Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Hardware for a Linux DAW prefered running 64studio

Hi

I'll upgrade my computer (hwinfo --cpu Model: 6.4.2 "AMD Athlon(tm)
Processor", Clock: 900 MHz, hwinfo --memory Memory Size: 1 GB + 256 MB).
Maybe you'll be so kind and write something about the CPUs and mobos in
the links.

Because Intel is to expensive I think I should buy AMD hardware. My
computer has to work for net, office, gimp, cinelerra, 2D animation with
KDE and it should be able to be a DAW running Rosegarden as MIDI
sequencer and HD recorder, Fluidsynth Plugs and many FX Plugs plus JAMin
with Ion. The hardware should be able to run with most Linux distros,
there is no need to be fine with any other OS. Maybe I'll change from
Rosegarden to Ardour3 because there are indications that the MIDI
sequencer perhaps will fit better to my needs.

I can spend something around 150,- EUR.

The new hardware has to fit to the old case and power supply what
perhaps shouldn't be a problem. I need AGP or a new gfxcard. I have no
problem with on-board cards if they will be fine with most Linux because
I don't need 3D support.

64studio:/home/spinymouse# hwinfo --gfxcard
PCI(AGP)
Model: "nVidia GeForce4 MX 440"
Revision: 0xa3

This gfxcard is fine with Suse but not with 64studio. 64studio is unable
to set the vertical refresh rate for my monitor, for Suse this never has
been a problem, so a new card will be better.

64studio:/home/spinymouse# hwinfo --sound
PCI
Model: "TERRATEC EWX 24/96"
Vendor: pci 0x1412 "VIA Technologies Inc."
Device: pci 0x1712 "ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller"

I have no choice, this sound card has to work with Linux and the rest of
the hardware. Without an rational explanation 64studio VERSION 2.1rc1
seems to be the only Linux where the quality of the sound is ok. I don't
need on-board sound but I would like to have MIDI for the gameport.

64studio:/home/spinymouse# hwinfo --cdrom
IDE
Model: "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B"
Revision: "A304"
Features: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVDRAM

64studio:/home/spinymouse# hwinfo --disk
IDE
Model: "Maxtor 6L080P0"
Revision: "BAJ41G20"

If I understand it right I need 1 ATA for 2 IDE devices, that will be ok
because I think I won't get repaired my second IDE HD, so I can use the
Maxtor 80GB as primary and the LG DVDRAM as secondary.

The latest socket standard seems to be AM2, so I will prefer this.

I just have taken a look at my dealer of confidence for semiconductors
and haven't made any comparisons until now.

Let's say the mobo should be around 50,- EUR, the CPU plus fan also and
for RAM there should be again something around 50,- EUR. What mobo and
CPU would you prefer, see this links (they are in German but I think in
this case it doesn't matter):

AMD CPUs

http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=2;LA=2;GROUPID=641;SID=32PnXRnKwQASAAAGdE lwo3e123f92e7e67474e1630a215ef3a46a

AM2 mobos