Old 05-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default ATI X1200 - 1440x900 resolution on 64Studio without fglrx driver

Tommy Bongaerts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone managed to get a 1440x900 resolution on an Ati
> X1200 using the vesa driver only?
>
> For some reason I can't get the fglrx driver to work, but I know (from
> my Ubuntu install) that it must be possible using just the vesa driver.

I need 1024x768 for my X 1250-based and it's fine but I can't increase
the vertical refresh rate and I think I can forget about Google Earth
without 3D, but I didn't try it until now.

I had the problem with the refresh rate with my oldish NVIDIA too, but
it's just with 64studio like this, with Suse and the NVIDIA everything
has been fine, I didn't made a test with the new one, resp. I just
tested the resolution.

With the ATI and Suse the resolution is set 800x600 and it's not able to
set it to 1024x768.

For production I only need 2D and 2D animation applications, for music I
also need 2D but anyway it's not fine to have a refresh rate about 59.8Hz.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Tommy Bongaerts wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder if anyone managed to get a 1440x900 resolution on an Ati
>> X1200 using the vesa driver only?
>>
>> For some reason I can't get the fglrx driver to work, but I know (from
>> my Ubuntu install) that it must be possible using just the vesa driver.
>>

> I need 1024x768 for my X 1250-based and it's fine but I can't increase
> the vertical refresh rate and I think I can forget about Google Earth
> without 3D, but I didn't try it until now.
>
> I had the problem with the refresh rate with my oldish NVIDIA too, but
> it's just with 64studio like this, with Suse and the NVIDIA everything
> has been fine, I didn't made a test with the new one, resp. I just
> tested the resolution.
>
> With the ATI and Suse the resolution is set 800x600 and it's not able to
> set it to 1024x768.
>
> For production I only need 2D and 2D animation applications, for music I
> also need 2D but anyway it's not fine to have a refresh rate about 59.8Hz.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

I used the NVIDIA with the X.Org and proprietary NVIDIA drivers and I
use the ATI with the X.Org VESA driver.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Tommy Bongaerts wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net <mailto:ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>> wrote:
>
> I used the NVIDIA with the X.Org and proprietary NVIDIA drivers and I
> use the ATI with the X.Org VESA driver.
>

> And you could get 1440x900 with the VESA driver?
>
> For now this is the only issue that keeps me from using 64studio full
> time. It's just no fun working with a 4x3 reso on a widescreen monitor...

I'm sorry, if my monitor would be able to do this, I long would have
tested it, to report you. It's still a 4/3. From a friend I know that
it's not only that you don't use the full resolution, but also that the
quality will be worse for you with the improper resolution.

Suse is more comfortable with this and you made the experience that it's
fine with Ubuntu. As I have written before in another thread:

"I think it should be possible to have both, the comfort of 64studio and
Suse in one distro."

I have a multi-boot, but because I've been lazy and didn't fix a CHS-LBA
inconsistency (I changed the 32bit mobo with a 64bit mobo) I can't use
Suse at the moment and I'm doing everything with 64studio. It's very
unpleasant, because with 59.8Hz it's more a stroboscope than a monitor
and in addition I'm that kind of dyslexic that comes with the sensory
disorder that makes letters, words and lines move.

I made reading a little bit easier with using KDE instead of GNOME, so
it's easy to change fonts, sizes, background colours for each window
etc. to become less of the stroboscope like screen.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Gustin Johnson

Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> That is the resolution I have on my 64Studio DAW with an integrated ATI
> video card. I am not using the VESA driver but the 2d only "ati" driver
> ~ for xorg. The vesa driver is really quite basic, 9 times out of 10
> there is a better choice before you even need to look at the proprietary
> binary drivers.

Just this minute I installed GoogleEarth. First I tried the .bin from
Google, but that couldn't be installed and than I installed the package
from Debian, it's pretended to be installed, but trying to run it or
searching for files, changed in the last minutes, there seems to be no
GoogleEarth.

Maybe it's because of the VESA driver?!

I only want to know if my high speed dual core CPU can make up for a 3D
driver in some cases.

I'll go on with this later.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Gustin Johnson

Old 05-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Gustin Johnson

Old 05-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Tommy Bongaerts wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:41 AM, Gustin Johnson <gustin@echostar.ca
> <mailto:gustin@echostar.ca>> wrote:

> Tommy Bongaerts wrote:
> | Just a little update:
> |
> | I gave up on trying to get 1440x900 with the vesa driver.
> Doesn't seem
> | to be possible.
>
> AFAIK, the vesa driver only supports 4:3 aspect ratios.
>

> | I am now trying to use the fglrx driver. Damn, what a hassle.
> First I
> | couldn't compile the kernel module that in Etch because it is not
> | compatible with kernels higher than 2.6.18, so I got the
>

> I just wondered: doesn't this classify as a bug? Maybe the 64studio
> repos should carry an updated fglrx-kernel-src that likes to 2.6.22
> kernel?
>

> | fglrx-kernel-src package from testing, but that one won't compile
> | against the 64studio kernel, because of it's non free GPL symbols.
> |
> | So now I'm building a custom 2.6.24 rt kernel with the evil GPL only
> | symbols edited out of the code. Hope this will work... and that the
> | fglrx driver will give me my much desired 1440x900.
>

> Didn't work because of all kinds of dependancy issues. Crap...
>

> Unless you need 3d/OpenGL support, it is probably less hassle to
> use the
> 2d only "ati" driver. This is in fact what I am using on my 64Studio
> machine (integrated ati video, running 1440x900 on a BenQ).
>

> That driver doesn't work with my ATI X1200 (the AMD 690 chipset). XOrg
> log was pretty clear on that.
> Now I'm really stuck :-(
>
> --
> Tommy Bongaerts
> tommy.bongaerts@gmail.com <mailto:tommy.bongaerts@gmail.com>
> http://www.duskmetal.be
>
> ~- Let There Be Rock! - Bon Scott -~

Hi Tommy

I'll reply later to all the mails, to this and other subjects, because
I'm short in time.

If you are able to understand German, please visit this:

http://www.debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=99633

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Gustin Johnson

I would try and grab the fglrx from ati/amd directly. This may or may
not work, ATI has been a massive headache to me in the past. Intel is
my first choice (true proper open source drivers), followed by nVidia
(all I can say is that nVidia tends to suck less than ATI in my experience).

Hth,

Tommy Bongaerts wrote:

| On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:41 AM, Gustin Johnson <gustin@echostar.ca
| <mailto:gustin@echostar.ca>> wrote:

| Tommy Bongaerts wrote:
| | Just a little update:
| |

Old 05-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> I would try and grab the fglrx from ati/amd directly. This may or may
> not work, ATI has been a massive headache to me in the past. Intel is
> my first choice (true proper open source drivers), followed by nVidia
> (all I can say is that nVidia tends to suck less than ATI in my
> experience).

*lol* Right now I posted to a German Debian forum:

"[...] PS: Ich habe eine AGP-Karte von NVidia, nur keinen AGP-Slot auf
meinem aktuellen Mobo, this really sucks."

Translation plus comment:

I wasn't fine with NVidia in the past, but to compare with the ATI
on-board graphics I've now, NVidia is less nasty.

My old NVidia is a AGP-card and my new mobo has no AGP-slot.