Old 05-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default PS: Suggestion for a poll

A friend is drawing comics, he is using several Macs and a Vista. He
bought an old MacOS (9.x) for his new Macs .

I told him to use Linux or if he won't do this XP, but he will spend
money, again and again.

I won't to know, how we can make people use Linux.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> You can't *make* people use Linux. The largest obstacle, at least here
> in North America, is awareness. I was jamming with a guy yesterday, and
> I was the first person he had ever met who uses Linux (for anything, let
> alone as a DAW).
>
> He seemed genuinely interested, but time will tell. The most important
> advantage to open source is not easily seen. In my neck of the woods,
> the *idea* of freedom is not well understood. To make matters more
> complicated, software is still a mysterious black box to most of the
> people. Mix the two together and it is not surprising that "free
> software" means very little here.
>
> Even worse, the word "free" in English has a couple of meanings.
> Software Libre is a much better term.
>
> Despite what the marketing types say, piracy helps proprietary software.
> ~ At least what I have seen here, people would rather pirate software
> than investigate a FLOSS alternative. Seems weird to me

Hi Gustin

full ACK to the whole mail.

Most advertisings are just for the waste basket, but the circulation of
cracks is the best promotion for proprietary software I can imagine. I
don't want to explain the reason for this, instead of this I'll say
something about the things making people not to use Linux.

The computer should be a tool like a knife and a fork. Children have to
learn how to eat with knife and fork, but they get this tools already
made. Linux is something like an assembly kit. People say it's good this
way, so everything might be possible, what's impossible with other
operating systems. That isn't true! Users are fine with other operating
systems. They've less problems to solve and the community is much
friendlier than the Linux community is. Not all Linux communities are as
kind as the people in this list, e.g. a quote from the Ardour users-list:

"IMO the freeloaders who use ardour and don't contribute back to the
community are ripping all the rest of us off who enable them to use the
software."

I don't receive any mails from the list any more, maybe they blocked me
because of my critique, that wouldn't be the first time in my life. You
can give critique in every computer community but not to the Linux
community.

The people from my local LUG do have such narrow views that I nearly was
giving up Linux, e.g. I suggested my home town to use Linux instead of
Windows and send them informations in the form of links. The LUG
impended me a criminal procedure if I'll ever will give anyone a link to
their homepage in the future.

The best arguments against Linux are made by German forums. People ask
for help and they get the answer that they should search the forum,
because there still is the answer. How should anybody search for the
answer, if he don't know what he has to search for?

Someone knowing less about Linux DAWs then I do, recommended me to use
JAD, because this should be the best distro for DAWs. A DAW that comes
with e17 by default, a very nice but absolute unstable WM. The same
person recommended a noob that simply needed a plug in for his
Thunderbird and no codec, to install more than 50 packages with codecs.
Probably the experts of 64studio won't know about over 50 packages.

I often asked questions about basics, as you know, e.g. how to get the
DVDRAM work. Nobody using another OS has to think about this. With Linux
you will find a lot of links with the same question but without an
answers, because of all that double postings.

If people like me are not fine with Linux, they have to read, that they
should go back to their Windows. I know Windows because when I do jobs I
get in contact with it and because I had some for my self, to tell the
provider defect reports. Many German providers give bad services and
they insist to get the Windows messages, they are not fine with
information like "ping: unknown host" if a domain they've given you is
invalid. I made tests with Cubase, because Linux didn't work with my old
hardware, but I never used Windows for myself.

So you might have problems, you never used Windows and people abuse you
to go back to Windows, where you are not from.

"The community" (I think there are communities that are not all the
same) is in the clouds, most people just are interested in the computer
end in itself, but not as a tool for users. Users are rightly not
willing to study Linux as major subject.

Some do all the work with Linux and they are fine with it. Asking them
if a printing company ever get problems with something they handed in,
the answer always is, that they never have done this. There's a
difference between people doing things just for them self and people who
has to work together with other people.

Linux isn't state of the art, because of proprietary monopolies, but
also because of the fact, that criticism is knocked down as nagging.

I've written to the Ardour user list: "Some people, me too, are using
Linux because of political desire."

I think a lot of people will use Linux, because they wish to be cool and
therefore it's good if a lot of people are not fine with Linux.

