Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 PM
nescivi

Default Problem detecting network card with a fresh install

Hiho,

I am having trouble detecting the network card in our brand new Lenovo AMD64
Athlon X2 computer for the lab.

The device's output with lspci states that it is a:
Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 436b (rev 16)

It seems I have to compile a module from their website for this, for which I
will need the kernel sources and all the build packages...
But of course, since I cannot connect to the internet, it's a bit complicated
to get all the needed stuff there...

Any recommendations on how to proceed the easiest way?

sincerely,
Marije

Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Gustin Johnson

I usually keep a USB NIC on hand for just this sort of thing. The
driver for your particular NIC is upstream and so it will be included in
future releases. For now though you need to find a way to connect this
machine to the internet. You could download the packages you need on
another machine (the .deb files) and then copy them to a USB key or burn
a CD/DVD.

I am not sure if 64studio has a nifty interface like debian and ubuntu
(http://packages.ubuntu.com http://packages.debian.org), but you can
grab the deb files with a browser. The kernel headers which you will
need are here:

http://packages.64studio.com/64studio/testing/pool/main/l/linux-kernel-headers/linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-7_amd64.deb
or
http://packages.64studio.com/64studio/testing/pool/main/l/linux-kernel-headers/linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-7_i386.deb
for the 32 bit kernel.

You will also need build-essential and kernel-package which you can get
from packages.debian.org, just make sure to grab the version from etch
that matches your CPU (eg. AMD64 or i386).

Hope this helps,

Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 AM
nescivi

Hi,

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 20:10:08 Gustin Johnson wrote:
> I usually keep a USB NIC on hand for just this sort of thing. The
> driver for your particular NIC is upstream and so it will be included in
> future releases. For now though you need to find a way to connect this
> machine to the internet. You could download the packages you need on
> another machine (the .deb files) and then copy them to a USB key or burn
> a CD/DVD.
>
> I am not sure if 64studio has a nifty interface like debian and ubuntu
> (http://packages.ubuntu.com http://packages.debian.org), but you can
> grab the deb files with a browser. The kernel headers which you will
> need are here:
>
> http://packages.64studio.com/64studio/testing/pool/main/l/linux-kernel-head
>ers/linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-7_amd64.deb or
> http://packages.64studio.com/64studio/testing/pool/main/l/linux-kernel-head
>ers/linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-7_i386.deb for the 32 bit kernel.

Actually the headers that match the kernel are slightly newer (2.6.21), but
thanks for the links anyways...

> You will also need build-essential and kernel-package which you can get
> from packages.debian.org, just make sure to grab the version from etch
> that matches your CPU (eg. AMD64 or i386).

build-essential is exactly a problem, since it needs all these other packages,
which have other dependencies...
My laptop is way further up-to-date (running Debian unstable), so it is kind
of hard to download the packages by hand, since it's way too much work.

Any hints on how to just download the dependencies of these packages using
some apt-based interface, without confusing my existing setup here?

Sincerely,
Marije

Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Gustin Johnson

Seriously, nothing beats using a USB ethernet dongle for simplicity and
ease. From there you can apt-get/aptitude etc from the affected machine.

You may also be able to boot the machine with systemrescuecd or knoppix,
which tend to have even more recent kernels which should support your
NIC. You could then mount, chroot and apt-get from there.