Old 05-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Suggestion for a poll

I Think this one is a really interesting question:

Are people today using "real" synthesizers or do they use virtual once?

To speak in my behalf, I'm surrounded by "real" synths. Their quality is
much better of any virtual synth, but I don't wish to hear them any
more. My favourite is the fluidsynth plug in, with Rhodes, Mellotron
(and I wish to have D6) samples etc., but I wish to have real
instruments and I wish I would be able to play them .

Cheers!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:48 PM
"Nate figlar"

Hi Ralf,

Here's my 2 cents for what it worth anyways

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> I would like to know what kind of people will use Linux for their DAW.
>
> 1. Are they more interested to listen to natural instruments or to
> samples and synthesizers?

I would say I lean somewhat towards traditional guitar, bass, drums
although I also like various synths too and even theremins. I do also
again favor the more vintage synths/keys like the old wurlitzers,
rhoads, B3 organs. But my old digital korg m1 is my favorite synth for
years.

> 2. Are there more professionals, resp. formerly professionals or
> semi-professionals and amateurs?

I am somewhere in between the pro to semi pro range. I do depend on
music for part of my income.

> 3. Are they able to program software or not?

Well I can do some scripting but that's about it. I do some work as a
computer tech in the hardware/troubleshooting relam of things. I can
say I didn't really start using linux until then. Before that I used
all pre OS X mac based DAW from about 1995-2001. but as for actually
programming C+ or more advanced languages that most apps use, No not
really.

> 4. Are they unable to speak English?

Well I am from the US and English is my only language.

> Etc.
>
> I'm afraid that a Linux DAW is something that's only interesting for
> freakish people.

I know what you mean but I have seen alot more interest from my peers.
Especially with the problems and expense of vista. Most "starving
musicians" I met seem to like the free linux price tag compared to
that of hundreds or thousands of dollars of windows DAW.

> Reading about Captain Beefheard, Os Mutantes etc. makes me afraid that
> we are dinosaurs.
>
> Perhaps we all have more long-playing records than CDs!
>
> Off topic: I'm a dinosaur. Can anybody tell me something about the state
> of the art concerning to MIDI-pick ups for guitars?
> The last time I'll tried to play "Voodoo Chile" using a guitar synth I
> decided, that it's better not to play synthesizers by guitar, because of
> the delay. This might be 20 years ago. I've knowledge about studio
> equipment, but I always ignores the technology for MIDI-pick ups and at
> the moment I have less contacts to the business.

hope this helps you Ralf

best regards,
nate

Nathan Figlar
sonorone@gmail.com
304-771-2456

Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Nate figlar wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> Here's my 2 cents for what it worth anyways
>
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
>> I would like to know what kind of people will use Linux for their DAW.
>>
>> 1. Are they more interested to listen to natural instruments or to
>> samples and synthesizers?
>>

> I would say I lean somewhat towards traditional guitar, bass, drums
> although I also like various synths too and even theremins. I do also
> again favor the more vintage synths/keys like the old wurlitzers,
> rhoads, B3 organs. But my old digital korg m1 is my favorite synth for
> years.

Ok, you're a dinosaur like me . I don't like the Korg M1, I'm a fan of
(my) the old DX7, in the full metal case .

>> 2. Are there more professionals, resp. formerly professionals or
>> semi-professionals and amateurs?
>>

> I am somewhere in between the pro to semi pro range. I do depend on
> music for part of my income.

I'm something between state benefit and pro .

>> 3. Are they able to program software or not?
>>

> Well I can do some scripting but that's about it. I do some work as a
> computer tech in the hardware/troubleshooting relam of things. I can
> say I didn't really start using linux until then. Before that I used
> all pre OS X mac based DAW from about 1995-2001. but as for actually
> programming C+ or more advanced languages that most apps use, No not
> really.

I've been a coder for C64 and Atari St. I'm not fine with C but I'm able
to do Assembler for some processors.

We both are nicer a noob nor a neerd ;D.

>> 4. Are they unable to speak English?
>>

> Well I am from the US and English is my only language.

I think the language for Linux is English. My English is broken, but
good enough to read howtoes.

>> Etc.
>>
>> I'm afraid that a Linux DAW is something that's only interesting for
>> freakish people.
>>

> I know what you mean but I have seen alot more interest from my peers.
> Especially with the problems and expense of vista. Most "starving
> musicians" I met seem to like the free linux price tag compared to
> that of hundreds or thousands of dollars of windows DAW.

Here's my argument against Linux. I have to inform that I only use Linux.

It's invalid, but no problem to get a crack for Mac or Windows.

Using Windows it might be smarter to use XP instead of Vista.

I don't no much people using Linux to be creative. Sometimes I'm
thinking to use my Atari ST with Cubase and I think about how to get
the money to fix my defect analogue equipment.

Since about a month I have good computer hardware and I'm fine with
Linux, but not at all.

>> Reading about Captain Beefheard, Os Mutantes etc. makes me afraid that
>> we are dinosaurs.
>>
>> Perhaps we all have more long-playing records than CDs!
>>
>> Off topic: I'm a dinosaur. Can anybody tell me something about the state
>> of the art concerning to MIDI-pick ups for guitars?
>> The last time I'll tried to play "Voodoo Chile" using a guitar synth I
>> decided, that it's better not to play synthesizers by guitar, because of
>> the delay. This might be 20 years ago. I've knowledge about studio
>> equipment, but I always ignores the technology for MIDI-pick ups and at
>> the moment I have less contacts to the business.
>>

> hope this helps you Ralf
>
> best regards,
> nate

Thank you Nate.

Even if I don't like statistics, I wish to have some about the use of
Linux DAWs.

Maybe the only really interesting question is, how much we are. How many
people do use a Linux DAW.