Also I've written:

"Maybe there are some people out there that will help e.g. the poor without receiving anything from them and it might be possible that some of those people will use Linux without giving back the community anything, anyway this would be a cycle of giving and receiving."

If people say that Linux is a present and criticism is improper, they have to accept that Linux isn't the only thing in the world and not everyone will pay for a present, but they don't accept this.

Would there be an alternative to Linux, I wouldn't use Linux any more because of all that trouble.

I'm only using Linux, no other OS, because there isn't an alternative. I'm not able to use Windows or MacOS because of my ethical needs and also I want to be "free" in the choice of my DE, what is easier to do with Linux.

To make people use Linux I decided no longer to help them with problems of their Macs and Windows, but to help them with problems, if they will use Linux. Also I ask makers and dealers about the reasons why their hardware won't work with Linux.

I'm very disappointed about ATI!

The ASUS M2A-VM HDMI with a AMD-2350 CPU I have now, seems to be fine with Linux. My old AsRock K7VT2 with an Athlon Thunderbird 900MHz has made my Linux more unstable than the unstablest Windows I ever have seen, but the NVIDIA AGP-Card is much better than the new on-board.

Hardware is a big problem. I can't send a fax with any card from the bulk garbage, comments like "next time buy another card" are invalid, because I often bought so-called Linux compatible hardware that isn't Linux compatible and also I haven't the money to do that.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Gustin Johnson

| Most advertisings are just for the waste basket, but the circulation
| of cracks is the best promotion for proprietary software I can
| imagine. I don't want to explain the reason for this, instead of this
| I'll say something about the things making people not to use Linux.

You mean possible excuses people may use to justify *not* choosing to
use Linux

| The computer should be a tool like a knife and a fork. Children have
| to learn how to eat with knife and fork, but they get this tools
| already made. Linux is something like an assembly kit. People say
| it's good this way, so everything might be possible, what's
| impossible with other operating systems. That isn't true! Users are
| fine with other operating systems. They've less problems to solve and
| the community is much friendlier than the Linux community is. Not all
| Linux communities are as kind as the people in this list, e.g. a
| quote from the Ardour users-list:
|
| "IMO the freeloaders who use ardour and don't contribute back to the
| community are ripping all the rest of us off who enable them to use
| the software."
|
| I don't receive any mails from the list any more, maybe they blocked
| me because of my critique, that wouldn't be the first time in my
| life. You can give critique in every computer community but not to
| the Linux community.

In the open source community, code generally rules. It is very easy to
use to words,

| The people from my local LUG do have such narrow views that I nearly
| was giving up Linux, e.g. I suggested my home town to use Linux
| instead of Windows and send them informations in the form of links.
| The LUG impended me a criminal procedure if I'll ever will give
| anyone a link to their homepage in the future.
|
| The best arguments against Linux are made by German forums. People
| ask for help and they get the answer that they should search the
| forum, because there still is the answer. How should anybody search
| for the answer, if he don't know what he has to search for?

To posit a view from the other side. As a longtime Linux user, I have
seen the same questions asked over and over again. Most of the time the
~ question has been asked and answered before. It can be very
frustrating to answer the same question 12 times when the answer is in
the same forum that the question was asked in.

What is really being asked is a little bit of personal responsibility.

| Someone knowing less about Linux DAWs then I do, recommended me to
| use JAD, because this should be the best distro for DAWs. A DAW that
| comes with e17 by default, a very nice but absolute unstable WM. The
| same person recommended a noob that simply needed a plug in for his
| Thunderbird and no codec, to install more than 50 packages with
| codecs. Probably the experts of 64studio won't know about over 50
| packages.

In every aspect of life, someone has an opinion.

| I often asked questions about basics, as you know, e.g. how to get
| the DVDRAM work. Nobody using another OS has to think about this.
| With Linux you will find a lot of links with the same question but
| without an answers, because of all that double postings.

Actually they do. Most of the time the system comes with drivers
pre-loaded. If you do a format and reinstall, you will encounter the
fun of driver hunting. Better get good at google.

| If people like me are not fine with Linux, they have to read, that
| they should go back to their Windows. I know Windows because when I
| do jobs I get in contact with it and because I had some for my self,
| to tell the provider defect reports. Many German providers give bad
| services and they insist to get the Windows messages, they are not
| fine with information like "ping: unknown host" if a domain they've
| given you is invalid. I made tests with Cubase, because Linux didn't
| work with my old hardware, but I never used Windows for myself.

