Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Dragan Noveski

Default setting up a phenom machine

Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> i think i ll get an AD-7200A
>>>

>> Hi Dragan
>>
>> if you get the DVD-RAM working with 64studio please let me know how. I
>> have a DVD-RAM drive but it only will work with Suse.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ralf
>>

> PS: DVD-R +R -RW +RW CD-R -RW of my drive are fine, only DVD-RAM won't
> work with 64studio.

so you are not able to read data from dvd?

cheers,
doc

Old 05-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Dragan Noveski wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> Hi Dragan
>>>
>>> if you get the DVD-RAM working with 64studio please let me know how. I
>>> have a DVD-RAM drive but it only will work with Suse.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ralf
>>>

>> PS: DVD-R +R -RW +RW CD-R -RW of my drive are fine, only DVD-RAM won't
>> work with 64studio.
>>

> so you are not able to read data from dvd?
>
> cheers,
> doc

I'm not able to use the DVD-RAM with 64studio and there are no howtos
for Ubuntu, Debian and 64studio that will work.
With Suse the DVD-RAM is fine, you only have to install UDF-Tools

I can write and read data from optical DVDs, that also fine with
64studio. My drive is a

64studio:/home/spinymouse/Desktop/tmp# hwinfo --cdrom
27: IDE 01.0: 10602 CD-ROM (DVD)
[Created at block.222]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial_K133AGH0441
Unique ID: iqvy.kYhkG4D671C
Parent ID: Eu86.Kz33gTZHq45
SysFS ID: /block/hdb
SysFS BusID: 0.1
SysFS Device Link: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.1/ide0/0.1
Hardware Class: cdrom
Model: "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B"
Vendor: "HL-DT-ST"
Device: "DVDRAM GSA-4040B"
Revision: "A304"
Serial ID: "K133AGH0441"
Driver: "ATIIXP_IDE", "ide-cdrom"
Driver Modules: "atiixp", "ide_cd"
Device File: /dev/hdb
Device Files: /dev/hdb,
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GSA-4040B_K133AGH0441,
/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.1-ide-0:1, /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrw,
/dev/dvd, /dev/dvdrw
Device Number: block 3:64
Features: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVDRAM
Size: 0 sectors a 512 bytes
Drive status: no medium
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #12 (IDE interface)
Drive Speed: 32

To make it absolutely clear, from the

Features: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVDRAM

the following are fine with 64studio:

Features: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Only DVDRAM is'nt fine with 64studio but it will work with Suse.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Dragan Noveski

Dragan Noveski wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
>
>> Hi Dragan,
>>

>>> in the moment i am using the (buggy) jackd0.109.2 which i compiled
>>> myself.
>>>
>> jackd development is a little volatile at the moment. It should settle
>> down soon.
>>

>>> would i need a wrapper or is the jackdmp working natively in 64std.?
>>>
>> It works natively. I would recommend a fresh SVN checkout, as I doubt
>> jackdmp has had much testing on Phenom yet:
>> http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html
>>
>> That way you can report your findings to the jackdmp developers, and
>> try out some patches against the latest SVN sources.
>>

>>> i am happy with cdrdao, which gcdmaster is using too. could you
>>> specify any model out of nec? that would help me a lot.
>>>
>> I personally use an ND-2500A in my workstation, and it works great. It
>> looks very similar in specification to the current model AD-5200A. The
>> AD-7200A looks the same but with DVD-RAM support, although I've never
>> tested that format myself.
>>

> ok, very much thanks for the input.
> i think i ll get an AD-7200A for first in order to being able to even
> run the installer dvd and see if it works for cdrdao. it is pretty cheap
> =30€ !
> if not i ll have to search more for another drive.
>

