Old 03-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default IDE vs SATA and will my 32bit Linux run with the new 64bit hardware

Hi

this perhaps will be the last question about hardware.

My favourite dealer don't has IDE to SATA adapters but he has got PCI
controllers.

1x extern eSATA I Spezifikation
1x intern SATA I Spezifikation
1x intern PATA IDE Spezifikation
eSATA / SATA up to 1.5 Gbps
PATA up to 133 Mbps
32-Bit PCI Standard 2.2
Supports HDs with more than 137 GB
Raid 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD, Plug & Play
For Linux >= Kernel 2.4

DELOCK 70156
<http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=4;GROUP=E71;GROUPID=3833;ARTICLE=768 95;START=0;SORT=preis;OFFSET=1000;SID=27Cdy7MKwQAR sAAFDAHpAfb9cf11c48b8c2067c91ef02952afd9a>
PCI SATA 1x eSATA, 1xSATA/IDE intern
<http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=4;GROUP=E71;GROUPID=3833;ARTICLE=768 95;START=0;SORT=preis;OFFSET=1000;SID=27Cdy7MKwQAR sAAFDAHpAfb9cf11c48b8c2067c91ef02952afd9a>
13.90 EUR

Doe's anybody know if this will work fine with DVDRAM or IDE HD and Linux?

I will connect one device to the ATA of the ASUS M2A-VM/HDMI and the
other device to this controller if it will be fine with Linux, so that I
don't have to split it in primary and secondary devices at one ATA
connection.

If it does I have all the hardware I need and can order now.

Will my old Linux, for example 64studio 2.1rc1 32bit run with my new
hardware or have I to download the 64bit version of 64studio and to
backup before I've got the new hardware? I think the 32bit versions will
run at the 64bit hardware.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 03-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Daniel James

Hi Ralf,

> I will connect one device to the ATA of the ASUS M2A-VM/HDMI and the
> other device to this controller if it will be fine with Linux, so that I
> don't have to split it in primary and secondary devices at one ATA
> connection.

I don't think it will be a problem to have the IDE hard disc on the
primary and the DVD drive on the secondary. I have my dual IDE hard disc
machines set up like that. You can upgrade to a faster SATA hard disc later.

> I think the 32bit versions will
> run at the 64bit hardware.

Yes, but the performance won't be quite as good because the binaries
won't be optimised. It'll be OK to test that the hardware works though.

My main concern about this board would be the integrated Radeon X1250
graphics. They should work with the basic Vesa driver, but I think you
may need a very recent version of X.org to get best performance. That
may not arrive until the Debian Lenny release and 64 Studio 3.0.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 03-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> Hi Ralf,
>
>> I will connect one device to the ATA of the ASUS M2A-VM/HDMI and the
>> other device to this controller if it will be fine with Linux, so
>> that I don't have to split it in primary and secondary devices at one
>> ATA connection.
>
> I don't think it will be a problem to have the IDE hard disc on the
> primary and the DVD drive on the secondary. I have my dual IDE hard
> disc machines set up like that. You can upgrade to a faster SATA hard
> disc later.

Hi Daniel

nice to read this, because the only thing I worry about is that I have 2
IDE devices. I called my dealer in the morning and he has got a adapter
IDE to SATA more expensive than the IDE to PCI controller I bought. The
seller thought that the adapter only has drivers for Windows while the
PCI controller should have a driver or drivers for all kernels >= 2.4.,
I think this is wrong. Maybe all non DOS Windows and Linux kernels >=
2.4. would manage the adapter and the controller by plug'n'play and the
drivers will be needed for DOS Windows like 98 se. Anyway, if the
controller works or not, I'm calmed down by knowing that there are no
speed problems while running the 2 IDE devices as primary and secondary
at one ATA port.

>> I think the 32bit versions will run at the 64bit hardware.
>
> Yes, but the performance won't be quite as good because the binaries
> won't be optimised. It'll be OK to test that the hardware works though.

That's what I will do and after that I will first delete my XP-MCE or
pro or what ever it is and install the amd64studio rc and if I'll be
fine with it I will delete most of my other Linux.

> My main concern about this board would be the integrated Radeon X1250
> graphics. They should work with the basic Vesa driver, but I think you
> may need a very recent version of X.org to get best performance. That
> may not arrive until the Debian Lenny release and 64 Studio 3.0.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

That's what I don't like with Linux, fortunately I'm interested in 2D
animation and not 3D. I don't play games, need no cubes as desktop or
rain in my windows. If I can set the vertical refresh rate some day I'll
be happy. The cost for everything is 203.74 EUR and my budget 'is'
150.00 EUR up to 170.00 EUR. I will be a month on bread and water but
the main thing is that I paid for my DSL and electricity bill .

I won't list all the things I bought, just the CPU, it's the Athlon X2
BE-2350 2,1GHz with a load of 45W. As I've written all the older energy
economized CPUs have a load of 65W and I will have 2GB RAM, the only
thing I have to buy in the near future will be a MIDInterface, because I
think the board has no gameport MIDI. It feels like the step from the
C64 to the Atari ST. By the way, my Atari has a 42MB HD, I'll repeat
this 42 *Mega* Byte, perhaps it will be 40MB or 41MB, I'm not sure.

Cheers,
Ralf