Old 03-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Ardour with MIDI Tracks, Totem and mp3

Hi

as I have written I don't know Ardour, a long time ago I compiled Ardour
with VST for Suse but I never used it. Compiling Ardour doe's take a
long time on my computer but it works. So after your informations about
MIDI support and after I take a look at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24012642@N02/ I'm interested to compile
such a version for my 64studio ignoring if it will work or not at the
moment. I just want to take a look but I can't find the sources.

While Totem played http://ardour.org/node/1482 from HD I run Iceweasel
with 2 opened tabs (Add-ons: CustomizeGoogle, GB and DE dictionaries),
Icedove and 'Icedove Compose', GNOME Terminal running top and I run
QJackCtl, the WM has been GNOME.

Any time I moved the mouse or such less action Totem break playing. CPU
and RAM have been ok. Totem sometimes crashed and I had to kill the pid
of totem because it was invisible.

I think this statement is from the qharley from this list :

qharley
Joined: 2007-03-24
Like the track. The guitars

Like the track. The guitars are quite spacious, and I would add a
bit more “environment” to the rhythm track to match the guitars -
ie. a (little) bit of hall reverb and some more low frequency punch.

Live drums would obviously be best… we wish!

Problems I have with Linux too. The guitars are ok. IMHO the Drums don't
need reverb while the music is stereo but they need a lot more low
frequency punch and less phasing highs. At that moment, I turned to mono
the drums needed a little bit reverb. Summarized the hole song has to be
remixed, maybe with better drum samples and control of unwanted phasing,
EQs and stereo sum compression and the reverb has to be added into the
sum too but by aux for each instrument. With Linux and my machine
898MHz, 1.125GB RAM this maybe would work but it would be at the border
of overloading. If this musician has less RAM than I or a slower CPU he
has to do a ping pong recording, so he will loose control if for example
the kick is a little bit to loud while the whole drums are at two tracks.

Home recording with live drums and a Marshall stack could force to
become homeless . Even if I beef about many things it's great that we
don't need a studio and that there are drum samples, oos and aas that
might not sound as a real drummer and choir but we have it all in the box.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Quentin Harley

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> as I have written I don't know Ardour, a long time ago I compiled Ardour
> with VST for Suse but I never used it. Compiling Ardour doe's take a
> long time on my computer but it works. So after your informations about
> MIDI support and after I take a look at
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/24012642@N02/ I'm interested to compile
> such a version for my 64studio ignoring if it will work or not at the
> moment. I just want to take a look but I can't find the sources.

You have to get the 3.0 branch of ardour from SVN. See this Ardour
download page for more info: http://www.ardour.org/download_full

> While Totem played http://ardour.org/node/1482 from HD I run Iceweasel
> with 2 opened tabs (Add-ons: CustomizeGoogle, GB and DE dictionaries),
> Icedove and 'Icedove Compose', GNOME Terminal running top and I run
> QJackCtl, the WM has been GNOME.
>
> Any time I moved the mouse or such less action Totem break playing. CPU
> and RAM have been ok. Totem sometimes crashed and I had to kill the pid
> of totem because it was invisible.
>
> I think this statement is from the qharley from this list :
>
> qharley
> Joined: 2007-03-24
> Like the track. The guitars
>
> Like the track. The guitars are quite spacious, and I would add a
> bit more “environment” to the rhythm track to match the guitars -
> ie. a (little) bit of hall reverb and some more low frequency punch.
>
> Live drums would obviously be best… we wish!

My opinion only...

> Problems I have with Linux too. The guitars are ok. IMHO the Drums don't
> need reverb while the music is stereo but they need a lot more low
> frequency punch and less phasing highs. At that moment, I turned to mono
> the drums needed a little bit reverb. Summarized the hole song has to be
> remixed, maybe with better drum samples and control of unwanted phasing,
> EQs and stereo sum compression and the reverb has to be added into the
> sum too but by aux for each instrument. With Linux and my machine
> 898MHz, 1.125GB RAM this maybe would work but it would be at the border
> of overloading. If this musician has less RAM than I or a slower CPU he
> has to do a ping pong recording, so he will loose control if for example
> the kick is a little bit to loud while the whole drums are at two tracks.

I am sure the guy has a powerful system, if you hear some of the other
stuff he cooks up...

> Home recording with live drums and a Marshall stack could force to
> become homeless .

That's exactly why I said "We wish"... Real studios don't come cheap,
but is always the ideal, isn't it?

> Even if I beef about many things it's great that we
> don't need a studio and that there are drum samples, oos and aas that
> might not sound as a real drummer and choir but we have it all in the box.

I am a supporter of "real" music. Don't get me wrong. Sequenced MIDI
is not less real in terms of the music itself, but it it the magic of
live performance that makes music alive. I have a project studio that
records live acts only at this stage, and that involved artists that can
really sing, really play the instruments, and really enjoy what they are
doing. But this is only my personal preference. I do not have the
knack of composing great music, only the knack to make good music sound
great. And that is where my 64studio system comes in. It works for
me, and that is what is important to me, and why I freely advocate the
use of it to anyone that has ears, or can read.

Cheers,
Quentin