> cheers,
> doc
>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Daniel

hallo again,
i was reading a lot about the phenom9850 and mobos which are supporting
it (thanks for the suggestion ralf) and this issue was not easy for me.
lot of people reporting having troubles with GB-MA78G... boards. so i
decided to go for one GA-MA790FX-DQ6 which should work good with the
phenom 9850 and the F5 bios.
now i have another question: this board does not have any video on
board, so i ll have to go for a cheap PCI/PCIe graphic card. this is
perhaps an advantage, cause i could choose one, which people knows to
work with an 64bit rt-linux.

so, a general question is : ati or nvidia graphic?
it seems to me that nvidia has a better support for us (64bit rt-linux).
is that true?
also i would be really thankful about any recommendation for an
easy-to-get-it running graphic card. as i was searching for now, i think
that a price range about 30€ should be ok.

cheers,
doc

Old 05-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Dragan Noveski wrote:
> Dragan Noveski wrote:
>
>> Daniel James wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Dragan,

>>> jackd development is a little volatile at the moment. It should settle
>>> down soon.

>>> It works natively. I would recommend a fresh SVN checkout, as I doubt
>>> jackdmp has had much testing on Phenom yet:
>>> http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html
>>>
>>> That way you can report your findings to the jackdmp developers, and
>>> try out some patches against the latest SVN sources.

>>> I personally use an ND-2500A in my workstation, and it works great. It
>>> looks very similar in specification to the current model AD-5200A. The
>>> AD-7200A looks the same but with DVD-RAM support, although I've never
>>> tested that format myself.
>>>

>> ok, very much thanks for the input.
>> i think i ll get an AD-7200A for first in order to being able to even
>> run the installer dvd and see if it works for cdrdao. it is pretty cheap
>> =30€ !
>> if not i ll have to search more for another drive.
>>

>> cheers,
>> doc
>>

>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>

> hallo again,
> i was reading a lot about the phenom9850 and mobos which are supporting
> it (thanks for the suggestion ralf) and this issue was not easy for me.
> lot of people reporting having troubles with GB-MA78G... boards. so i
> decided to go for one GA-MA790FX-DQ6 which should work good with the
> phenom 9850 and the F5 bios.
> now i have another question: this board does not have any video on
> board, so i ll have to go for a cheap PCI/PCIe graphic card. this is
> perhaps an advantage, cause i could choose one, which people knows to
> work with an 64bit rt-linux.
>
> so, a general question is : ati or nvidia graphic?
> it seems to me that nvidia has a better support for us (64bit rt-linux).
> is that true?
> also i would be really thankful about any recommendation for an
> easy-to-get-it running graphic card. as i was searching for now, i think
> that a price range about 30€ should be ok.
>
> cheers,
> doc

A short answer:

No ATI RADEON X1250-based, it's my new integrated graphics and not fine
with 64 Studio 2.1rc 64bit until now!

I never have been fine with my AGP-card from NVidia a GeForce MX440 or
the like, but it worked with most Linux settings.

Most people are fine with NVidia and many people got problems with ATI.

Here in the list I often read about INTEL, that should be the best, but
gamers say this cards are weak.

So I would suggest to buy a NVidia, if I had the money, I would buy one
myself.

Sorry for the short reply, I have to make DVDRAM enable at the moment,
because it's the only media that is save over a long time, around 30
years and it makes me wonder that it isn't integrated in 64 Studio for
backups of productions. If it will work, I'll write a howto to the forum.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Quentin Harley

Dragan Noveski wrote:
> now i have another question: this board does not have any video on
> board, so i ll have to go for a cheap PCI/PCIe graphic card. this is
> perhaps an advantage, cause i could choose one, which people knows to
> work with an 64bit rt-linux.

So true... I actually have a on-board that I do not use (performance
issues) and a cheap card nVidia 6200 working fine...
> so, a general question is : ati or nvidia graphic?
> it seems to me that nvidia has a better support for us (64bit rt-linux).
> is that true?

True.

> also i would be really thankful about any recommendation for an
> easy-to-get-it running graphic card. as i was searching for now, i think
> that a price range about 30€ should be ok.