This might be not important, but it's still interesting for me.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Daniel James

Hi Ralf,

> My favourite is the fluidsynth plug in, with Rhodes, Mellotron

Now you have a faster CPU, you should try QSampler with some mellotron
.gig files that are available from various download sites.

> I wish to have real
> instruments and I wish I would be able to play them

I can relate to that :-) However the older electronic keyboard
instruments are heavy, difficult to tune and sometimes impossible to get
spare parts for. So a good quality sample set has a number of advantages
over the real thing; it's not just the poor cousin any more.

>> Reading about Captain Beefheard, Os Mutantes etc. makes me afraid that
>> we are dinosaurs.

The records may be old, but the software is state of the art ;-) I do
buy new CD releases, but it's unfair to expect each one to measure up to
the classics. And there are so many new CD releases of old material that
was never available to me on vinyl, like The Faust Tapes.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 05-23-2008, 09:23 AM
tim hall

Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I'm afraid that a Linux DAW is something that's only interesting for
> freakish people.
>
> Reading about Captain Beefheard, Os Mutantes etc. makes me afraid that
> we are dinosaurs.

I like to think of myself as a pre-historic mammal myself. Actually 'The
Bees' don't look that old to me. Remember that fashions recycle every
twenty years or so, that means the Mutantes should be coming back into
fashion for the second time! The fashion magazines tell me that this
year's thing is 'Freak Folk' which harks back to bands like 'Dr
Strangely Strange' and 'Comus' from the '70s. Hendrix, Dylan and Joni
Mitchell never went out of fashion - every year I meet kids just out of
college with acoustic guitars and mostly they're not playing recent
indie hits, they'll be singing Beatles and Bob Marley songs, just like
their parents' generation did. OK, maybe a bit of REM and Radiohead, but
most of them prefer to write their own.

> Perhaps we all have more long-playing records than CDs!

Perhaps it is the case that fashion is finally catching up with us! I
have more Oggs and Mp3s myself.

cheers,

tim

Old 05-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Ralf Mardorf

tim hall wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> I'm afraid that a Linux DAW is something that's only interesting for
>> freakish people.
>>
>> Reading about Captain Beefheard, Os Mutantes etc. makes me afraid that
>> we are dinosaurs.
>
> I like to think of myself as a pre-historic mammal myself. Actually
> 'The Bees' don't look that old to me. Remember that fashions recycle
> every twenty years or so, that means the Mutantes should be coming
> back into fashion for the second time! The fashion magazines tell me
> that this year's thing is 'Freak Folk' which harks back to bands like
> 'Dr Strangely Strange' and 'Comus' from the '70s. Hendrix, Dylan and
> Joni Mitchell never went out of fashion - every year I meet kids just
> out of college with acoustic guitars and mostly they're not playing
> recent indie hits, they'll be singing Beatles and Bob Marley songs,
> just like their parents' generation did. OK, maybe a bit of REM and
> Radiohead, but most of them prefer to write their own.
>
>> Perhaps we all have more long-playing records than CDs!
>
> Perhaps it is the case that fashion is finally catching up with us! I
> have more Oggs and Mp3s myself.
>
> cheers,
>
> tim

Believing the media OS Mutantes are back in fashion.

I think the kids will play the hits of The Beatles but not the good
stuff .

Hendrix is covered by many modern bands and only out of date for
snobbish academical musicians that doesn't know the different between
acrobatics and music.

I'm not fine with that formats, I don't like something with a lower
quality than PCM (.wav) and FLAC and even 44,1KHz, I'm working with, is
borderline to my old ears. 48KHz are fine for me but I cant hear my one
music because I have two DAT recorders and both are defect. DATs aren't
good.

Thinking about how much money it takes to maintain good analogous
equipment 44,1KHz seems to me the best alternative.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> tim hall wrote:
>
>> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>

>>> I'm afraid that a Linux DAW is something that's only interesting for
>>> freakish people.
>>>
>>> Reading about Captain Beefheard, Os Mutantes etc. makes me afraid that
>>> we are dinosaurs.
>>>
>> I like to think of myself as a pre-historic mammal myself. Actually
>> 'The Bees' don't look that old to me. Remember that fashions recycle
>> every twenty years or so, that means the Mutantes should be coming
>> back into fashion for the second time! The fashion magazines tell me
>> that this year's thing is 'Freak Folk' which harks back to bands like
>> 'Dr Strangely Strange' and 'Comus' from the '70s. Hendrix, Dylan and
>> Joni Mitchell never went out of fashion - every year I meet kids just
>> out of college with acoustic guitars and mostly they're not playing
>> recent indie hits, they'll be singing Beatles and Bob Marley songs,
>> just like their parents' generation did. OK, maybe a bit of REM and
>> Radiohead, but most of them prefer to write their own.
>>

>>> Perhaps we all have more long-playing records than CDs!
>>>
>> Perhaps it is the case that fashion is finally catching up with us! I
>> have more Oggs and Mp3s myself.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> tim
>>

> Believing the media OS Mutantes are back in fashion.
>
> I think the kids will play the hits of The Beatles but not the good
> stuff .
>
> Hendrix is covered by many modern bands and only out of date for
> snobbish academical musicians that doesn't know the different between
> acrobatics and music.
>

> I'm not fine with that formats, I don't like something with a lower
> quality than PCM (.wav) and FLAC and even 44,1KHz, *the KHz* I'm working with, is
> borderline to my old ears. 48KHz are fine for me but I cant hear my _one_ *own*
> music because I have two DAT recorders and both are defect. DATs aren't
> good.
>
> Thinking about how much money it takes to maintain good analogous
> equipment 44,1KHz seems to me the best alternative.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Aargh, it's easier to write to German forums, when short at time. I'll
reply the other mails later.