Old 06-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Dragan Noveski

Default setting up a phenom machine

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Dragan,

>>> The NEC generic DVD-RW drives are very good for the money. Try using
>>> gcdmaster to burn the toc with cd-text, and please let us know of
>>> any bugs.
>> i am happy with cdrdao, which gcdmaster is using too.
>
> I tested the DVD burner in my HP laptop with gcdmaster to write
> CD-TEXT, and it didn't work; the text did not show up in my wife's
> Kenwood car CD player, which normally displays CD-TEXT.
>
> I thought all modern drives could write CD-TEXT, but it doesn't appear
> to be the case, at least not with gcdmaster or cdrdao.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

yeah, i already found out that it is not easy to find one which will
work with cdrdao.
the documentation, which i found online is so old, that you will not
find any supported model to buy. but i really need one!!
anyway, i was not having time to get to the dealer and buy the hardware,
but it should happen this week, and i ll report!

cheers,
doc

Old 06-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Dragan Noveski

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Dragan,

>>> The NEC generic DVD-RW drives are very good for the money. Try using
>>> gcdmaster to burn the toc with cd-text, and please let us know of
>>> any bugs.
>> i am happy with cdrdao, which gcdmaster is using too.
>
> I tested the DVD burner in my HP laptop with gcdmaster to write
> CD-TEXT, and it didn't work; the text did not show up in my wife's
> Kenwood car CD player, which normally displays CD-TEXT.
>
> I thought all modern drives could write CD-TEXT, but it doesn't appear
> to be the case, at least not with gcdmaster or cdrdao.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

neither sony-nec-optiarc-ad-7200 is cdrdao compatible. means, it will
write the toc file and i can listen to the music after, but no cd text
is written.

still hunting for an cdrdao compatible cd-writer here...

cheers,
doc

Old 06-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Dragan Noveski

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Dragan,
>
>> i am thinking about setting up a new machine. the components should
>> be this ones:
>>
>> cpu: amd phenom9850-x4-b3
>
> We haven't tested a Phenom yet, but it should work. We'd be very
> interested to hear your reports.

the first tests i did with the phenom 9750, gigabyte ma790fx-dq6 and
64studio-2.1 really all looks good! actually really good.
the installation went super smooth.
i got an pci card for my multiface, which i am using for some years with
the card bus now, so i was afraid that it will be some revision
missmatch, but nada - the card is recognized and all works well. it
seems that i cannot change the irq to sth else that 21, but the rme is
alone on that irq, so that might be ok. also the rtirq script which is
running before at the end of the booting, gives to that irq an proper
priority.

the problem i have now is that the internet connection in my studio is
broken and it does not looks easy for alice-dsl to fix this! as soon as
internet works again, i will remove a lot of software (like jack,
ardour...) and install by myself again, giving jackdmp a try off course.
also i am gonna get rid of the gdm/gnome stuff and put an proper
fluxbox-v1.0 on the machine.

an advice to the developer here: since 64studio is meant for 64bit, the
chance is that the machines where we install it will have more than one
cpu. so, why not include the appi 'htop' into the default installation?
would be very useful.

so far for now - if i find anything else which is generally, i ll come
back to this thread.

thanks for the 2.1 release, it really rocks!

cheers,
doc

Old 06-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> the problem i have now is that the internet connection in my studio is
> broken and it does not looks easy for alice-dsl to fix this!

My provider is Alice Germany in the Ruhrgebiet, I always have troubles
with Alice, e.g. Alice ignores the RFCs, because they won't set up an
postmaster account I'm not able to use sorceforge mailing lists. Since
some days the internet connection is interrupted, again and again, it's
not off all the time. I guess it's because of the soccer EM.

Alice sucks! They do everything against Linux they can do and they do
everything that's possible to rip off their customers.

I don't know which provider is better. I changed from another corrupt
provider to Alice.

> as soon as
> internet works again, i will remove a lot of software

Is it possible now to use the DVD with Synaptic?

> so, why not include the appi 'htop' into the default installation?
> would be very useful.

I didn't know htop until now, but it seems to replace top for me.

> the card seems to work very good. i used to use the onboard graphic of
> my laptop, so using the gf7300le feels for me like REALLY FAST. if i
> grab region in ardour and want to drag it to another place in the
> session, i really have to got used with that speed.
>
> my recommendation to get one of these video cards!

I've seen it in the net for ca. 20,- EUR but I'm not sure if I should
buy a 84xx or 85xx.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Dragan Noveski

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> the problem i have now is that the internet connection in my studio is
>> broken and it does not looks easy for alice-dsl to fix this!
>>

> My provider is Alice Germany in the Ruhrgebiet, I always have troubles
> with Alice, e.g. Alice ignores the RFCs, because they won't set up an
> postmaster account I'm not able to use sorceforge mailing lists. Since
> some days the internet connection is interrupted, again and again, it's
> not off all the time. I guess it's because of the soccer EM.
>
> Alice sucks! They do everything against Linux they can do and they do
> everything that's possible to rip off their customers.
>
> I don't know which provider is better. I changed from another corrupt
> provider to Alice.

i came into all this alice, since the silkscreen workshop where my
studio is located is using this for don't know how long. but i could not
hear anything good in last months from people who are using alice...i
really do not like this company.

>> as soon as
>> internet works again, i will remove a lot of software
>>

> Is it possible now to use the DVD with Synaptic?

is kinda strange...
i changed some entries in /etc/fstab and than it worked, so i could
install the video drivers.
but for the future i really need a connection again.

>> so, why not include the appi 'htop' into the default installation?
>> would be very useful.
>>

> I didn't know htop until now, but it seems to replace top for me.

htop is great. replaced top here too when i first time heard of it!

>> the card seems to work very good. i used to use the onboard graphic of
>> my laptop, so using the gf7300le feels for me like REALLY FAST. if i
>> grab region in ardour and want to drag it to another place in the
>> session, i really have to got used with that speed.
>>
>> my recommendation to get one of these video cards!
>>

> I've seen it in the net for ca. 20,- EUR but I'm not sure if I should
> buy a 84xx or 85xx.

the advice to get sth fanless is ok. although, it seems that the 7300
gets pretty warm/hot.
but it works..

cheers,
doc

Old 06-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Ralf Mardorf

>>> so, why not include the appi 'htop' into the default installation?
>>> would be very useful.
>>>

>> I didn't know htop until now, but it seems to replace top for me.
>>

> htop is great. replaced top here too when i first time heard of it!

I could use Ctrl + Esc, this is the shortcut for KDE's ProcessTable,
similar to htop, but because I'm using Yakuake I prefer to have it for
the terminal emulation, because there I can run several applications and
see them with one shortcut on each desktop.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Gustin Johnson

Old 06-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> |> htop is great. replaced top here too when i first time heard of it!
> |
> | I could use Ctrl + Esc, this is the shortcut for KDE's ProcessTable,
> | similar to htop, but because I'm using Yakuake I prefer to have it for
> | the terminal emulation, because there I can run several applications and
> | see them with one shortcut on each desktop.
> |
> htop is pretty for light duty, but when I really need to see what is
> happening I use atop. I also tend to use 2 second refresh intervals.
> Just another tool in the tool chest.
>
> Both atop and htop are an apt/aptitude/synaptic/adept away. If you want
> them then simply install them from the repositories.

Thank you for the tip

I like atop too. Should root run atop? Running it as user I get "open
account-file: Permission denied warning: no process exit detection!"
before it starts.

Cheers
Ralf

Old 06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Daniel James

Hi Dragan,

> still hunting for an cdrdao compatible cd-writer here...

I've been looking into this, and saw a forum posting that a Pioneer DVR
107 D fitted to a Mac was able to write CD-TEXT. That's an old model,
but I called Pioneer here in the UK and their tech support said the 110,
115 and 212 models can write CD-TEXT. The 110 is no longer available,
the 115 is IDE and the 212 is SATA. Locally I can only buy a 215, which
I'm guessing is an update on the 212 model, but...

I'm going to try a 115 and see if it works with cdrdao/gcdmaster. If
not, perhaps a software tweak is required in the distro.

Cheers!

Daniel