Old 05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Does anybody know how long a low level format will take? / Suggestion for a poll

Hi Daniel

Daniel James wrote:
>> My favourite is the fluidsynth plug in, with Rhodes, Mellotron
>
> Now you have a faster CPU, you should try QSampler with some mellotron
> .gig files that are available from various download sites.

I'm short of time. I run QSampler, but wasn't able to open a soundfont.
I'll run QSampler later again and read how to use it. I think it has
something to do with .gig files .

Off topic:

I'm afraid of this: "Support BIOS downgraded protection.(To avoid the
system BIOS can be downgraded to BIOS before 1603)." I'll do a BIOS
update right after sending this email, but I'm not fine with the fact,
that I can't downgrade it, if this should be needed.

I asked myself how long it will take to backup 80GB from my IDE hard
disk to a USB hard disk. Then to low level format the IDE hard disk and
after this, to copy everything back from the USB device, to the IDE hard
disk. I'll use tar to preserve permissions, but I don't need to zip.
After the backup is done, I think it will be wise to compare the files
by using --diff.

The USB hard disk is borrowed and I have to give it back tomorrow. If I
won't backup etc. today, I have to wait for about 1 week or 2 weeks, to
borrow it again.

If this work can't be done in about 10 or 12 hours, I shouldn't start
with it today and move it to the next week or the week after the next.

I'll start producing and it might be better if I do this without the
CHS-LBA inconsistency. Until now 64studio has no problems with the
inconsistency, but maybe this will change while producing.

Does anybody know how long a low level format for a 80GB PATA Maxtor
will take?

>> I wish to have real
>> instruments and I wish I would be able to play them
>
> I can relate to that :-) However the older electronic keyboard
> instruments are heavy, difficult to tune and sometimes impossible to
> get spare parts for. So a good quality sample set has a number of
> advantages over the real thing; it's not just the poor cousin any more.

It's more that I need MIDI, because I'm a guitarist and not good with
playing a real Rhodes, D6, B3 and especially this once will need to much
room.

As I've heard there isn't Wine Country any more, but I searched and
found http://www.winecountrysequential.com/. If someone in Germany needs
spare parts e.g. for a Prophet 5, he has to spend a lot of money and time.

I don't have those old synthesizers. The oldest synths I've got are the
DX7 in the metal case and the Matrix-1000 with the loud transformer,
both are still from the eighties.

From the affordable once I would like to have a Juno-106. I know
Bristol, but it has nothing to do with the Juno-106.

I'm not fine with all that virtual Minimoogs, Prophet 5s, DX7s etc.,
even if they are expensive proprietary once. Free soundfonts often are
much better.

What I'm missing is a realtime application for SysEx, for my
Matrix-1000. I have some for the Atari Cubase.

>>> Reading about Captain Beefheard, Os Mutantes etc. makes me afraid that
>>> we are dinosaurs.
>
> The records may be old, but the software is state of the art ;-) I do
> buy new CD releases, but it's unfair to expect each one to measure up
> to the classics. And there are so many new CD releases of old material
> that was never available to me on vinyl, like The Faust Tapes.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Apart from some ambient noise I like Vinyl more than CDs. Just because
of a broken needel and that I have no money for a good one, I don't
listen to my records any more. I've needels, but they come with Audio
Technica systems I don't like, because of to less bass.

Now I'll update the BIOS, while doing this I'll be jealous of a trip to
Cymru the girlfriend of a friend will do.

Does anybody know if Icedove could be blamable for this:

FILE QUARANTINED

The original contents of reborn-i386-1_0.tar.gz have been replaced with
this message because of its ExceedinglyNested characteristics.

Cheers,
Ralf