FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > 64 Studio > 64 Studio User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Howtos to mailing lists or forums?

Daniel James wrote:
> [...] we now have a new forum on the website:
>
> Free hardware offered/wanted
>
> [...] http://www.64studio.com/forum/12 [...]
>

Wow very promptly, thank you.

Now to the subject of this mail.

I like this list a lot and I'm not in the forums but maybe Pieter
Palmers (jack list) is right with this: "I think one of our
documentation problems is the fact that we use mailing lists so
extensively. You can find almost all answers on them, but it takes a while."

I won't bother this mailing list again with this discussion but suggest
that if some people think a help from the list will be essential to post
it in the future as howto to the tutorials.

Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Quentin Harley
 
Default Howtos to mailing lists or forums?

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I like this list a lot and I'm not in the forums but maybe Pieter
> Palmers (jack list) is right with this: "I think one of our
> documentation problems is the fact that we use mailing lists so
> extensively. You can find almost all answers on them, but it takes a while."
>

There is a way of extracting info from the list...

There are many list archivers out there - here is one example:
http://www.nabble.com/64-Studio-dev-f19244.html

and also
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.64studio

I regularly look for things in the list, as we did not have the forums
for the whole duration of the distribution, and some problems have a way
of cropping up more than once...

Cheers,
Quentin


_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Howtos to mailing lists or forums?

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> I like this list a lot and I'm not in the forums but maybe Pieter
>> Palmers (jack list) is right with this: "I think one of our
>> documentation problems is the fact that we use mailing lists so
>> extensively. You can find almost all answers on them, but it takes a
>> while."
>>
>
> There is a way of extracting info from the list...
>
> There are many list archivers out there - here is one example:
> http://www.nabble.com/64-Studio-dev-f19244.html
>
> and also
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.64studio
>
> I regularly look for things in the list, as we did not have the forums
> for the whole duration of the distribution, and some problems have a
> way of cropping up more than once...
>
> Cheers,
> Quentin

Hi Quentin

thank you this is a help for me. I bookmarked this links. The problem
with it still is, that machines like Google will find postings in Forums
but seldom in mailing lists.

Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Gustin Johnson
 
Default Howtos to mailing lists or forums?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Google works just fine with these web archives of mailing lists. you
can use the site: option to limit google to a particular url.

I know with my local LUG we have discussed this many times. We are
solidly split between the web forum people and the mailing list people
with the mail list people always winning the "vote".

I know for me, remembering yet another web login actually interferes
with my interaction. Once you start tracking a couple of projects, web
forums quickly become cumbersome.

Just my 2c.

cheers,

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
| Quentin Harley wrote:
|> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
|>> I like this list a lot and I'm not in the forums but maybe Pieter
|>> Palmers (jack list) is right with this: "I think one of our
|>> documentation problems is the fact that we use mailing lists so
|>> extensively. You can find almost all answers on them, but it takes a
|>> while."
|>>
|> There is a way of extracting info from the list...
|>
|> There are many list archivers out there - here is one example:
|> http://www.nabble.com/64-Studio-dev-f19244.html
|>
|> and also
|> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.64studio
|>
|> I regularly look for things in the list, as we did not have the forums
|> for the whole duration of the distribution, and some problems have a
|> way of cropping up more than once...
|>
|> Cheers,
|> Quentin
|
| Hi Quentin
|
| thank you this is a help for me. I bookmarked this links. The problem
| with it still is, that machines like Google will find postings in Forums
| but seldom in mailing lists.
|
| Cheers,
| Ralf
|
|
|
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
| _______________________________________________
| 64studio-users mailing list
| 64studio-users@64studio.com
| http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIKbmTwRXgH3rKGfMRAqiLAJ99lkSGwSQQcXjp2ZLwiC MgApW8OQCdGuJw
aoQoMU8lLz33MQgPg/iNeUU=
=s+bA
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Howtos to mailing lists or forums?

Hi Gustin

thank you for writing me your opinion. I won't waste your time with a
new discussion about it.

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> Google works just fine with these web archives of mailing lists. you
> can use the site: option to limit google to a particular url.

I can do this because I know about it. I'm thinking of people that don't
know anything about alternatives to Apple and Microsoft to make music
but principally I'm thinking of people using Linux as real users and not
as semi-coders.

> I know with my local LUG we have discussed this many times. We are
> solidly split between the web forum people and the mailing list people
> with the mail list people always winning the "vote".

Ok and I think we shouldn't make again a discussion about it.

> [...] web forums quickly become cumbersome.

I agree with you here.

Résumé: Maybe it will become to chaotic to decide which help from the
mailing list should become an howto, posted on the 64 Studio's homepage.
Also it could become to time-consuming to do that.

I'm still not happy with the status of Linux. Computer users often don't
like Linux because it's to complicated for them.

IMO easier to find and not outdated postings, manuals etc. by using
searching engines are needed.

Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:43 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org