Old 03-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Building and installing Ardour with support of MIDI tracks

Hi

sorry I'm brash because I'm thinking about changing from Suse to Debian
in general and not only for music and I understand if I have to ask
these thinks in another forum, resp. I maybe should google more for
this. My trick now will be to mix my questions about Debian with a
64studio topic .

Is http://www.ardour.org/ temporarily unavailable from everywhere? Now I
can ping the site but the browser get this error: error id: "bad_httpd_conf"

The principle to handle sources for packages with Debian are different
to that of Suse.
Is it possible to install a package from HD, maybe by running something
like 'dpkg -i name_of.deb --recursive ~/Desktop' or have priorities for
apt-get be edited or something completely different?

If I will build something that ends with 'make install' is there the
alternative to build a package instead? Instead of 'make install' I can
use 'checkinstall' in most cases for Suse, 'checkinstall' will build an
.rpm, the .deb for Suse.

I don't think that there will be the needed backport of cinelerra in the
net but please write me the version I need with 64studio. I'm asking
because I think I will be a lot in the net at Easter, I don't need
cinelerra the next weeks, don't get me wrong, there's no hurry to get it
for me.

Is there an application comparable to SaX2 for Debian? SaX2 is an
application to set more parameters dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg can
edit and maybe this will be a way to get the vertical refresh rate set
to a higher value with my hardware for 64studio/Etch.

A note to the OS discussion: I wrote that I'm from Atari and not from
Windows but I have to add since Suse 9.0, years ago, I'm from Linux .

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 03-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Susan Dridi

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi
>
> sorry I'm brash because I'm thinking about changing from Suse to Debian
> in general and not only for music and I understand if I have to ask
> these thinks in another forum, resp. I maybe should google more for
> this. My trick now will be to mix my questions about Debian with a
> 64studio topic .
>
> Is http://www.ardour.org/ temporarily unavailable from everywhere? Now I
> can ping the site but the browser get this error: error id: "bad_httpd_conf"

<snip>

Hi Ralf,

I'm just curious, instead of trying to build all this stuff yourself,
have you tried just installing 64 Studio and see how you like what
they've already packaged? Then if there are things you'd like that it
doesn't have, that would be helpful. If you are using versions of
software that nobody else here is using, it's hard for anyone to help.

Just a thought.

Take care,

-Susan