Any nVidia geforce 6### card should work fine...

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 05-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Dragan Noveski

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Dragan Noveski wrote:
>
>> Dragan Noveski wrote:

>>> ok, very much thanks for the input.
>>> i think i ll get an AD-7200A for first in order to being able to even
>>> run the installer dvd and see if it works for cdrdao. it is pretty cheap
>>> =30€ !
>>> if not i ll have to search more for another drive.
>>>

>>> cheers,
>>> doc

>> hallo again,
>> i was reading a lot about the phenom9850 and mobos which are supporting
>> it (thanks for the suggestion ralf) and this issue was not easy for me.
>> lot of people reporting having troubles with GB-MA78G... boards. so i
>> decided to go for one GA-MA790FX-DQ6 which should work good with the
>> phenom 9850 and the F5 bios.
>> now i have another question: this board does not have any video on
>> board, so i ll have to go for a cheap PCI/PCIe graphic card. this is
>> perhaps an advantage, cause i could choose one, which people knows to
>> work with an 64bit rt-linux.
>>
>> so, a general question is : ati or nvidia graphic?
>> it seems to me that nvidia has a better support for us (64bit rt-linux).
>> is that true?
>> also i would be really thankful about any recommendation for an
>> easy-to-get-it running graphic card. as i was searching for now, i think
>> that a price range about 30€ should be ok.
>>
>> cheers,
>> doc
>>

> A short answer:
>
> No ATI RADEON X1250-based, it's my new integrated graphics and not fine
> with 64 Studio 2.1rc 64bit until now!
>
> I never have been fine with my AGP-card from NVidia a GeForce MX440 or
> the like, but it worked with most Linux settings.
>
> Most people are fine with NVidia and many people got problems with ATI.
>
> Here in the list I often read about INTEL, that should be the best, but
> gamers say this cards are weak.
>
> So I would suggest to buy a NVidia, if I had the money, I would buy one
> myself.
>
> Sorry for the short reply, I have to make DVDRAM enable at the moment,
> because it's the only media that is save over a long time, around 30
> years and it makes me wonder that it isn't integrated in 64 Studio for
> backups of productions. If it will work, I'll write a howto to the forum.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

yep, that would be good to read!

cheers,
doc

Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Dragan Noveski

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Dragan Noveski wrote:
>> now i have another question: this board does not have any video on
>> board, so i ll have to go for a cheap PCI/PCIe graphic card. this is
>> perhaps an advantage, cause i could choose one, which people knows to
>> work with an 64bit rt-linux.
>>

> So true... I actually have a on-board that I do not use (performance
> issues) and a cheap card nVidia 6200 working fine...
>> so, a general question is : ati or nvidia graphic?
>> it seems to me that nvidia has a better support for us (64bit
>> rt-linux). is that true?
>>

> True.
>
>> also i would be really thankful about any recommendation for an
>> easy-to-get-it running graphic card. as i was searching for now, i
>> think that a price range about 30€ should be ok.
>>

> Any nVidia geforce 6### card should work fine...
>
> Cheers,
> Quentin

thanks quentin, this is really a response which i was hoping to get!
as i look here the 6200 series are to get for about 30€ which for me
seems ok.
sth. like this one:

http://mec.online-reseller.de/eshop.php?action=aid_search

cheers,
doc

Old 05-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Quentin Harley

Dragan Noveski wrote:
> thanks quentin, this is really a response which i was hoping to get!
> as i look here the 6200 series are to get for about 30€ which for me
> seems ok.
> sth. like this one:
>
> http://mec.online-reseller.de/eshop.php?action=aid_search

This one
http://mec.online-reseller.de/eshop.php?action=article_detail&s_supplier_aid=136 7292&position=2&anzahl_treffer=343

based on Geforce 7300 should be more than adequate (and better than the
6200 as well... 20€!)

