Old 03-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Building and installing Ardour with support of MIDI tracks

Susan Dridi wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> I'm just curious, instead of trying to build all this stuff yourself,
> have you tried just installing 64 Studio and see how you like what
> they've already packaged? Then if there are things you'd like that it
> doesn't have, that would be helpful. If you are using versions of
> software that nobody else here is using, it's hard for anyone to help.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Take care,
>
> -Susan

Hi Susan

I agree to your thought. Normally I would use 64studio 2.0 or JAD 1.0,
in other words a stable audio distro without uncommon modifications but
64studio 2.0 and JAD 1.0 won't work on my computer. 64studio 2.1rc1
(32bit) removes two problems. JACK can connect to MPU and the sound is
ok, until now all Linux on my computer sounds muffled.

I try to find a way to set the vertical refresh rate, because it seems
to be impossible by the normal way with my hardware and I only have to
compile two programs myself.

CINELERRA because it has been mentioned in the list that only the
version from the backport would be fine and at the moment cinelerre
isn't in the backport.

ARDOUR because I'm not satisfied with any free sequencer for Linux until
now and there is a version of ARDOUR containing a sequencer in the
subversion directories that maybe is near to my needs, for example it
may be possible to mute segments. The source code managed by subversion
is still in progress, it's not that I'm safe with this, I would favour a
sequencer from the repositories for the very reason that it takes a long
time on my computer to make ardour by scons.

By the way, ardour.org is back, the site was off for hours.

Cheers,
Ralf