Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default setting up a phenom machine

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>
>> You can get some of the 7000 series that are fanless, which may be a
>> good idea for a DAW. I have a 7100 that is fanless in one of my machines.
>>

> Good idea! And buy a power supply with a inlying fan, with a high
> diameter. I'm using a CP-420 around 15,00€. It has a 12cm fan and it's
> the only fan in my computer. The CPU is a AMD Dual-Core that just needs
> 45W. My computer is in a very simple case, but there's nearly nothing to
> hear. There is no need for a expensive case.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

There might be different versions of the CP-420 power supply.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>>

>>> You can get some of the 7000 series that are fanless, which may be a
>>> good idea for a DAW. I have a 7100 that is fanless in one of my machines.
>>>

>> Good idea! And buy a power supply with a inlying fan, with a high
>> diameter. I'm using a CP-420 around 15,00€.

>> It has a 12cm fan and it's
>> the only fan in my computer.

Sorry, the CPU also has a fan, but it's well regulated and the
temperature is something around 40°C.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Dragan Noveski

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Dragan Noveski wrote:
>> thanks quentin, this is really a response which i was hoping to get!
>> as i look here the 6200 series are to get for about 30€ which for me
>> seems ok.
>> sth. like this one:
>>
>> http://mec.online-reseller.de/eshop.php?action=aid_search
>
> This one
> http://mec.online-reseller.de/eshop.php?action=article_detail&s_supplier_aid=136 7292&position=2&anzahl_treffer=343
>

> based on Geforce 7300 should be more than adequate (and better than
> the 6200 as well... 20€!)
>
> The following GPU's are supported:

hallo and very much thanks for that recommendations!
what is meant by 'supported'. if it says 'maximal screen supprted =2'
like here:

http://mec.online-reseller.de/eshop.php?action=article_list

should i expect being able to drive 2 screens with that?
i mean 2 screens, with 2 different workspaces on it.

cheers,
doc

Old 05-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Dragan Noveski

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>
>> You can get some of the 7000 series that are fanless, which may be a
>> good idea for a DAW. I have a 7100 that is fanless in one of my machines.
>>

> Good idea! And buy a power supply with a inlying fan, with a high
> diameter. I'm using a CP-420 around 15,00€. It has a 12cm fan and it's
> the only fan in my computer. The CPU is a AMD Dual-Core that just needs
> 45W. My computer is in a very simple case, but there's nearly nothing to
> hear. There is no need for a expensive case.

the phenom eats 125W, that says all!

cheers,
doc

Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Dragan Noveski wrote:

>> And buy a power supply with a inlying fan, with a high
>> diameter. I'm using a CP-420 around 15,00€. It has a 12cm fan
>> The CPU is a AMD Dual-Core that just needs
>> 45W. My computer is in a very simple case, but there's nearly nothing to
>> hear. There is no need for a expensive case.
>>

> the phenom eats 125W, that says all!

Yes and no.

The Athlon X2 2,1GHz, the one I've got, needs 45W for 2 Cores. It's the
same with the 2,3GHz version of the Athlon X2. The 2,3GHz version of the
Phenom needs 95W. These wattages seems to be a little bit theoretical,
but accurate enough to read into:

95W / 2 dual-cores = 47,5W/dual-core

2 cores need 45W for the Athlon X2, resp. 47,5W for the Phenom. The
older EE (energy efficient) CPUs need 65W and they also might need less
fan-speed.

If yours need 95W and you use it as a DAW, the real wattage perhaps
won't become higher than that of a dual-core, resp. it will reach higher
values, if you are using more of the CPU resources, than a Athlon has got.

I don't know, but I can imagine that a Phenom's fan will be as silent as
my Athlon's fan and only in some cases, it will become as loud as an
oldish CPU, while doing heavy digital processing, that my Athlon won't
be able to do.

But you should take care of the power supply. It's not the overall
wattage you have to take care of, but the ampere of the different
voltages. The best thing is to confer to someone who knows about the
whole equipment. A CP-420W might be not fine with your hardware. I
haven't thought about it.

AMD's quiet fan technology is very good, the speed is very well
controlled. I don't think that your computer will be louder than mine,
but you might need a power supply with more headroom for special
circumstances.

