Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Installation of Ardour3

Hi

nearly everything seems to be fine but I don't know what's wrong with
the installation of Ardour3. It looks like 'scon install' won't install
but compile Ardour3 again, see the attached HOWnotTO. I also run 'scons'
without options followed by 'scons install' what seems to be the same.

Maybe I don't see the wood for the trees . Will be anybody be so kind
just to take a look at my HOWnotTO?

I also will try to compile Ardour3 with LV2 support because of my beef
about wasted resources by LADSPA/DSSI but not at the moment, I won't
complicate everything at this point.

I won't compile it with VST, I've done this one time and it takes to
long with my computer, in due time an Athlon 898MHz/256MB, today the
same Athlon 898MHz but with 1280MB RAM.

Just now I subscribed to ardour-users@lists.ardour.org
<mailto:ardour-users@lists.ardour.org> but first I will ask you for help
and I don't think questions for help should be posted more than once at
a moment, because doing this often results in ignoring the answers as it
is to see in many forums.

As to see I'm not the only one having problems to make a makefile for
his programming with Linux. The coders of Ardour are using scons because
of this and they look for an alternative. Don't get me wrong, I won't
initiate again an OS discussion but maybe someone out there knows a
comfortable automake.
I would adopt some of my programming for the C64, Atari ST and DR DOS
performing my needs (and maybe the needs of others) by programming them
new for Linux but I'm to stupid to make makefiles and at the moment also
to stupid to compile and install Ardour3 with scons.

Cheers,
Ralf
Hi

maybe someone from the list want's to know

HOWnotTO get, compile and install Ardour3 (unstable MIDI sequencer version) for 64studio 2.1rc1 (32bit)

Remove Ardour by Synaptic and delete the foulder in /home/user_home
Checkout needed packages (http://www.ardour.org/building) and RapidSVN by Synaptic, maybe Kate and Yakuake too

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/ardour.src$ rapidsvn

View > Preferences... > Programs

Standard editor: /usr/bin/kate
Program arguments: %1
[X] Use always
Standard file explorer: /usr/bin/nautilus
Program arguments: %1
[X] Use always
Diff tool: /usr/bin/diff
Program arguments: %2 %1

OK

Bookmarks > Add Existing Repository...

[ ] Ignore externals

OK

Ctrl+O for Checkout

Destination Directory: /home/spinymouse/Desktop/ardour.src
Revision: [X] Use latest
Peg Revision: [X] Not specified
[X] Add to bookmarks [X] Recursiv [ ] Ignore externals

OK

* Jack *

Ardour3 needs Jack >= 0.109.0, it's stable (maybe not with 64studio) and not in the repositories
Don't remove Jack by Synaptic

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src$ wget -v http://jackaudio.org/downloads/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2.tar.g
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src$ tar -xvf jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2.tar.gz
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src$ rm jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2.tar.gz
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src$ cd jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2$ ./configure
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2$ make

'make' will end with this messages:

| Build with ALSA support............................... : true
| Build with old FireWire (FreeBob) support............. : false
| Build with new FireWire (FFADO) support............... : false
| Build with OSS support................................ : true
| Build with CoreAudio support.......................... : false
| Build with PortAudio support.......................... : false
| Compiler optimization flags........................... : -DREENTRANT -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -funroll-loops -march=i686 -mmmx
| Compiler full flags................................... : -I$(top_srcdir)/config -I$(top_srcdir) -I$(top_srcdir) -D_REENTRANT -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -Wall -g -g -O2 -I/usr/include/nptl
| Install dir for libjack + backends.................... : ${exec_prefix}/lib/jack
|
| Default driver backend................................ : "alsa"
| Shared memory interface............................... : "System V"
| Install prefix........................................ : /usr/local

If you need FireWire support or something else you may have to google for it

I don't like the next step, with Suse I would run 'checkinstall' instaed of 'make install', because this would build an .rpm (the .deb of Suse), to run 'make install' will install the program without informing the package managment
Notice: To run 'make install' could turn 64studio into total mess, so that you may have to reinstall it

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2$ sudo make install

After this running 'qjackctl' seems to be fine and 'jackd -V' confirms the wanted version 'jackd version 0.109.2 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 22'

* Ardour *

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/ardour.src$ scons PREFIX=/usr