I use Linux every day, and I still have to read. Most ISPs consider
Linux to be unsupported. It is what it is, there is no point in going
on about it.

| So you might have problems, you never used Windows and people abuse
| you to go back to Windows, where you are not from.

| "The community" (I think there are communities that are not all the
| same) is in the clouds, most people just are interested in the
| computer end in itself, but not as a tool for users. Users are
| rightly not willing to study Linux as major subject.

Whether you realize it or not, you had to learn the Mac OS, Windows, or
Atari or <insert favourite computer OS here> to begin with. Linux is a
little different from what you were using before, so you will have to
learn. To expect anything else is unrealistic.

| Some do all the work with Linux and they are fine with it. Asking
| them if a printing company ever get problems with something they
| handed in, the answer always is, that they never have done this.
| There's a difference between people doing things just for them self
| and people who has to work together with other people.

Don't confuse the platform with the file format. I have submitted a
number of jobs to printing companies. I don't tell them about linux, I
ask what file formats they support. Postcript and now SVG are two
formats that I have had a great deal of success with.

In the audio world, I can share wavs, mp3s, flacs, and ogg files etc.
with users on other platforms as long as the file format is supported.

| Linux isn't state of the art, because of proprietary monopolies, but
| also because of the fact, that criticism is knocked down as nagging.

Linux is state of the art. You could even make the argument that at the
kernel level, no one else comes close to Linux.

Criticism without contribution is generally meaningless. If you see a
problem they expect you to fix it, not whine about it. Courtesy works
both ways in this case.

Also, it is easy to get annoyed at criticism that is not well founded.
I have to admit that seeing your comment "Linux isn't state of the art"
annoyed me. This may be language or cultural difference that I am
misinterpreting, or it could be that you do not know a lot about the
kernel itself. A general criticism like that appears to be more of an
insult than a criticism. It conveys no information that allows one to
even begin fixing the problem if indeed one exists. This annoys
programmers. They like to know about bugs so they can squash them, but
telling them "something bad happened somewhere" does nothing but annoy.

Don't worry about this, I am just trying to point out how your words may
be interpreted.

| I've written to the Ardour user list: "Some people, me too, are using
| Linux because of political desire."
|
| I think a lot of people will use Linux, because they wish to be cool
| and therefore it's good if a lot of people are not fine with Linux.

I have never before thought of Linux as "cool". First time for everything.

| Also I've written:
|
| "Maybe there are some people out there that will help e.g. the poor
| without receiving anything from them and it might be possible that
| some of those people will use Linux without giving back the community
| anything, anyway this would be a cycle of giving and receiving."
|
| If people say that Linux is a present and criticism is improper, they
| have to accept that Linux isn't the only thing in the world and not
| everyone will pay for a present, but they don't accept this.

Courtesy works both ways. It is unfair to expect the FLOSS communities
to cater to and adapt to everyone else without some reciprocation.

| Would there be an alternative to Linux, I wouldn't use Linux any more
| because of all that trouble.

BSD is an alternative. As is Windows and Mac OS.

| I'm only using Linux, no other OS, because there isn't an
| alternative. I'm not able to use Windows or MacOS because of my
| ethical needs and also I want to be "free" in the choice of my DE,
| what is easier to do with Linux.

BSD is an alternative. Of course you will likely run into the same
issues again.

| To make people use Linux I decided no longer to help them with
| problems of their Macs and Windows, but to help them with problems,
| if they will use Linux. Also I ask makers and dealers about the
| reasons why their hardware won't work with Linux.
|
| I'm very disappointed about ATI!

Likewise. ATI has been a major headache for me for 10 years now.

| The ASUS M2A-VM HDMI with a AMD-2350 CPU I have now, seems to be fine
| with Linux. My old AsRock K7VT2 with an Athlon Thunderbird 900MHz has
| made my Linux more unstable than the unstablest Windows I ever have
| seen, but the NVIDIA AGP-Card is much better than the new on-board.

| Hardware is a big problem. I can't send a fax with any card from the
| bulk garbage, comments like "next time buy another card" are invalid,
| because I often bought so-called Linux compatible hardware that isn't
| Linux compatible and also I haven't the money to do that.

