Old 03-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Frank Smith

Default abandonware 64studio?

Hi All
When trying to install Ardour 3 the installation fails because of out of date files ( Lib C and others seem very old)

If I run apt update there doesn't seem to be any newer files available, so basically making studio64 unusable.
Can I get confirmation that this software is no longer being maintained or upgraded.

If so I can start researching a newer distro.
I've done some amazing stuff with this distro and its a shame to see all the hard work put out to grass, but i realise this does happen.

I do understand how much work it takes to maintain and also that the main developers need to move on.

Is there a consensus amongst us of the best* audio distro available at the moment.
I see AV linux 6 ( which I believe is the last* version from the developer)
and Dreamstudio.
Any of you had experience of these?

Best wishes

Bob

Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 15:51 +0000, Frank Smith wrote:

> I see AV linux 6 ( which I believe is the last version from the
> developer)

Hi Bob,

AVlinux 5.0.3 IMO isn't good. It e.g. does use compiz by default and IMO
it's time to provide 64-bit architecture too. I don't know if 6 is ok.

I experience Ubuntu Studio Precise as ok, but Quantal as a PITA.

At the moment I set up a new Arch Linux.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Daniel James

Hi Bob,

> If I run apt update there doesn't seem to be any newer files available

Are you running the Debian Etch based 2.x series of 64 Studio?

> Can I get confirmation that this software is no longer being maintained
> or upgraded.

Debian stopped providing security updates for Etch in 2010, so I would
recommend moving on to Debian squeeze, if not wheezy (current testing).

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2013-03-15 at 16:59 +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> > If I run apt update there doesn't seem to be any newer files available
>
> Are you running the Debian Etch based 2.x series of 64 Studio?
>
> > Can I get confirmation that this software is no longer being maintained
> > or upgraded.
>
> Debian stopped providing security updates for Etch in 2010, so I would
> recommend moving on to Debian squeeze, if not wheezy (current testing).

Wheezy! It's already frozen. Stay away from GNOME 3, e.g. use Xfce
instead. Installing squeeze is nonsense, I guess it's using GNOME 2, IOW
it has less to do with a current Linux, so it might be hard to compile
software, if needed.

I prefer Arch Linux and the Ubuntu _LTS_ (with Xfce, not Unity) at the
moment, however you perhaps should test Ubuntu Studio Quantal too.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Daniel James

Hi Ralf,

> Installing squeeze is nonsense

In it's favour, squeeze can use the OpenDAW kernel package and it's very
stable here.

> it has less to do with a current Linux, so it might be hard to compile
> software, if needed.

We haven't found that to be a problem here. We are running into a few
age-related problems with Ubuntu Lucid LTS, which is still supported by
Canonical on servers until 2015.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Folderol

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:23:23 +0000
Daniel James <daniel@64studio.com> wrote:

> Hi Ralf,
>
> > Installing squeeze is nonsense
>
> In it's favour, squeeze can use the OpenDAW kernel package and it's very
> stable here.
>
> > it has less to do with a current Linux, so it might be hard to compile
> > software, if needed.
>
> We haven't found that to be a problem here. We are running into a few
> age-related problems with Ubuntu Lucid LTS, which is still supported by
> Canonical on servers until 2015.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Wheezy has a problem with kernel choice. If you were early enough it came with
3.1 which seems to be fine here, but later versions only came with 3.2 and that
performs really badly on my machine - I have no idea why. If you get a current
net install disk you can't go back to 3.1 it seems

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Frank Smith

>We haven't found that to be a problem here. We are running into a few

>age-related problems with Ubuntu Lucid LTS, which is still supported by

>Canonical on servers until 2015.

So How do I update to a newer 64 studio? and have you changed the name?
cheers
Bob

Hi Ralf,

Old 03-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2013-03-15 at 20:17 +0000, Folderol wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:23:23 +0000
> Daniel James <daniel@64studio.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ralf,
> >
> > > Installing squeeze is nonsense
> >
> > In it's favour, squeeze can use the OpenDAW kernel package and it's very
> > stable here.
> >
> > > it has less to do with a current Linux, so it might be hard to compile
> > > software, if needed.
> >
> > We haven't found that to be a problem here. We are running into a few
> > age-related problems with Ubuntu Lucid LTS, which is still supported by
> > Canonical on servers until 2015.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Daniel
>
> Wheezy has a problem with kernel choice. If you were early enough it came with
> 3.1 which seems to be fine here, but later versions only came with 3.2 and that
> performs really badly on my machine - I have no idea why. If you get a current
> net install disk you can't go back to 3.1 it seems

Perhaps there is a newer kernel provided by a backports repo, that is ok
on your machine, or there might be a kernel provided by multimedia. If
not, building a kernel for Debian is easy to do. I guess you know how to
do it, if not, I can tell you what to do. AFAIK multimedia does support
a kernel-rt, I won't google now, Robin or Daniel should know.

--
http://sacom.hk/mission

Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Daniel James

Hi Bob,

> How do I update to a newer 64 studio?

If you have 64 Studio 2.1 which was based on Debian I would suggest
updating against Squeeze or Wheezy sources.

If you have one of the 3.x releases which were based on Ubuntu I would
say update to current Ubuntu and install the Studio packages.

> have you changed the name?

Well, the OpenDAW name was meant to convey that as 64-bit is taken for
granted on the desktop these days, that the distro was focused on being
a DAW and was Free Software. Whether we do another OpenDAW .iso really
depends on customer demand. Right now we are only working on server-side
products.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 14:37 +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> > How do I update to a newer 64 studio?
>
> If you have 64 Studio 2.1 which was based on Debian I would suggest
> updating against Squeeze or Wheezy sources.
>
> If you have one of the 3.x releases which were based on Ubuntu I would
> say update to current Ubuntu and install the Studio packages.
>
> > have you changed the name?
>
> Well, the OpenDAW name was meant to convey that as 64-bit is taken for
> granted on the desktop these days, that the distro was focused on being
> a DAW and was Free Software. Whether we do another OpenDAW .iso really
> depends on customer demand. Right now we are only working on server-side
> products.

First backup your current install.

Note that there was a switch from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3.
gnome-settings-daemon has got a hard dependency to pulseaudio and likely
will disable audio output for multi-channel audio cards.
The GNOME 3 desktop environment is similar to the desktop environment of
tablet PCs, you'll lose the workflow you know from GNOME 2.

IOW, after an update you'll have to fix a lot of issues.

I recommend to switch from GNOME 3 to Xfce and to purge pulseaudio after
the upgrade.

If you're using an external drive following the EU regulation regarding
to energy saving, than remove gvfs, otherwise your drive will spin up
and down again and again. If you remove gvfs, you need to mount block
devices by CLI.

Note that if you upgrade Debian you'll stay with init, but if you
upgrade Ubuntu, then there will be a switch to upstart. IOW the startup
does change and might cause issues, if you customized the boot process.

It's very likely that an update from what ever version of 64 Studio will
cause more issues than making a new install.

Regards,
Ralf