Messages:

scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for pkg-config version >= 0.8.0... yes
Checking for gthread-2.0... yes
Checking for lrdf... yes
Checking for libgnomecanvas-2.0... yes
Checking for gtk+-2.0... yes
Checking for jack... yes
Checking for samplerate... yes
Checking for glib-2.0... yes
Checking for libxml-2.0... yes
Checking for raptor... yes
Checking for fftw3f...yes
Checking for fftw3...yes
Checking for C header file fftw3.h... yes
Checking for "slv2 >= 0.6.0"...no
Building Ardour with LV2 support requires SLV2 >= 0.6.0
WARNING: SLV2 not found, or too old. Ardour will be built without LV2 support.
Until the 2.4 release, Ardour requires SLV2 out of SVN.
Testing would be very much appreciated! svn co http://svn.drobilla.net/lad/slv2
Congratulations, you have a functioning C++ compiler.
system triple: i686-pc-linux-gnu

*******************************
detected DIST_TARGET = i686
*******************************

Warning: you are building Ardour with SSE support even though your system does not support these instructions. (This may not be an error, especially if you are a package maintainer)
Checking for usb_interrupt_write() in C library usb... no
Checking for C header file linux/input.h... yes
Checking for FLAC__seekable_stream_decoder_init() in C++ library FLAC... no
Checking for C++ header file boost/shared_ptr.hpp... no
Boost header files do not appear to be installed.

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/ardour.src$ sudo scons install

Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi

I'm sorry if this mail, see below, now is posted multiple. I've got
problems with my provider Alice by ignoring RFCs. I just want to post it
once.

Even if you won't write something about Ardour, please let me know if my
message(s) came through the list(s).

Pardon
Ralf

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Old 03-24-2008, 06:30 AM
Gustin Johnson

Some instructions can be found here:
http://ardour.org/building

I would try some of the build options. First I would try "scons debug"
Then I would look at arch, gtk, and slv2 (specifically I would look at
disabling lv2 for now until you can get ardour to build).

If you are interested in making .deb files, then the following may be of
interest:
http://www.debian.org/devel/

You pretty much need to read the policy manual which is linked from the
url above. There is also some good info on packaging.

Sometimes I prefer the Ubuntu project's documentation. A very useful
site is their Masters of the Universe page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU

as well as the Ubuntu packaging guide:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide

and the pbuilder howto:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto

A lot of the documentation is geared towards having the .deb included in
the distro. Take what you need but it is all useful IMO

Hope this helps,

Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi

I'm a little bit stressed at the moment so I reduced my projects for now to

1. compiling Ardour3
2. reading informations about low-cost 64bit hardware

I'm not sure if it is clever trying to compile Ardour3 while being
stressed but I will go on with it. Again I stopped clueless, see points
* LV2 * and * Ardour * in the attachment. Maybe you now what's missing.

Cheers,
Ralf
Hi

I would like to thank all the kind people from 64studio users mailing list and Ardour users mailing list for their help with this and I have to add a note:

Nobody depending on Ardour should use Ardour3 at the moment, I do
understand this.
I'm snoopy about the MIDI sequencer and I don't need the HD
recording, the HD recording within Rosegarden last to my needs,
that's why I don't need Ardour to run stable but no free Linux MIDI
sequencer I have tested fits my needs, because I'm from the Atari
Cubase and I don't know any MIDI sequencer for Linux being on this
level. Don't get me wrong, for homerecording I can live with
Rosegarden.

I try to compile Ardour for the 32bit version of 64studio 2.1rc1.

After Ardour has been removed by Synaptic and the folder in /home/user_home has been deleted I thought I checked out the needed packages, see http://www.ardour.org/building, plus RapidSVN, Kate, autoconf2.13, automake, libboost-dev and libboost-phyton-dev.

I don't set flags to optimze the applications for my machine.

Until now I've done this:

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/ardour.src$ rapidsvn

View > Preferences... > Programs

Standard editor: /usr/bin/kate
Program arguments: %1
[X] Use always
Standard file explorer: /usr/bin/nautilus
Program arguments: %1
[X] Use always
Diff tool: /usr/bin/diff
Program arguments: %2 %1

OK

Bookmarks > Add Existing Repository...

[ ] Ignore externals

OK

Right mouse button at the bookmark for checkout, resp. Ctrl+O

Destination Directory: /home/spinymouse/Desktop/ardour.src
Revision: [X] Use latest
Peg Revision: [X] Not specified
[X] Add to bookmarks [X] Recursiv [ ] Ignore externals

OK

I bookmarked and checked out http://svn.drobilla.net/lad/slv2 to ~/Desktop/slv2.src.
Then I checked out the latest developer versions by right click on my copies in the RapidSVN bookmarks browser window doing 'Update...'.