This is sadly the way things are if you choose to be free. Most
hardware manufacturers do not go out of their way to support Linux. I
have cultivated a relationship with a local computer dealer that allows
me to return hardware without penalty. I would hope that such a dealer
exists near you as well. At the end of the day, it is buyer beware. We
need to do a lot of homework before buying hardware. I consider it the
cost of freedom.

Also, google is your friend when researching hardware purchases.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Thanks Gustin and Peter for your replies

first I'll answer to you Peter, because you have written off-list, I
will keep my answer short. Like most people here you know much about
computers and music productions, even if you think it's not like that.
You and me, we know much more about this then "normal" users do.

A woman from Boston, she's a freelance photographer has a slow Computer,
because she has only 1GB space left and can't defrag, because of the
less space. I didn't asked her if I'm allowed to quote her, but I know
she would allow me to do it .

I told her that Unix file systems don't have to be defrag and that she
should use Linux because most people are fine with GIMP and it's also
possible to run PS on Linux, she replied:

"Hi Ralf,

I dunno about Linux. I have friends who love it, friends who hate it. I
seemed needlessly complicated when I used my friends system. No one has
yet given me a good enough argument about it's usefulness to me.

Cheerz
[...]"

And now I can pass over to answer Gustin.

"Normal" users are fine with other OS, without learning all about their
system. They are not fine with Linux because Linux can't be used intuit
from the beginning on and it's not state of the art.

I'm "free" to use Linux and no other OS because I just do my own thing,
I'm jobless. But when I ad sound to films as a professional, nobody
would have been able to pay it with Linux, because of the missing
functionality, e.g. fixed tracks and polyrhythm you need to sync to
special FX while changing speed of the music.

The other thing. I'll start a job and another person will go on with it.
It's not possible to restore an audio production session just by loading
it. Linux is far away to be state of the art.

To come back to my DVDRAM. There is no need for a driver. It will work
with Suse and it won't work with Debian because there might be something
different with the HAL policy or auto mount or something else, also it's
not good to use DVDRAMs by Verbatim because if you format them with
Linux and you have to do this, you only can write on them as root. You
need DVDRAM from Panasonic that are formatted. I found no readme for
Debian that solve the problem. I'm jobless, I've been a coder for other
OS, so it's okay for me but it's invalid for normal users.

Ok, Linux is a gift, nobody has to pay for it (anyhow the Ardour people
seems to be outlandish and need a lot of money from the users). That
Linux is for free won't make it better, that there are many problems
with it.

I've much more to answer but I think it's better to keep it relative short.

By the way, I'm using Google and I won't if they would be only bad.
Apple and Microsoft for me are only bad and I don't use them. But I use
Google with Mozillas and CustomizedGoogle.

AND this is not a failure of Linux but a problem in reality. Linux isn't
state of the art, because of the fact that you can't use all hardware.
Working with other people I can't say: "Okay, let's use my computer and
your printer, audio equipment etc., like it's possible to do with Windows.

The woman I've quoted is not writing with me about computers, it was
just a topic as a sideline.

Thanks to Peter, for the information about MIDI-pick ups .

The advantage of Linux should be, all the little applications instead of
just one big application. If you advice coders that it's not good to
handle clients for Jack with different names, for each session, they'll
blame the other project and won't change their own.

I tried to program some applications for Linux in C++, but I've given
up. The coder has to do to much of the work the compiler should do. I
prefer Assembler but there are no documentations for it, if you'll use
e.g. Jack without much knowledge about C, it won't work. To be fine with
Linux I have to become better with my English and C++.

By the way, not to use running status within Jack is wasting resources,
resp. it's done because it's programmed in a way, that not to use
running status will need less resources, something that is absolute
grotesque . Okay, I'm a noob with Linux, but I'm able to think logical.

When I used other computer systems I was fine with the hardest things in
a very short time. I'm using Linux for years and I'm not able to see
through, ok, all my Linux where unstable because of my hardware,
hardware that was used in pro-audio studios but not with Linux.

There is no need to convince me about the advantages of Linux, because I
prefer Linux to any other OS. I just try to figure out the reason why
Linux is to hard for most people. BSD won't be an alternative, because
of the problems with realtime, apart from the fact that it's for the
rest a quasi Linux as far as I know and not only IEEE 1003 like a MacOS.
But I've just heard about BSD and don't know it myself. So I might be wrong.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Ralf Mardorf

PS:

As a simple desktop client for graphic, office and especial for the net,
Linux is better than MacOS and Windows and mostly state of the art .