The following GPU's are supported:
GeForce 6800 Ultra, GeForce 6800, GeForce 6800 XE, GeForce 6800 XT
GeForce 6800 GT, GeForce 6800 GS, Quadro FX 4000, GeForce 7800 GTX
GeForce 7800 GT, GeForce 7800 GS, GeForce Go 7800, GeForce Go 7800 GTX
Quadro FX 4500, GeForce 6800, GeForce 6800 LE, GeForce Go 6800,
GeForce Go 6800 Ultra, Quadro FX Go1400, Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI
Quadro FX 1400, GeForce 6600 GT, GeForce 6600, GeForce 6200
GeForce 6600 LE, Quadro FX 3400/4400, GeForce PCX 5750, GeForce PCX 5900
GeForce PCX 5300/Quadro FX 330, Quadro NVS 280 PCI-E/Quadro FX 330
Quadro FX 1300, GeForce PCX 4300, GeForce 6600 VE, GeForce Go 6600
GeForce 6610 XL, GeForce Go 6600 TE/6200 TE, GeForce 6700 XL,
GeForce Go 6600 GT, Quadro NVS 440, Quadro FX 550, Quadro FX 540,
GeForce 6500, GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM), GeForce 6200 LE, GeForce Go 6200
Quadro NVS 285, GeForce Go 6400, GeForce 8800 GTX, GeForce 8800 GTS
Quadro FX 5600, Quadro FX 4600, GeForce 7300 LE, GeForce 7300 SE
Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300, GeForce Go 7400, Quadro NVS 110M
Quadro NVS 120M, Quadro FX 350M, Quadro FX 350, GeForce 7300 GS
GeForce 6150, GeForce 6150 LE, GeForce 6100, GeForce Go 6100,
GeForce 7900 GTX, GeForce 7900 GT/GTO, GeForce 7900 GS, GeForce 7950 GX2
GeForce Go 7900 GS, GeForce Go 7900 GTX, Quadro FX 2500M, Quadro FX 1500M
Quadro FX 5500, Quadro FX 3500, Quadro FX 1500, Quadro FX 4500 X2,
GeForce 7600 GS, GeForce FX 5800 Ultra, GeForce FX 5800, Quadro FX 2000
Quadro FX 1000, GeForce FX 5600 Ultra, GeForce FX 5600, GeForce FX 5600XT
GeForce FX Go5600, GeForce FX Go5650, Quadro FX Go700, GeForce FX 5200
GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, GeForce FX 5200, GeForce FX 5200LE, GeForce FX Go5200
GeForce FX Go5250, GeForce FX 5500, GeForce FX 5100, GeForce FX Go5200
32M/64M
Quadro NVS 55/280 PCI, Quadro FX 500/FX 600, GeForce FX Go53xx,
GeForce FX Go5100, GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, GeForce FX 5900, GeForce FX 5900XT
GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, GeForce FX 5900ZT, Quadro FX 3000, Quadro FX 700
GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, GeForce FX 5700, GeForce FX 5700LE, GeForce FX 5700VE
GeForce FX Go5700, Quadro FX Go1000, Quadro FX 1100, GeForce 7600 GT,
GeForce 7600 GS, GeForce 7300 GT, GeForce Go 7600, Quadro FX 560,

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Gustin Johnson

You can get some of the 7000 series that are fanless, which may be a
good idea for a DAW. I have a 7100 that is fanless in one of my machines.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> You can get some of the 7000 series that are fanless, which may be a
> good idea for a DAW. I have a 7100 that is fanless in one of my machines.

Good idea! And buy a power supply with a inlying fan, with a high
diameter. I'm using a CP-420 around 15,00€. It has a 12cm fan and it's
the only fan in my computer. The CPU is a AMD Dual-Core that just needs
45W. My computer is in a very simple case, but there's nearly nothing to
hear. There is no need for a expensive case.

Cheers,
Ralf