-   -   How mane left? (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/586123-how-mane-left.html)

10-11-2011 10:46 AM

How mane left?

All

Been following this for some time now, and using S64 for years. It seems to
have died, or fallen off a cliff, or gone to sleep. I emailed the
maintainers recently to ask if the upgrade
instructions on the site are still useful. I need an upgrade (or something)
to stop my machine from hanging regularly. Getting a bit stuck now... any
friendly advice?

Thanks

HSBC Bank plc
Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ
Registered in England - Number 14259

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

This E-mail is confidential.

It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you
may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have
received this message in error, please delete it and all copies
from your system and notify the sender immediately by return
E-mail.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure,
error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions.

Dave Phillips 10-11-2011 10:52 AM

How mane left?

On 10/11/2011 06:46 AM, paul.beaudoin@hsbc.com wrote:
> ... I need an upgrade (or something)
> to stop my machine from hanging regularly. Getting a bit stuck now... any
> friendly advice?

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/arch-tale

:)

Best,

dp

Robin Gareus 10-11-2011 12:41 PM

How mane left?

Bonjour Paul,

On 10/11/2011 12:46 PM, paul.beaudoin@hsbc.com wrote:
> All
>
> Been following this for some time now, and using S64 for years. It seems to
> have died, or fallen off a cliff, or gone to sleep.

Most of 64studio has been merged upstream directly into debian. The
64studio packagers (Free, Alessio, Daniel, me,..) moved on to
pkg-multimedia-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org

Nevertheless a successor of 64Studio called OpenDAW is sitting around
unannounced for some time now. Basically OpenDAW is debian/squeeze with
a handful of extra packages which did not [yet] make it into debian.

> I emailed the
> maintainers recently to ask if the upgrade
> instructions on the site are still useful. I need an upgrade (or something)
> to stop my machine from hanging regularly. Getting a bit stuck now... any
> friendly advice?

What kernel are you running? `uname -a`

I suppose you could try to fix the system deadlock by updating the
kernel - if you want to give it a try: get back to me about it. There's
a 3.0.6-rt17 in the queue for OpenDAW; but it still lacks some testing.

However, since 64studio has reached its end-of-life, it may be wise to
simply re-install the whole system.

ciao,
robin

guerrier 10-11-2011 12:55 PM

How mane left?

Hi

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Robin Gareus <robin@64studio.com> wrote:

> Nevertheless a successor of 64Studio called OpenDAW is sitting around
> unannounced for some time now. Basically OpenDAW is debian/squeeze with
> a handful of extra packages which did not [yet] make it into debian.

> I suppose you could try to fix the system deadlock by updating the
> kernel - if you want to give it a try: get back to me about it. There's
> a 3.0.6-rt17 in the queue for OpenDAW; but it still lacks some testing.

Do y'all need some testers? I am already running deb squeeze.

guerrier

Richard 10-11-2011 02:02 PM

How mane left?

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:46:37 +0100
paul.beaudoin@hsbc.com wrote:

> All
>
> Been following this for some time now, and using S64 for years. It seems to
> have died, or fallen off a cliff, or gone to sleep. I emailed the
> maintainers recently to ask if the upgrade
> instructions on the site are still useful. I need an upgrade (or something)
> to stop my machine from hanging regularly. Getting a bit stuck now... any
> friendly advice?
>
> Thanks

I tried Opendaw , but moved completely over to debian Sqeeze then to Wheezy, which has a good
integration of Alsa and Pulseaudio, and uses kernel 3.0.1.

Had synaptic worked I probably would have stayed with opendaw, but it didn't and without an easy way to
load s/w a PIA.

Why not go with opendaw go straight for deb wheezy, testing, and claw back some of the delivery time.
So far its the only distro which allows a low sampling rate on my M-audio D66 card with Kernel 3.
Everything else forces to just half duplex at 48000, Not much use if I want to sample at 11025 in a
very narrow bandwidth.

Just my two penneth
--
Best wishes / 73
Richard Bown

e-mail: richard@g8jvm.com or richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk

nil carborundum a illegitemis

Larry Troxler 10-11-2011 02:38 PM

How mane left?

Hi Dave, it's been quite a while since I posted on this list.

On 10/11/2011 06:52 AM, Dave Phillips wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 06:46 AM, paul.beaudoin@hsbc.com wrote:
>> ... I need an upgrade (or something)
>> to stop my machine from hanging regularly. Getting a bit stuck now... any
>> friendly advice?
>>

> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/arch-tale
Bookmarked. Check.

Actually, Dave, our hardware seems to be fairly similar - Like you I
have a machine based on the Antec case, - single core AMD,, 3 gigs, a
Delta 10/ /10 (which in retrospect was an over kill), and the
Studio-64 distro.