The Debian 64bit port compiles with SSE2 by default, maybe some of the
Phenom's features, e.g. SSE3 and SSE4a won't take effect.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Dragan Noveski wrote:
>
>>> And buy a power supply with a inlying fan, with a high
>>> diameter. I'm using a CP-420 around 15,00€. It has a 12cm fan
>>> The CPU is a AMD Dual-Core that just needs
>>> 45W. My computer is in a very simple case, but there's nearly nothing to
>>> hear. There is no need for a expensive case.
>>>

>> the phenom eats 125W, that says all!
>>

> Yes and no.
>
> The Athlon X2 2,1GHz, the one I've got, needs 45W for 2 Cores. It's the
> same with the 2,3GHz version of the Athlon X2. The 2,3GHz version of the
> Phenom needs 95W. These wattages seems to be a little bit theoretical,
> but accurate enough to read into:

I'm not sure of that, because it's not easy to find data sheets saying
something about idle load and other loads and how much of the energy
will be transformed into thermal energy, but it might be near to a
calculation like this:

> 95W / 2 dual-cores = 47,5W/dual-core
>
> 2 cores need 45W for the Athlon X2, resp. 47,5W for the Phenom. The
> older EE (energy efficient) CPUs need 65W and they also might need less
> fan-speed.
>
> If yours need 95W

or 125W (but only if the CPU load is very high)

Old 05-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Dragan Noveski

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Dragan Noveski wrote:
>
>>> And buy a power supply with a inlying fan, with a high
>>> diameter. I'm using a CP-420 around 15,00€. It has a 12cm fan
>>> The CPU is a AMD Dual-Core that just needs
>>> 45W. My computer is in a very simple case, but there's nearly nothing to
>>> hear. There is no need for a expensive case.
>>>

>> the phenom eats 125W, that says all!
>>

> Yes and no.
>
> The Athlon X2 2,1GHz, the one I've got, needs 45W for 2 Cores. It's the
> same with the 2,3GHz version of the Athlon X2. The 2,3GHz version of the
> Phenom needs 95W. These wattages seems to be a little bit theoretical,
> but accurate enough to read into:
>
> 95W / 2 dual-cores = 47,5W/dual-core
>
> 2 cores need 45W for the Athlon X2, resp. 47,5W for the Phenom. The
> older EE (energy efficient) CPUs need 65W and they also might need less
> fan-speed.
>
> If yours need 95W and you use it as a DAW, the real wattage perhaps
> won't become higher than that of a dual-core, resp. it will reach higher
> values, if you are using more of the CPU resources, than a Athlon has got.
>
> I don't know, but I can imagine that a Phenom's fan will be as silent as
> my Athlon's fan and only in some cases, it will become as loud as an
> oldish CPU, while doing heavy digital processing, that my Athlon won't
> be able to do.
>
> But you should take care of the power supply. It's not the overall
> wattage you have to take care of, but the ampere of the different
> voltages. The best thing is to confer to someone who knows about the
> whole equipment. A CP-420W might be not fine with your hardware. I
> haven't thought about it.

was thinking about a raptoxx-500W-professional, with an 120mm super low
noise fan.

cheers,
doc

Old 05-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Dragan

> was thinking about a raptoxx-500W-professional, with an 120mm super
> low noise fan.

Looks similar to my power supply. The design with the inlying 12cm fan
is equal to mine. My "Jersey CP4-420WS" (this is the correct name), s.
http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=4;GROUP=EA6;GROUPID=752;ARTICLE=7090 8;START=0;SORT=artnr;OFFSET=16;SID=28vsqucawQARwAA FxONvsfd5145ed79307523de956c17daf6b40a,
isn't advertised with a "super low noise fan", but it seems to be
equipped with a "super low noise fan". I don't think that there will be
massive differences. That way the Raptoxx seems to be fine.

I can't say anything about the 500W. It's essential to know about the
ampere, that are able for the different voltages. I don't know how much
ampere are needed, for what voltage. The allocation for the ampere is
different from power supply to power supply. The overall watts doesn't
say a lot. You should asked the dealer. For me the Raptoxx seems to be
to expensive, but maybe the fan is better than the one in my power
supply and it might be possible, that the Raptoxx fan can rotate faster
without making more noise.

