-   -   debian-multimedia.org repository (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/84804-debian-multimedia-org-repository.html)

Jaromír Mikeš 05-08-2008 11:20 PM

debian-multimedia.org repository

Hello,

I enabled www.debian-multimedia.org repository and after reload I've got this output.
I didn't use this repo for a while.

Thanks for help

mirami

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occurred while processing avidemux (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/www.debian-multimedia.org_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

tim hall 05-09-2008 10:17 AM

Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
> Solved... some mess in my source.list
>
> I enabled www.debian-multimedia.org repository and after reload I've got this output.
> I didn't use this repo for a while.
>
> Thanks for help
>
> mirami
>
> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
> E: Error occurred while processing avidemux (NewVersion1)
> E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/www.debian-multimedia.org_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Just in case anyone else ever gets caught by this problem again: AFAICT
these errors are caused by apt running out of negotiable hard-drive
space. Freshly downloaded packages are stored in
/var/cache/apt/archives/ to wait to be unpacked, for this reason you
need to allow /var plenty of space if you ever decide to put it on its
own partition (like a gig or two). Problems like this can often be
solved by clearing out the package cache and starting again.

The system as it stands appears to handle running out of HD space very
badly - I'm not sure where the fault lies, but I suspect this might be a
limitation of ext3. If there is not enough room, the OS still attempts
to write out the file, which can result in massive corruption, or at
least lots of empty files. I've been bitten quite badly by this in the
past, it seems to decide that it has run out of space far too late in
the process. I find it a Right Royal PITA, but I have no idea where to
start reporting bugs, plus I don't want to try and reproduce it on a
working system.

I'm glad you solved your problem. I'd be interested to find out if other
people have experienced similar difficulties.

cheers,

tim