-   -   Repositories (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/77773-repositories.html)

tim hall 04-28-2008 12:13 PM

Repositories

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> since yesterday
>
> "An error occured
>
> The following details are provided:
>
> W: GPG error: http://apt.64studio.com etch-backports Release: The
> following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
> available: NO_PUBKEY D5A5E18E1A1F574E"
>
> By the way, are there any repositories that are highly recommended or
> that shouldn't be used? There are some applications I'm missing in the
> default repositories, e.g. Cinelerra and TorK but I don't want to risk
> that 64 Studio becomes unstable.

Really you shouldn't keep the backports repo enabled for general
upgrades. This is true for most 'other' repositories, especially those
that throw up a GPG error. It's best to upgrade only against the
official sources of *one* distribution otherwise you are asking for
various degrees of trouble.

It's one of those things you can get away with if you really know what
you're doing and understand the apt system inside out, but generally:
don't. Install Cinelerra and TorK in a separate action and then comment
out the backports repo again.

cheers,

tim

Quentin Harley 04-28-2008 01:01 PM

Repositories

tim hall wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> By the way, are there any repositories that are highly recommended or
>> that shouldn't be used? There are some applications I'm missing in the
>> default repositories, e.g. Cinelerra and TorK but I don't want to risk
>> that 64 Studio becomes unstable.
>>
> Install Cinelerra and TorK in a separate action and then comment
> out the backports repo again.

Cinelerra is not in the backports repository at the moment. I made it
available again on my own repository temporarily (but only for AMD64).

Check out the install howto.

http://www.64studio.com/howto_cinelerra

Quentin

Ralf Mardorf 04-28-2008 08:54 PM

Repositories

Thank you :)

until now I made upgrades with the backport repository enabled and
everything is fine but after your advice I won't do this any more.

TorK isn't in the "default repositories". Is somebody using TorK with
64studio 2.1rc1 64bit? I'm thinking about using 64studio for all my
needs and gimmickries, maybe this isn't smart and it will be better if I
have one Linux as a stable digital audio and video workstation and
another for all the rest.

Is it ok to enable the "deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main"
repository all the time? Until now it even isn't included to Synaptic.

Because I know a little bit about Smart and RPM for Suse and nothing
about apt and dpkg I try to make everything with Synaptic. I think the
history may help if something will go wrong.

Off-topic: I was a little bit harsh with a vendor I got a PCI card from
because he want me to update the BIOS to get the card work with Linux.
As far as I know Linux just use unimportant ACPI routes like power off
and I can turn acpi=off and then I've to turn power off manually, so in
fact the BIOS is irrelevant for Linux. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Even if I'm wrong I asked my self if a vendor can sell hardware for
Linux and expect of consumers to get a FreeDOS, make it bootable and
check out a BIOS update without a howto from the vendor while he is
advertising his hardware with plug'n'play or with drivers ex Linux
kernels 2.4 and no further information. Am I excessively critical? For
me it's the same with the PCI slots. My mobo only has 2 PCI slots and
vendors want me to put their card in especially one of the 2 slots, so
in fact I have 1 PCI slot and a second PCI slot without function.

Cheers,
Ralf

tim hall 04-29-2008 05:47 AM

Repositories

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Thank you :)
>
> until now I made upgrades with the backport repository enabled and
> everything is fine but after your advice I won't do this any more.

:-)

> TorK isn't in the "default repositories". Is somebody using TorK with
> 64studio 2.1rc1 64bit? I'm thinking about using 64studio for all my
> needs and gimmickries, maybe this isn't smart and it will be better if I
> have one Linux as a stable digital audio and video workstation and
> another for all the rest.
>
> Is it ok to enable the "deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main"
> repository all the time? Until now it even isn't included to Synaptic.

I have not had any problems doing so; just remember that it's not the
recommended procedure. if you do run into problems you can always
disable it.

> Because I know a little bit about Smart and RPM for Suse and nothing
> about apt and dpkg I try to make everything with Synaptic. I think the
> history may help if something will go wrong.

Synaptic is a great interface for APT, it's a wise move. There are some
situations you can't resolve with it, but they are few and far between.

cheers,

tim

Ralf Mardorf 04-30-2008 10:50 AM

Repositories

> Synaptic is a great interface for APT, it's a wise move. There are
> some situations you can't resolve with it, but they are few and far
> between.

Sometimes I'm missing my well known Suse's Smart terminal commands but
at the moment Synaptic seems to be the easiest way for me to use Debian.
If something will go terrible wrong I'll restore 64 Studio by a
backup.tar. Until now I'm not sure if a Linux is able to make a complete
backup of itself that's why I'm doing it with another Linux.

Cheers,
Ralf

"pw.marcus" 05-01-2008 09:18 AM

Repositories

Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
>> Synaptic is a great interface for APT, it's a wise move. There are
>> some situations you can't resolve with it, but they are few and far
>> between.
>>

> Sometimes I'm missing my well known Suse's Smart terminal commands but
> at the moment Synaptic seems to be the easiest way for me to use Debian.
> If something will go terrible wrong I'll restore 64 Studio by a
> backup.tar. Until now I'm not sure if a Linux is able to make a complete
> backup of itself that's why I'm doing it with another Linux.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Yes it is, with "mondorescue"

Cheers

Tomas Nykung 05-09-2008 09:32 AM

Repositories

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:54:22PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
<snip>
> Even if I'm wrong I asked my self if a vendor can sell hardware for
> Linux and expect of consumers to get a FreeDOS, make it bootable and
> check out a BIOS update
<snip>

This has nothing to do with 64Studio, but maybe it will be useful for
some 64Studio user anyway...

Most (all?) newer systems are nowadays able to update the BIOS directly
from the BIOS setup itself.

Just download the BIOS upgrade, copy it to an USB memory, reboot and go
into the BIOS setup, and choose the option to upgrade the BIOS. It should
offer you the choice of upgrading from the USB memory (USB-stick or
CF-card or whatever). (At least I _think_ that I once upgraded from an
CF-card on a system that had an integrated card reader, but my memory
maybe fails me on this one).

I've done this several times on several systems, no need for a boot disk
or CD anymore. This makes newer systems much more Linux friendly also :)

Just FYI...

Tomas

Ralf Mardorf 05-10-2008 07:27 AM

Repositories

Tomas Nykung wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:54:22PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Even if I'm wrong I asked my self if a vendor can sell hardware for
>> Linux and expect of consumers to get a FreeDOS, make it bootable and
>> check out a BIOS update
>>
> <snip>
>

> This has nothing to do with 64Studio, but maybe it will be useful for
> some 64Studio user anyway...
>
> Most (all?) newer systems are nowadays able to update the BIOS directly
> from the BIOS setup itself.

I couldn't find this for my BIOS:

BIOS Info: #0
Vendor: "Phoenix Technologies, LTD"
Version: "ASUS M2A-VM HDMI ACPI BIOS Revision 1501"