Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Optimized compiling for AMD Athlon Thunderbird

Hi

thank you for your tips. I read a little bit about optimized compiling
but until now I found no good links. At the moment I'm working with
64studio and your mails are not on-hand because I receive mails for now
only with Suse. As I remember there have been no links about this topic,
anyway I will reboot soon to read them again.

I can't find CFLAG or CXXFALG in the makefile of Ardour subversion
version. Ardour has to be compiled with scons but for example in the
makefile of Jack 0.109.2 there are:

CFLAGS = -I$(top_srcdir)/config -I$(top_srcdir) -I$(top_srcdir)
-D_REENTRANT -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -Wall -g -g -O2
-I/usr/include/nptl

CXXFLAGS = -g -O2

My CPU:

64studio:/home/spinymouse# hwinfo --cpu
01: None 00.0: 10103 CPU
[Created at cpu.305]
Unique ID: rdCR.j8NaKXDZtZ6
Hardware Class: cpu
Arch: Intel
Vendor: "AuthenticAMD"
Model: 6.4.2 "AMD Athlon(tm) Processor"
Features:
fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,p ge,mca,cmov,pat,pse36,mmx,fxsr,syscall,mmxext,3dno wext,3dnow,up
Clock: 900 MHz
BogoMips: 1798.10
Cache: 256 kb
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

Green I would change the flags to something like this:

CFLAGS = -I$(top_srcdir)/config -I$(top_srcdir) -I$(top_srcdir)
-D_REENTRANT -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -Wall -g -O6
-I/usr/include/nptl -march=athlon -mcpu=athlon -ffast-math

CXXFLAGS = -g -O6 -march=athlon -mcpu=athlon -ffast-math

I guess this is something between naive and total wrong and until now I
compiled Jack without 'optimization' but I will try to optimize it,
Fluidsynth Plug and some FX Plugs, LADSP/DSSI, LV2, JAMin, Rosegarden,
Cinelerra and a 2D animation application too, maybe Alsa, the kernel and
some other applications if there will be the need to do this also.

Does someone know some good English and German links about this?

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 03-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Daniel James

Hi Ralf,

> Vendor: "AuthenticAMD"
> Model: 6.4.2 "AMD Athlon(tm) Processor"
> Features:
> fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,p ge,mca,cmov,pat,pse36,mmx,fxsr,syscall,mmxext,3dno wext,3dnow,up
> Clock: 900 MHz

Unfortunately it seems that your CPU does not have SSE2 instructions,
which provide the most benefit for Ardour and JACK. See the table here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_Processors

My recommendation would be that you look out for a bundle of
CPU/motherboard/RAM that someone is selling due to upgrade, maybe an
earlier (socket 939) Athlon64.

Cheers!

Daniel