For compiling I have been in the directories of the sources.

* Jack *

Ardour3 needs Jack >= 0.109.0, it's stable (maybe not with 64studio) and not in the repositories, I diden't remove Jack by Synaptic.

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src$ wget -v http://jackaudio.org/downloads/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2.tar.g
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src$ tar -xvf jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2.tar.gz
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src$ rm jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2.tar.gz
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src$ cd jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2$ ./configure
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2$ make

'make' ended with this messages:

| Build with ALSA support............................... : true
| Build with old FireWire (FreeBob) support............. : false
| Build with new FireWire (FFADO) support............... : false
| Build with OSS support................................ : true
| Build with CoreAudio support.......................... : false
| Build with PortAudio support.......................... : false
| Compiler optimization flags........................... : -DREENTRANT -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -funroll-loops -march=i686 -mmmx
| Compiler full flags................................... : -I$(top_srcdir)/config -I$(top_srcdir) -I$(top_srcdir) -D_REENTRANT -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -Wall -g -g -O2 -I/usr/include/nptl
| Install dir for libjack + backends.................... : ${exec_prefix}/lib/jack
|
| Default driver backend................................ : "alsa"
| Shared memory interface............................... : "System V"
| Install prefix........................................ : /usr/local

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/jack.src/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2$ sudo make install

After this running 'qjackctl' seems to be fine and 'jackd -V' confirms the wanted version 'jackd version 0.109.2 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 22'

* LV2 *

Maybe SLV2 has to be compiled and installed by ./autogen.sh, ./configure, make and install but until now I couldn't do this.
At the moment I have less time and some of the packages to be installed may be wrong, resp. missing, so I'll get this messages:

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/slv2.src$ ./autogen.sh
Generating necessary files...
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.
Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `config'.
aclocal: configure.ac:5: file `m4/ac_python_devel.m4' does not exist
/usr/bin/m4:configure.ac:5: cannot open `m4/ac_python_devel.m4': No such file or directory
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
autoheader2.50: '/usr/bin/autom4te' failed with exit status: 1
/usr/bin/m4:configure.ac:5: cannot open `m4/ac_python_devel.m4': No such file or directory
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
automake: autoconf failed with exit status: 1
/usr/bin/m4:configure.ac:5: cannot open `m4/ac_python_devel.m4': No such file or directory
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/slv2.src$

Instead of wasting the less time I've got for compiling I disabled LV2.

* Ardour *

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/ardour.src$ scons LV2=0 PREFIX=/usr

[...]

libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/window.cc: In member function ‚??void Gdk::Window::set_composited(bool)‚??:
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/window.cc:385: error: ‚??gdk_window_set_composited‚?? was not declared in this scope
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/window.cc: In member function ‚??void Gdk::Window::set_startup_id(const Glib::ustring&)‚??:
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/window.cc:486: error: ‚??gdk_window_set_startup_id‚?? was not declared in this scope
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/window.cc: In member function ‚??void Gdk::Window::beep()‚??:
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/window.cc:652: error: ‚??gdk_window_beep‚?? was not declared in this scope
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/window.cc: In member function ‚??void Gdk::Window::set_opacity(double)‚??:
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/window.cc:817: error: ‚??gdk_window_set_opacity‚?? was not declared in this scope
scons: *** [libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/window.os] Error 1

After something around half an hour I got this error so I installed libgtkmm2.0-1c2a (2.2.12-2) and libgtkmm2.0-dev (2.2.12-2) by synaptic this are the packages I (also) have forgotten, resp. mybe I guess wrong but I installed them:

libgtkextramm0.9-12c2 (0.9.2-9.1), libgtkextramm-dev (0.9.2-9.1), libcairomm-1.0-dev (1.4.2-1~bpo.1), libglibmm-2.4-dev (2.12.9-0.1~bpo.1), libgtkmm-2.4-dev (1:2.10.10-0.2~bpo.1), libsigc++-2.0-dev (2.0.17-2), python-dev (2.4.4-2), python-gtk2-dev (2.8.6-8), gdk-imlib11-dev (1.9.14-31), libgdk-pixbuf-dev (0.22.0-11)

Nothing did change, I'm far away from 'sudo scons install' .

Cheers,
Ralf