Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Atte André Jensen

Default installing from non-DVD media

Daniel James wrote:

> I suspect this a problem with the driver for your specific ethernet
> card, as the installer is able to start. See the thread here, which
> concerns the Lenny installer on the same Ethernet chipset:

I suspected that too. I was however quite surprised that I wasn't able
to just ignore this, and leave the network unconfigured. I don't
remember the exact error messages, but the whole installer chickened out.

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2008/04/msg00468.html

I think I infact have this exact ethernetcard:

atte@ajstrup:~$ lsmod | grep e1000
e1000 126272 0
atte@ajstrup:~$

I'm not sure however where this leaves me. Should I for instance be able
to go through with
http://cdd.64studio.com/releases/64studio/64studio_2.1rc2_i386.iso as
suggested by qharley?

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://atte.dk | http://myspace.com/attejensen
http://anagrammer.dk | http://modlys.dk

Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Quentin Harley

Give it a shot. If your flash-drive is booting, it might be as easy as
just replacing the iso on the drive.

I am going to make an installer for myself anyway and write down the
process.

Good luck,
Quentin

Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Daniel James

Hi Atte,

> Should I for instance be able
> to go through with
> http://cdd.64studio.com/releases/64studio/64studio_2.1rc2_i386.iso as
> suggested by qharley?

If the problem is the installer kernel support for that specific
chipset, then I don't think 2.1rc2 will help because it uses the same
installer kernel image as 2.0 (the Etch one). Worth a try though.

By the way, booting the install with:

install fb=false

solved the problem for the user in that thread I mentioned:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2008/04/msg00560.html

The fact that they had the same ethernet chipset as you may be a red
herring though.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 05-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Atte André Jensen

Quentin Harley wrote:

> I am going to make an installer for myself anyway and write down the
> process.

I'll be very interested in that write-up. Even if I do succeed, info
like this would be handy to have up, I might o be the only one without a
dvd-writer.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Atte André Jensen

qharley@wbs.co.za wrote:
> I will make an
> install USB key tonight for my own use, and I will post the results of
> this exercise into a new page on the 64studio web page.

Did you find time to try this out?