I assume the Raptoxx would fit to your hardware needs and it seems to be
a high quality power supply, but I don't know.

Don't forget to pay attention to the connectors, not only from the power
supply, also for the slots on the motherboard, e.g. SATA, PATA etc.,
especially the PCI-slots. I have only 2 PCI and 2 different PCI express
slots and one of the PCI express is already used by the board itself, to
enable HDMI. I haven't enough PCI-slots for all my needs, but I had to
buy it that way, because I hadn't and haven't enough money for something
better. Only a ASRock seems to be better, but I know ASRock as not very
Linux friendly for my old motherboard. The ASUS M2A-VM HDMI is fine with
Linux, except of the ATI graphics and not enough PCI and PATA.

I think you are right with your set. You should asked the dealer if all
components will fit together and maybe if he will guaranty you, that it
will be fine with Linux. I don't know dealers that will give a warranty
like this and it looks like you don't need it for your hardware.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Dragan Noveski

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi Dragan
>

>> was thinking about a raptoxx-500W-professional, with an 120mm super
>> low noise fan.
>>

> Looks similar to my power supply. The design with the inlying 12cm fan
> is equal to mine. My "Jersey CP4-420WS" (this is the correct name), s.
> http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=4;GROUP=EA6;GROUPID=752;ARTICLE=7090 8;START=0;SORT=artnr;OFFSET=16;SID=28vsqucawQARwAA FxONvsfd5145ed79307523de956c17daf6b40a,
> isn't advertised with a "super low noise fan", but it seems to be
> equipped with a "super low noise fan". I don't think that there will be
> massive differences. That way the Raptoxx seems to be fine.
>
> I can't say anything about the 500W. It's essential to know about the
> ampere, that are able for the different voltages. I don't know how much
> ampere are needed, for what voltage. The allocation for the ampere is
> different from power supply to power supply. The overall watts doesn't
> say a lot. You should asked the dealer. For me the Raptoxx seems to be
> to expensive, but maybe the fan is better than the one in my power
> supply and it might be possible, that the Raptoxx fan can rotate faster
> without making more noise.
>
> I assume the Raptoxx would fit to your hardware needs and it seems to be
> a high quality power supply, but I don't know.
>
> Don't forget to pay attention to the connectors, not only from the power
> supply, also for the slots on the motherboard, e.g. SATA, PATA etc.,
> especially the PCI-slots. I have only 2 PCI and 2 different PCI express
> slots and one of the PCI express is already used by the board itself, to
> enable HDMI. I haven't enough PCI-slots for all my needs, but I had to
> buy it that way, because I hadn't and haven't enough money for something
> better. Only a ASRock seems to be better, but I know ASRock as not very
> Linux friendly for my old motherboard. The ASUS M2A-VM HDMI is fine with
> Linux, except of the ATI graphics and not enough PCI and PATA.
>
> I think you are right with your set. You should asked the dealer if all
> components will fit together and maybe if he will guaranty you, that it
> will be fine with Linux. I don't know dealers that will give a warranty
> like this and it looks like you don't need it for your hardware.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

hallo, i think the dealer is ok, he is just around the corner and i have
a good feeling there.
also, they are gonna put all the stuff together as a service for me, i
already talked to the technician. tomorrow i ll go to the linuxtag2008
here in berlin, and i hope to have a possibility to talk to more
knowledgeable people there, before i spend that much of money.

cheers,
doc

Old 06-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Daniel James

Hi Dragan,

>>> also, if anyone has any recommendation about a cdrdao capable cdrom
>>> drive, please!
>>
>> The NEC generic DVD-RW drives are very good for the money. Try using
>> gcdmaster to burn the toc with cd-text, and please let us know of any
>> bugs.
> i am happy with cdrdao, which gcdmaster is using too.

I tested the DVD burner in my HP laptop with gcdmaster to write CD-TEXT,
and it didn't work; the text did not show up in my wife's Kenwood car CD
player, which normally displays CD-TEXT.

I thought all modern drives could write CD-TEXT, but it doesn't appear
to be the case, at least not with gcdmaster or cdrdao.

Cheers!

Daniel