I like it that Debain don't use AppArmor, because I also don't use a
firewall etc., resp, sometimes I use AntiVir, to be sure that things are
safe, while I send them via email to their Windows.

I'm not fine with 64studio and graphic work, because of the less
possible vertical refresh rate I reported about, but I guess I can solve
this with using Suse.

So I will have not on Linux for all, but nobody will have a Windows for
the Internet and as a stable DAW, therefore you need 2 Windows.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> PS:
>
> As a simple desktop client for graphic, office and especial for the net,
> Linux is better than MacOS and Windows and mostly state of the art .
>
> I like it that Debain don't use AppArmor, because I also don't use a
> firewall etc.

> Sometimes I use AntiVir, to be sure that things are
> safe, if I send them via email to the Windows of friends.
>
> I'm not fine with 64studio and graphic work, because of the less
> possible vertical refresh rate I reported about, but I guess I can solve
> this with using Suse.
>
> So I will have not on Linux for all, but nobody will have a Windows for
> the Internet and as a stable DAW, therefore you also need 2 Windows.

Sorry, I think I can write better English than I do at the moment, I
won't correct it more than I did above, but instead I'll work a little
bit to get some problems solved.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> You mean possible excuses people may use to justify *not* choosing to
> use Linux

Yes but I've a better idea. Instead of thinking what people don't
like, I'll asked the woman who's green with Linux:

"Usually Linux isn't complicated while in use as a desktop client. You
can get problems with pro-audio and things like that and some hardware
won't work because of the arrogance by some companies. As you see, you
have problems with Windows . What are the things you wasn't fine with,
while using the Linux of a friend?

Greetz from Oberhausen
Ralf"

Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>
>> You mean possible excuses people may use to justify *not* choosing to
>> use Linux
>>

> Yes but I've a better idea. Instead of thinking what people don't
> like, I'll asked the woman who's green with Linux:
>
> "Usually Linux isn't complicated while in use as a desktop client. You
> can get problems with pro-audio and things like that and some hardware
> won't work because of the arrogance by some companies. As you see, you
> have problems with Windows . What are the things you wasn't fine with,
> while using the Linux of a friend?
>
> Greetz from Oberhausen
> Ralf"

A last quote of her:

"I only used it briefly and just found it rather hard to get used to.
Also sending him photos on yahoo messenger was impossible as well as
using the web cam. It just might be how his system was set up he was a
complicated person who liked to make things as nerdy as possible to look
cool ;-)"

Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Gustin Johnson

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
| Thanks Gustin and Peter for your replies
|
| first I'll answer to you Peter, because you have written off-list, I
| will keep my answer short. Like most people here you know much about
| computers and music productions, even if you think it's not like
| that. You and me, we know much more about this then "normal" users
| do.
|
| A woman from Boston, she's a freelance photographer has a slow
| Computer, because she has only 1GB space left and can't defrag,
| because of the less space. I didn't asked her if I'm allowed to quote
| her, but I know she would allow me to do it .
|
| I told her that Unix file systems don't have to be defrag and that
| she should use Linux because most people are fine with GIMP and it's
| also possible to run PS on Linux, she replied:
|
| "Hi Ralf,
|
| I dunno about Linux. I have friends who love it, friends who hate it.
| I seemed needlessly complicated when I used my friends system. No one
| has yet given me a good enough argument about it's usefulness to me.

First, the word "free" in English has multiple uses. There is free as
in zero dollars, and free as in freedom. The english world gets hung up
on this. Your friend from Boston probably does not understand the second.

| Cheerz [...]"
|
| And now I can pass over to answer Gustin.
|
| "Normal" users are fine with other OS, without learning all about
| their system. They are not fine with Linux because Linux can't be
| used intuit from the beginning on and it's not state of the art.

