Old 03-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Folderol

Default 2.1rc1 64bit

Just had a look at this to see what's changed.

I still have problems with the installation getting the video screwed
up. It correctly identifies both my monitor and graphics chipset (Asus,
nVidia) although it adds a couple of strange modes. However the nv
driver only allows 640x480 resolution. Changing this to vesa in
xorg.conf gives me up to 1280x1024. The monitor can do more but the
chipset might not be able to - 6xxx series

In order to install the latest version of ROX desktop (not just the
filer) I have to install several -dev files including libglade2-dev.
However this has dependency problems (it doesn't on v 2.0) so I called
a halt at this point.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Old 03-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Susan Dridi

Folderol wrote:
> Just had a look at this to see what's changed.
>
> I still have problems with the installation getting the video screwed
> up. It correctly identifies both my monitor and graphics chipset (Asus,
> nVidia) although it adds a couple of strange modes. However the nv
> driver only allows 640x480 resolution. Changing this to vesa in
> xorg.conf gives me up to 1280x1024. The monitor can do more but the
> chipset might not be able to - 6xxx series

One thing I've always done when installing (I've used this with Debian
and now with 64 Studio) is to use a boot parameter with the install command:

vga=795

I do this because I have an LCD monitor that only wants a 1280x1024
resolution, and this does the trick for me. It also keeps my monitor
from flashing these little warning boxes every few minutes when in
console mode instead of X.

I found a list of other resolutions here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Framebuffer_Support

I really don't know what this does, but it has worked for me for years.
I also have an nVidia video card, but I had a different card in my old
machine.

Take care,

-Susan

Old 03-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Daniel James

Hi Will,

> I still have problems with the installation getting the video screwed
> up. It correctly identifies both my monitor and graphics chipset (Asus,
> nVidia) although it adds a couple of strange modes. However the nv
> driver only allows 640x480 resolution. Changing this to vesa in
> xorg.conf gives me up to 1280x1024. The monitor can do more but the
> chipset might not be able to - 6xxx series

A newer version of X.org in 64 Studio 3.0 should help with that. It
would also offer side benefits, like better support for external VGA
output on laptops.

> In order to install the latest version of ROX desktop (not just the
> filer) I have to install several -dev files including libglade2-dev.
> However this has dependency problems (it doesn't on v 2.0) so I called
> a halt at this point.

That's because some library versions in 2.1rc1 are newer than 2.0 or
Etch (either to fix bugs or support newer versions of apps). You need to
get the matching dev libraries from our backports source. I'm all for
including these dev packages in the main distro, albeit not installed by
default; as we're on DVD now, we can afford the space in the ISO.

Cheers!

Daniel