

if you get the DVD-RAM working with 64studio please let me know how. I
have a DVD-RAM drive but it only will work with Suse.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>> The
>>> AD-7200A looks the same but with DVD-RAM support, although I've never
>>> tested that format myself.
>>>

>> i think i ll get an AD-7200A
>>

> Hi Dragan
>
> if you get the DVD-RAM working with 64studio please let me know how. I
> have a DVD-RAM drive but it only will work with Suse.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

PS: DVD-R +R -RW +RW CD-R -RW of my drive are fine, only DVD-RAM won't
work with 64studio.