Old 03-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Hardware for a Linux DAW prefered running 64studio

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> I have no idea what this costs wherever you are, but in my neck of the
> woods you can get 2 GB of DDR2 + AMD 4200+ (dual core) + Asus M2N-VM for
> ~$199 CDN brand new. I am wary of older power supplies and so I tend to
> buy them new as well, but you may have better luck.

Thank you Gustin

okay my preferential dealer has got a Asus M2N-VM within my budget. Is
this board 64studio proved? Becaus their is a ASUS M2A-VM/HDMI also
within the buget and some other mobos too, see
http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=2;LA=2;GROUPID=2859;SID=159W1AwtS4AQ8AADn FR4Af8456911840811985f0e5e2598fea334

At the moment I think I'll have a solid mobo with any CPU and maybe just
1GB RAM, I can upgrade step by step if needed. Perhaps it should be a
socket AM2.

What are the problems you know with oldish power supplies? My power
supply is old but has been an expensive and good one. I'm not sure if
the voltage is controlled by the power supply or the mobo because I
guess that there may be differences in the voltage the CPUs need. If
there will be differences I will try to solder new voltage stabilizer,
as long as it isn't a switching power supply I'm familiar in doing this.
I'll take care of this.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 03-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Chris Whitehouse

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> I have no idea what this costs wherever you are, but in my neck of the
> woods you can get 2 GB of DDR2 + AMD 4200+ (dual core) + Asus M2N-VM for
> ~$199 CDN brand new. I am wary of older power supplies and so I tend to
> buy them new as well, but you may have better luck.

After a bit of googling for silent power supplies I bought a Seasonic
S12 330watt power supply and I am very pleased with it, it is virtually
silent and is high efficiency so it uses less power. It is definitely
worth the outlay for me.

Also I second someone elses post about AMD 3800+ EE CPU. Mine runs very
quiet. Search for ADD3800CUBOX specifically.

I measured the power draw of my machine while simultaneously zipping a
very large file, copying a large file and ripping music from a CD. I
think it reached about 95 watts.

Chris