Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 PM
"Pablo Fernandez"

Default Half Solved: Problems with Envy24control and m-audio audiophile 2496

> Hi!

> I've got a m-audio audiophile 2496. The performance is great. The latency

> reported by Jack is below 3 ms. The sound is great. All seems just OK but

> for one thing: The analog volume tab in Envy24ctrl behaves chaotically. I

> have discovered it just a few days ago when I was trying to lower the input

> volume of capture 2 (ADC 1 in Envycontrol) leaving alone the outputs, DAC0

> and DAC1. *I can't tweak the levels independently. What's more, there is not

> a repetitive pattern of behaviour. Even when I'm only listening to music, if

> I move either ADC the output volume changes (!). Or I move either ACD and,

> at times, nothing changes, but at other times it does.

> It's the same behaviour if jack is running or if it's not.

> I don't know if it's a hardware issue or something about alsa-firmware or

> alsa-tools. My PC is Linux-only so I can't try it with Windows.

> I am running 64studio 2.1 rc1 (pre14). (Edit: 32 bit version)

> Oh, I have a dual boot with Debian Lenny, I'll try it there but only for

> playback. I've got a musix live CD too.

> I'll tell you

> Thanx in advance for any thoughts

> Pablo

Sorry for the double post. I have been trying things. I've opened alsa mixer

and envy24control at the same time. Regardless of which of the mixers I use,

the changes in the analog volumes are reflected in the other, but still the

same chaotic behaviour with the real levels that I listen to in my speakers.

I've also tried with Debian Lenny. The kernel is 2.6.22-3 amd64. It doesn't

make a difference. I'm thinking my audio card is broken but I'm not sure.

Regards

Pablo

Daniel James wrote:

> Hi Pablo,

> Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > I can say that Envy24Control works fine for analog outs and

>> that I had trouble in the past with the ALSA mixer. I never use the ALSA

>> mixer.

> I agree with Ralf, if you have an envy24 card then you should probably

> not use alsamixer. My suggestion would be to leave the analogue faders

> in envy24control close to maximum, and adjust your input or output

> levels on your external equipment.

> Cheers!

> Daniel

Thank you for your tips. The fact is I'm using a VST instrument (Studio Devil, a virtual guitar amp) and I was plugging my guitar right to the audio card, instead of using a mixing console-pre-amp.* If I just wanted to play along with a song using Jack, Studio Devil and Audacious, the volume of the guitar was too high comparing with the player and couldn't properly control it (unless I turned down the gain knob, but I like the sound it produces with a high gain setting).* I admit that I wanted to use the analog faders as a kind of mixer. I realise that's not a good idea. Now I've got a mini-mixer, a Behringer XENYX 502.

I'm not using alsamixer, I used it just to give it a try.
I'll follow Daniel's suggestion. If I put the faders close to the maximum and leave them alone, it seems OK.
Nevertheless, the strange behaviour remains. In another PC I've got a m-audio 1010LT and each fader is assigned to one and only one input or output.

I've checked the hardware connections, as another person suggested here, to no avail.

*

Hi Pablo

I used Google to get information about your card and there seems to be

no substantial difference to my TerraTec a simple 2 channel card too.

If your computer is manly a DAW or there is no need to use the "good"

PCI slot for another card then change the used slot. I have problems

with a non-music PCI card and the vendor asked me to change the PCI

slot, maybe I will try this but for me the main thing is that I can use

my computer to make music. Some PCI slots won't work with some cards.
Also, I've tried using another PCI slot (there are two of them which
have a unique IRQ number, the third one is no good).

I agree with Daniel to leave the faders close to maximum but some people

may have equipment that won't be fine with this because the impedance of

the IOs won't fit or potentiometers are defect, so it should be possible

to use the software faders.

I think that leaving them at 115 is OK for me.
**

If the card isn't defect it would be kind if the coders of envy24control

will take a look if there are any special specifications with the

audiophile 2496 and maybe they are able to program a patch to get it

work. If the card isn't defect and there will be no way to solve the

problem this card must be set on a black list for hardware with Linux.

This card is reported to work well under Linux.
*

"Accidents happens", sometimes a Linux on my computer sounds like if

there is covering a towel the speakers and the reason for this seems to

be metaphysical , to solve this I never tried holy water but I suggest

to reinstall 64studio or to try another version or to make a test with

JAD or Ubuntu Studio.
I've tried with other OS's (all Linux), to no avail

Thank you very much.

Pablo