Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Atte André Jensen

Default debian => 64studio

Hi

Still haven't managed to install from usb, so another angle:

1) Is it possible to install 64 studio on top of a fresh debian?

2) If so, which debian?

3) Will I be missing some automatic configurations that would have
happened, had I installed from dvd? How do I fix these?

Any input appreciated!

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://atte.dk | http://myspace.com/attejensen
http://anagrammer.dk | http://modlys.dk

Old 05-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Atte André Jensen

Atte André Jensen wrote:

> 3) Will I be missing some automatic configurations that would have
> happened, had I installed from dvd? How do I fix these?

Maybe I should elaborate a bit:

I have run debian with rt-patched kernel for years, with good
rt-performance. Recently switched to ubuntu (also with own rt-patched
kernel) with slightly worse rt-performance. Running the live-cd suggests
that 64 studio out of the box will provide rt-performance even better
than my old debian setup, so since I know how to setup a reasonable rt
system, I'm interested in all the the out-of-the-box, rt magic of
64-studio...

Old 05-12-2008, 10:35 AM
tim hall

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Still haven't managed to install from usb, so another angle:
>
> 1) Is it possible to install 64 studio on top of a fresh debian?

Sure is!

> 2) If so, which debian?

Ideally a minimal etch install.

> 3) Will I be missing some automatic configurations that would have
> happened, had I installed from dvd? How do I fix these?

Firstly, replace everything in your /etc/apt/sources.list with:
deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/stable 64studio main
(Or at least comment everything else out for now) You can replace
'stable' with 'testing' if you prefer.

Run
# apt-get dist-upgrade
or use the upgrade button in the Synaptic package manager.
Make sure you install all the 64studio* packages.

You will need to explicitly install a new linux-image-*-multimedia-*
kernel appropriate to your architecture.

I think you still have to
# apt-get install libnet-dbus-perl
In order to get the GNOME configuration utilities to work properly.

However, I seem to remember Free saying something about
# /usr/sbin/64studio-config new
being deprecated in the testing version - can anyone confirm this?

Hope that helps,

cheers,

tim

Old 05-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Atte André Jensen

tim hall wrote:

Thanks for the info!

> Ideally a minimal etch install.

Like in "base system" (no X) or would you recommend one of the
quick-install-shortcut options in the installer, or simply a
by-hand-with-x install?

> # /usr/sbin/64studio-config new
> being deprecated in the testing version - can anyone confirm this?

My guess it that this is the magic, auto-setup, right?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:17 AM
tim hall

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> tim hall wrote:
>
> Thanks for the info!
>
>> Ideally a minimal etch install.
>
> Like in "base system" (no X) or would you recommend one of the
> quick-install-shortcut options in the installer, or simply a
> by-hand-with-x install?

It probably doesn't make much difference. If you're happy with running
apt-get from the command line, then all you need is a system that can
run apt-get; "base system" (no X) should work.

>> # /usr/sbin/64studio-config new
>> being deprecated in the testing version - can anyone confirm this?
>
> My guess it that this is the magic, auto-setup, right?

Right. It's a shell script, as is /usr/sbin/cdd-config.

cheers,

tim

Old 05-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Ralf Mardorf

tim hall wrote:
>>> # /usr/sbin/64studio-config new
>>> being deprecated in the testing version - can anyone confirm this?
>>>
>> My guess it that this is the magic, auto-setup, right?
>>

> Right. It's a shell script, as is /usr/sbin/cdd-config.
>
> cheers,
>
> tim

I'm using the testing and the following scripts are installed:

/usr/sbin/64studio-config
/usr/sbin/64studio-upgrade
/usr/sbin/cdd-config

But if he just want to run the multimedia-kernel with Debian Etch, won't
it be enough if the user becomes member of the group audio and if he
will edit /etc/security/limits.conf and also needed for 64 Studio itself
to give consistent device numbers for ALSA?

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 AM
tim hall

Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> My guess it that this is the magic, auto-setup, right?
>>>
>> Right. It's a shell script, as is /usr/sbin/cdd-config.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> tim
>
> I'm using the testing and the following scripts are installed:
>
> /usr/sbin/64studio-config
> /usr/sbin/64studio-upgrade
> /usr/sbin/cdd-config
>
> But if he just want to run the multimedia-kernel with Debian Etch, won't
> it be enough if the user becomes member of the group audio and if he
> will edit /etc/security/limits.conf and also needed for 64 Studio itself
> to give consistent device numbers for ALSA?

Hypothetically, yes. The 64studio-* scripts do the transformation to a
'proper' 64 Studio install. Up to that point you're running Debian with
some extra 64 Studio packages on top.

cheers,

tim

Old 05-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Folderol

On Tue, 13 May 2008 09:11:03 +0100
tim hall <tim@64studio.com> wrote:

> Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >> Right. It's a shell script, as is /usr/sbin/cdd-config.
> >>
> >> cheers,
> >>
> >> tim
> >
> > I'm using the testing and the following scripts are installed:
> >
> > /usr/sbin/64studio-config
> > /usr/sbin/64studio-upgrade
> > /usr/sbin/cdd-config
> >
> > But if he just want to run the multimedia-kernel with Debian Etch, won't
> > it be enough if the user becomes member of the group audio and if he
> > will edit /etc/security/limits.conf and also needed for 64 Studio itself
> > to give consistent device numbers for ALSA?
>
> Hypothetically, yes. The 64studio-* scripts do the transformation to a
> 'proper' 64 Studio install. Up to that point you're running Debian with
> some extra 64 Studio packages on top.
>
> cheers,
>
> tim

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why not just install 64studio?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Old 05-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Folderol wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 09:11:03 +0100
> tim hall <tim@64studio.com> wrote:
>

>> Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> I'm using the testing and the following scripts are installed:
>>>
>>> /usr/sbin/64studio-config
>>> /usr/sbin/64studio-upgrade
>>> /usr/sbin/cdd-config
>>>
>>> But if he just want to run the multimedia-kernel with Debian Etch, won't
>>> it be enough if the user becomes member of the group audio and if he
>>> will edit /etc/security/limits.conf and also needed for 64 Studio itself
>>> to give consistent device numbers for ALSA?
>>>
>> Hypothetically, yes. The 64studio-* scripts do the transformation to a
>> 'proper' 64 Studio install. Up to that point you're running Debian with
>> some extra 64 Studio packages on top.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> tim
>>

> Maybe I'm missing something here, but why not just install 64studio?

Still haven't managed to install from usb, so another angle:

1) Is it possible to install 64 studio on top of a fresh debian?

2) If so, which debian?

3) Will I be missing some automatic configurations that would have
happened, had I installed from dvd? How do I fix these?

Any input appreciated!

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://atte.dk | http://myspace.com/attejensen
http://anagrammer.dk | http://modlys.dk

Maybe he has got problems with the 64studio CD which is a DVD or
something like that?!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:39 AM
Atte André Jensen

Folderol wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something here, but why not just install 64studio?

Because I (as stated in the original post) don't have access to a dvd
writer, and couldn't figure out how to install with the dvd-image from
usb-stick...