Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default setting up a phenom machine

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Dragan,
>

>> still hunting for an cdrdao compatible cd-writer here...
>>

> I've been looking into this, and saw a forum posting that a Pioneer DVR
> 107 D fitted to a Mac was able to write CD-TEXT. That's an old model,
> but I called Pioneer here in the UK and their tech support said the 110,
> 115 and 212 models can write CD-TEXT. The 110 is no longer available,
> the 115 is IDE and the 212 is SATA. Locally I can only buy a 215, which
> I'm guessing is an update on the 212 model, but...
>
> I'm going to try a 115 and see if it works with cdrdao/gcdmaster. If
> not, perhaps a software tweak is required in the distro.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Hi

maybe Nero Linux 3 can be a temporarily solution as long no burner is
found that will work with FOSS?
Nero Linux 3 alleged should write CD-Text and for non-profit facilities
the licence costs 4,- EUR.
http://www.educheck.de/shop/shop39974-4073.cfm

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Daniel James

Hi Ralf,

> maybe Nero Linux 3 can be a temporarily solution as long no burner is
> found that will work with FOSS?

The Free Software side isn't the problem, we have all the software tools
up to and including Blu-Ray support. The problem is that most people
don't know or care about CD-TEXT metadata because they are not making
CDs of original material. Therefore many hardware burners do not have
the ability to burn data in the subchannels of the disc, because people
don't ask for the feature.

The alternative to CD-TEXT is online lookup services like CDDB/Gracenote
or MusicBrainz, but they suck for short-run CD-R releases, because they
just return 'unknown artist', or even the wrong artist/track metadata.
And of course they don't work if the playback or ripping device is not
online.

> Nero Linux 3 alleged should write CD-Text and for non-profit facilities
> the licence costs 4,- EUR.
> http://www.educheck.de/shop/shop39974-4073.cfm

Right, but cdrdao already supports CD-TEXT, and so does its Gnome CD
Master front-end. Free Software isn't just about the price ;-)

Cheers!

Daniel