Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 PM
"Pablo Fernandez"

Default Problems with Envy24control and m-audio audiophile 2496

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Pablo Fernandez <pablo.fbus@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi!
I've got a m-audio audiophile 2496. The performance is great. The latency reported by Jack is below 3 ms. The sound is great. All seems just OK but for one thing: The analog volume tab in Envy24ctrl behaves chaotically. I have discovered it just a few days ago when I was trying to lower the input volume of capture 2 (ADC 1 in Envycontrol) leaving alone the outputs, DAC0 and DAC1.* I can't tweak the levels independently. What's more, there is not a repetitive pattern of behaviour. Even when I'm only listening to music, if I move either ADC the output volume changes (!). Or I move either ACD and, at times, nothing changes, but at other times it does.

It's the same behaviour if jack is running or if it's not.
I don't know if it's a hardware issue or something about alsa-firmware or alsa-tools. My PC is Linux-only so I can't try it with Windows.

I am running 64studio 2.1 rc1 (pre14). (Edit: 32 bit version)
Oh, I have a dual boot with Debian Lenny, I'll try it there but only for playback. I've got a musix live CD too.
I'll tell you
Thanx in advance for any thoughts

Pablo

Sorry for the double post. I have been trying things. I've opened alsa mixer and envy24control at the same time. Regardless of which of the mixers I use, the changes in the analog volumes are reflected in the other, but still the same chaotic behaviour with the real levels that I listen to in my speakers.

I've also tried with Debian Lenny. The kernel is 2.6.22-3 amd64. It doesn't make a difference. I'm thinking my audio card is broken but I'm not sure.
Regards
Pablo

Old 04-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Pablo Fernandez wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Pablo Fernandez
> <pablo.fbus@gmail.com <mailtoablo.fbus@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi!
> I've got a m-audio audiophile 2496. The performance is great. The
> latency reported by Jack is below 3 ms. The sound is great. All
> seems just OK but for one thing: The analog volume tab in
> Envy24ctrl behaves chaotically. I have discovered it just a few
> days ago when I was trying to lower the input volume of capture 2
> (ADC 1 in Envycontrol) leaving alone the outputs, DAC0 and DAC1.
> I can't tweak the levels independently. What's more, there is not
> a repetitive pattern of behaviour. Even when I'm only listening to
> music, if I move either ADC the output volume changes (!). Or I
> move either ACD and, at times, nothing changes, but at other times
> it does.
> It's the same behaviour if jack is running or if it's not.
> I don't know if it's a hardware issue or something about
> alsa-firmware or alsa-tools. My PC is Linux-only so I can't try it
> with Windows.
> I am running 64studio 2.1 rc1 (pre14). (Edit: 32 bit version)
> Oh, I have a dual boot with Debian Lenny, I'll try it there but
> only for playback. I've got a musix live CD too.
> I'll tell you
> Thanx in advance for any thoughts
> Pablo
>

> Sorry for the double post. I have been trying things. I've opened alsa
> mixer and envy24control at the same time. Regardless of which of the
> mixers I use, the changes in the analog volumes are reflected in the
> other, but still the same chaotic behaviour with the real levels that
> I listen to in my speakers.
> I've also tried with Debian Lenny. The kernel is 2.6.22-3 amd64. It
> doesn't make a difference. I'm thinking my audio card is broken but
> I'm not sure.
> Regards
> Pablo

I'm using a TerrTec EWX 24/96. I'm sorry but I can't make tests at the
moment but I can say that Envy24Control works fine for analog outs and
that I had trouble in the past with the ALSA mixer. I never use the ALSA
mixer. Resume: In the past Envy24Control was fine with analog in and
outputs but I never run ALSA mixer because strange things happened when
I used it. For 2.6.21-1-multimedia-amd64 I can say that analog out is
fine, I don't know if analog in is it too. The used TerraTec has only 2
channels.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 04-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Daniel James

Hi Pablo,

Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I can say that Envy24Control works fine for analog outs and
> that I had trouble in the past with the ALSA mixer. I never use the ALSA
> mixer.

I agree with Ralf, if you have an envy24 card then you should probably
not use alsamixer. My suggestion would be to leave the analogue faders
in envy24control close to maximum, and adjust your input or output
levels on your external equipment.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > I can say that Envy24Control works fine for analog outs and
>> that I had trouble in the past with the ALSA mixer. I never use the ALSA
>> mixer.
>
> I agree with Ralf, if you have an envy24 card then you should probably
> not use alsamixer. My suggestion would be to leave the analogue faders
> in envy24control close to maximum, and adjust your input or output
> levels on your external equipment.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Hi Pablo

I used Google to get information about your card and there seems to be
no substantial difference to my TerraTec a simple 2 channel card too.

If your computer is manly a DAW or there is no need to use the "good"
PCI slot for another card then change the used slot. I have problems
with a non-music PCI card and the vendor asked me to change the PCI
slot, maybe I will try this but for me the main thing is that I can use
my computer to make music. Some PCI slots won't work with some cards.

I agree with Daniel to leave the faders close to maximum but some people
may have equipment that won't be fine with this because the impedance of
the IOs won't fit or potentiometers are defect, so it should be possible
to use the software faders.

If the card isn't defect it would be kind if the coders of envy24control
will take a look if there are any special specifications with the
audiophile 2496 and maybe they are able to program a patch to get it
work. If the card isn't defect and there will be no way to solve the
problem this card must be set on a black list for hardware with Linux.

"Accidents happens", sometimes a Linux on my computer sounds like if
there is covering a towel the speakers and the reason for this seems to
be metaphysical , to solve this I never tried holy water but I suggest
to reinstall 64studio or to try another version or to make a test with
JAD or Ubuntu Studio.

64studio 2.0 32bit wasn't fine with my old ASRock mobo, 64studio 2.1rc1
32bit is fine with my old ASRock mobo and it seems to be fine with my
new ASUS mobo, also 64studio 2.1rc1 64bit seems to be fine. I still have
to solve some problems like a inconsistency of CHS and LBA my Suse Linux
won't run with but 64studio 2.1rc1 32bit and 64bit seems to work stable
except for the use of DVDRAM until now.

I can change the output levels without problems. My Envy24 based card is:

64studio:/home/spinymouse# hwinfo --sound
22: [...]

30: [...]

33: PCI 306.0: 0401 Multimedia audio controller
[Created at pci.281]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1412_1712
Unique ID: Kaa7.J4wu6rKmng4
Parent ID: qscc.ULOo3yhA66C
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.4/0000:03:06.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:03:06.0
Hardware Class: sound
Model: "TERRATEC EWX 24/96"
Vendor: pci 0x1412 "VIA Technologies Inc."
Device: pci 0x1712 "ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller"
SubVendor: pci 0x153b "TERRATEC Electronic GmbH"
SubDevice: pci 0x1130 "EWX 24/96"
Revision: 0x02
Driver: "ICE1712"
Driver Modules: "snd_ice1712"
I/O Ports: 0xa400-0xa41f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xa000-0xa00f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0x9c00-0x9c0f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0x9800-0x983f (rw)
IRQ: 21 (no events)
Module Alias: "pci:v00001412d00001712sv0000153Bsd00001130bc04sc0 1i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: snd_ice1712 is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_ice1712"
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #24 (PCI bridge)

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 04-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Ralf Mardorf

If you are using a mixing console without subgroups and envy24control
will be fine with leaving the faders at maximum use aux to a monitor
channel for monitoring while recording or a separate amp if you have no
aux channels. There has to be a way to solve your problem.