"Normal" users did learn quite a lot about their computer systems in the
first place. They are now unwilling to change or learn something new.
Period. This is normal human behaviour, and I no longer waste a lot of
time trying to convince them otherwise.

| I'm "free" to use Linux and no other OS because I just do my own
| thing, I'm jobless. But when I ad sound to films as a professional,
| nobody would have been able to pay it with Linux, because of the
| missing functionality, e.g. fixed tracks and polyrhythm you need to
| sync to special FX while changing speed of the music.
|
| The other thing. I'll start a job and another person will go on with
| it. It's not possible to restore an audio production session just by
|
| To come back to my DVDRAM. There is no need for a driver. It will
| work with Suse and it won't work with Debian because there might be
| something different with the HAL policy or auto mount or something
| else, also it's not good to use DVDRAMs by Verbatim because if you
| format them with Linux and you have to do this, you only can write on
| them as root. You need DVDRAM from Panasonic that are formatted. I
| found no readme for Debian that solve the problem. I'm jobless, I've
| been a coder for other OS, so it's okay for me but it's invalid for
| normal users.
|
| Ok, Linux is a gift, nobody has to pay for it (anyhow the Ardour
| people seems to be outlandish and need a lot of money from the
| users). That Linux is for free won't make it better, that there are
| many problems with it.

I have followed ardour for a long time, and I do understand their
frustrations. There is always a cost, be it in time, money, effort etc.
~ The ardour folks noticed that a lot of people complain, but give
nothing in return (be it money, time, or effort), so they encourage
money as that is something most people can give. If there were more
people actually contributing to the project instead of just whining and
making feature requests, I suspect that the mood over
there would change.

| I've much more to answer but I think it's better to keep it relative
| short.
|
| By the way, I'm using Google and I won't if they would be only bad.
| Apple and Microsoft for me are only bad and I don't use them. But I
| use Google with Mozillas and CustomizedGoogle.
|
| AND this is not a failure of Linux but a problem in reality. Linux
| isn't state of the art, because of the fact that you can't use all
| hardware. Working with other people I can't say: "Okay, let's use my
| computer and your printer, audio equipment etc., like it's possible
| to do with Windows.

I think you and I mean very different things with the phrase "state of
the art". Being able to use every last piece of crappy hardware out
there does not constitute "state of the art". To me that phrase is
indicating a high degree of technical sophistication. If hardware
makers choose to not support the linux kernel, that hardly speaks about
Linux's technical prowess. Btw, it is a myth that this is something
that Windows gets right. I have an 8 port audio interface that was not
supported (and never will be) by Windows XP and up. When I retired my
win98 DAW I upgraded to 2000 and Cubase SX. That experience literally
drove me to Linux on the Desktop and to Linux as my DAW.

I have also learned that "pro audio" is meaningless. It is a marketing
label that 9 times out of 10 is used to sell crappy hardware at a
ridiculously inflated price. From there we get to deal with the
arbitrary limits of the software. Steinberg had a loyal customer in
me, and they lost it

| The woman I've quoted is not writing with me about computers, it was
| just a topic as a sideline.
|
| Thanks to Peter, for the information about MIDI-pick ups .
|
| The advantage of Linux should be, all the little applications instead
| of just one big application. If you advice coders that it's not good
| to handle clients for Jack with different names, for each session,
| they'll blame the other project and won't change their own.
|
| I tried to program some applications for Linux in C++, but I've given
| up. The coder has to do to much of the work the compiler should do.
| I prefer Assembler but there are no documentations for it, if you'll
| use e.g. Jack without much knowledge about C, it won't work. To be
| fine with Linux I have to become better with my English and C++.
|
| By the way, not to use running status within Jack is wasting
| resources, resp. it's done because it's programmed in a way, that not
| to use running status will need less resources, something that is
| absolute grotesque . Okay, I'm a noob with Linux, but I'm able to
| think logical.
|
| When I used other computer systems I was fine with the hardest things
| in a very short time. I'm using Linux for years and I'm not able to
| see through, ok, all my Linux where unstable because of my hardware,
| hardware that was used in pro-audio studios but not with Linux.
|
| There is no need to convince me about the advantages of Linux,
| because I prefer Linux to any other OS. I just try to figure out the
| reason why Linux is to hard for most people. BSD won't be an
| alternative, because of the problems with realtime, apart from the
| fact that it's for the rest a quasi Linux as far as I know and not
| only IEEE 1003 like a MacOS. But I've just heard about BSD and don't
| know it myself. So I might be wrong.

FYI, MacOS X is based around a FreeBSD kernel. This is way OT, but in
my opinion, Mac OS X constitutes a failure of BSD type licences.

I have not been following BSD closely for some time, so I am not sure
about low latency/rt and other technical issues.