Old 05-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Atte André Jensen

Default installing from non-DVD media

Hi

I posted before a week ago, but got no response, so I try again with a
slightly different angle.

I do not have acces to a dvd-writer. Is it possible to install 64 studio
from something else? If so, where can I read about how to do that?

Thanks in advance for any response.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://atte.dk | http://myspace.com/attejensen
http://anagrammer.dk | http://modlys.dk

Old 05-08-2008, 01:17 AM
"Paul Wise"

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Atte André Jensen
<atte.jensen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not have acces to a dvd-writer. Is it possible to install 64 studio
> from something else? If so, where can I read about how to do that?

The Debian Installer can also be booted from floppies, usb sticks,
hard drives with grub/lilo, the network and Windows installations:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05.html.en
http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

Dunno if 64studio supports all these options though.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 05-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi,

|--==> Paul Wise writes:

PW> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Atte André Jensen
PW> <atte.jensen@gmail.com> wrote:

>>I do not have acces to a dvd-writer. Is it possible to install 64 studio
>>from something else? If so, where can I read about how to do that?

PW> The Debian Installer can also be booted from floppies, usb sticks,
PW> hard drives with grub/lilo, the network and Windows installations:

PW> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05.html.en
PW> http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

PW> Dunno if 64studio supports all these options though.

Yes, everything is supported. I would suggest USB stick.

Ciao,

Free

Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Atte André Jensen

Quentin Harley wrote:

> Try this
>
> http://www.64studio.com/node/262

I already did but (as mentioned in my post here on 2008-05-02) but
couldn't make it work.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Atte André Jensen

Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Atte André Jensen
> <atte.jensen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do not have acces to a dvd-writer. Is it possible to install 64 studio
>> from something else? If so, where can I read about how to do that?
>
> The Debian Installer can also be booted from floppies, usb sticks,
> hard drives with grub/lilo, the network and Windows installations:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05.html.en

Ok, I'll try that route one of the next days. It seems to be exactly the
same as http://www.64studio.com/node/262 which I already tried.

Maybe you could comment on my post on 2008-05-02, and see if I did
anything wrong, or something is out of sync in the 64studio iso (from
debian installer) that makes it impossible.

Short recap of the problem (from my previous post):

When the installer looks for the build-in, non-wlan ethernet card, I get
an error about module mismatch or missing modules or something, and the
installler basically tells me that this is not gonna work out. I guess
the initrd.gz (which AFAIK contains the modules, or???) from the debian
installer is out sync with the 64studio-live_2.0_i386.iso.

> http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

This seems to be for windows users, right (at least it downloads an
.exe)? I don't have windows, so I guess that's not for me...

Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Gustin Johnson

Atte André Jensen wrote:
| Paul Wise wrote:
|> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Atte André Jensen
|> <atte.jensen@gmail.com> wrote:
|>
|>> I do not have acces to a dvd-writer. Is it possible to install 64
studio
|>> from something else? If so, where can I read about how to do that?
|> The Debian Installer can also be booted from floppies, usb sticks,
|> hard drives with grub/lilo, the network and Windows installations:
|>
|> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05.html.en
|
| Ok, I'll try that route one of the next days. It seems to be exactly the
| same as http://www.64studio.com/node/262 which I already tried.
|
| Maybe you could comment on my post on 2008-05-02, and see if I did
| anything wrong, or something is out of sync in the 64studio iso (from
| debian installer) that makes it impossible.
|
| Short recap of the problem (from my previous post):
|
| When the installer looks for the build-in, non-wlan ethernet card, I get
| an error about module mismatch or missing modules or something, and the
| installler basically tells me that this is not gonna work out. I guess

The specific error would be helpful. More details about your system
might be helpful.

| the initrd.gz (which AFAIK contains the modules, or???) from the debian
| installer is out sync with the 64studio-live_2.0_i386.iso.

These instructions are for installing Debian Etch, which you can then
convert to 64Studio. Did you perhaps use the 64Studio ISO instead of
the Debian one?

There are a couple of links in the post:
http://www.64studio.com/node/262

which one did you use? The http://d-i.pascal.at/ site lists two
different methods, did you follow one of these? If so which one?

Is your motherboard capable of booting from USB?

|> http://goodbye-microsoft.com/
|
| This seems to be for windows users, right (at least it downloads an
| .exe)? I don't have windows, so I guess that's not for me...

No idea. I have never seen this before.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:55 AM

OK! I think I know what your problem might be.

The live iso is NOT an installer image. You have to use the other one.
http://cdd.64studio.com/releases/64studio/64studio_2.1rc2_i386.iso

Try it and let us know...

Quentin

Old 05-08-2008, 08:01 AM
"Paul Wise"

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@gmail.com> wrote:

> > http://goodbye-microsoft.com/
>
> This seems to be for windows users, right (at least it downloads an
> .exe)? I don't have windows, so I guess that's not for me...

Yep, it is a simple GUI to setup the Windows bootloader so that it
loads the netboot images of the Debian installer. Basically a
clicky-clicky wrapper around wget + echo >> C:oot.ini, plus some
pre-seeding of locale and other information.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Atte André Jensen

qharley@wbs.co.za wrote:

> The live iso is NOT an installer image. You have to use the other one.
> http://cdd.64studio.com/releases/64studio/64studio_2.1rc2_i386.iso

I used "the one called" 64studio_2_0_i386.iso. I thought that was the
installer...

> Try it and let us know...

I will...

Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Daniel James

Hi Atte,

> I used "the one called" 64studio_2_0_i386.iso. I thought that was the
> installer...

Yes, it is - I think you referred to the Live CD in an earlier mail.

I suspect this a problem with the driver for your specific ethernet
card, as the installer is able to start. See the thread here, which
concerns the Lenny installer on the same Ethernet chipset:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2008/04/msg00468.html

Cheers!

Daniel