I would have to say that even though antiquated, it served (or may still
serve?) its purpose as a music synthesiser. I carried the that antec
case and in general (hooked up to a keyboard controller of course), it
served me well. The downside is that the 10/10 is powered by a freaking
wall-wart, and the connection to the PCI card is flakey as well. I guess
that's why it was marketed as a studio device and
not something you take out to play an outdoor concert with.

I do know that with 64, I found that I always needed a new bug fix,
or wanted to add a new feature, or a synth that wasn't packaged up,
I ended up doing a lot of compiling, so that
my machine ended up being a mismatch of custom-compiled packages and
debian. Actually not too big
a problem, because once I realised that upgraging apps just meant I sort
of said to hell with the packaging system, and just simply compiled
newer versions of what I needed, and also built programs
that were'nt even supplied as packages.

I _would_ like to install something on my HDMI laptop,
however, and I currently haven't found yet any answers.
Basically I think it would be be cool to run one of the multimedia
variants of Csound, but have it work either on Win 7, or some distro of
Linux.

I just want to take advantage of HDMI...

Larry

Robin Gareus 10-11-2011 02:48 PM

How mane left?

On 10/11/2011 02:55 PM, guerrier wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Robin Gareus <robin@64studio.com> wrote:
>
>> Nevertheless a successor of 64Studio called OpenDAW is sitting around
>> unannounced for some time now. Basically OpenDAW is debian/squeeze with
>> a handful of extra packages which did not [yet] make it into debian.
>

>> I suppose you could try to fix the system deadlock by updating the
>> kernel - if you want to give it a try: get back to me about it. There's
>> a 3.0.6-rt17 in the queue for OpenDAW; but it still lacks some testing.
>
> Do y'all need some testers? I am already running deb squeeze.

I'm in contact off-list with Daniel about how to best organize this.

The last official kernel is 2.6.33.7.2-rt30-multimedia-1-amd64 which
works pretty stable. I'm actually a bit surprised at the report that it
hangs, but well. It can be anything.

If you want to test, note that linux-3.0.6-rt17+-amd64 still has some
issues with NVidia cards! This is being worked on upstream. The nouveau
driver barfs with the -rt patch; but the proprietary driver works -
after overriding some GPL-only symbols, that is. We can not distribute it.

Anyway, for most audio tasks, the PREEMT_RT patch is no longer required:
Since linux-2.6.39 threadirqs is available in the vanilla kernel.

robin

Daniel James 10-11-2011 04:47 PM

How mane left?

Hi Richard,

> Had synaptic worked I probably would have stayed with opendaw

That's a known issue in beta1, synaptic needs a template file.

Cheers!

Daniel

Daniel James 10-11-2011 05:00 PM

How mane left?

Hi Larry,

> The downside is that the 10/10 is powered by a freaking
> wall-wart, and the connection to the PCI card is flakey as well.

It should be possible to source a better power supply if you know the
specs - John Rigg used to mod 1010's with good results.

Try an IEEE 1284 parallel port cable from an old Zip drive to replace
the stock breakout cable, it works great (as long as you don't try to
hot plug it - that is likely to cause damage, according to the manual).
Whatever you use I believe it has to be IEEE 1284 compliant; some serial
cables aren't, as I understand it.

> I _would_ like to install something on my HDMI laptop,
> however, and I currently haven't found yet any answers.

OpenDAW 4.0 beta1 should work on that, as long as the video card works
on Debian squeeze. You will probably need to install the linux-firmware
package to get direct rendering on Radeon etc.

Cheers!

Daniel

Folderol 10-23-2011 09:22 AM

How mane left?

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:00:25 +0100
Daniel James <daniel@64studio.com> wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> > The downside is that the 10/10 is powered by a freaking
> > wall-wart, and the connection to the PCI card is flakey as well.
>
> It should be possible to source a better power supply if you know the
> specs - John Rigg used to mod 1010's with good results.
>
> Try an IEEE 1284 parallel port cable from an old Zip drive to replace
> the stock breakout cable, it works great (as long as you don't try to
> hot plug it - that is likely to cause damage, according to the manual).
> Whatever you use I believe it has to be IEEE 1284 compliant; some serial
> cables aren't, as I understand it.
>
> > I _would_ like to install something on my HDMI laptop,
> > however, and I currently haven't found yet any answers.
>
> OpenDAW 4.0 beta1 should work on that, as long as the video card works
> on Debian squeeze. You will probably need to install the linux-firmware
> package to get direct rendering on Radeon etc.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Where *is* OpenDaw 4.0? Maybe I'm going senile, but I'm finding it extremely
difficult to find anything other than the years-old version of 64Studio :(

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk