Old 03-18-2008, 06:05 PM
"linux_chaos@yahoo.de"

Default bad midi timing

hello,

me midi-sequencer has a really bad timing. it doesn't matter, which
sequencer i use (tried seq24, muse and rosegarden). my machine should be
big enough (amd 64bit dualcore 2400/2gb-ram) and cpu-usage is 3-5%.

what can i do?

i'm happy about every hint...

thanks and greetings
l.chaos

Old 03-19-2008, 09:31 AM
"linux_chaos@yahoo.de"

hello,

thanks for reply!

> can you specify the kind of 'bad timing'?
bad timing means not like a straight clock - compared to a clock i would
say, the seconds have different length (so you could say "too much
humanized" or not machine-like). hope you understand, what i mean...

> If you have a wrong timing (some notes will be complete out of time)
> check if you have forgotten to enable the realtime option 'jackd -R'
> or in the Settings of Jack Connect (qjackctl).
the relatime-option is already activated...

> Maybe the timings of your sequencers are fine but some virtual
> synthesizers seems to play out of time because of improper audio
> settings (xruns, latency).
good idea, but i only use hardware-synths :-) and when i use a
hardware-sequencer with the same synths, the timing is perfect.
and for harddiskrecording, i do not have any problems with latency or
xruns - the audiosystem seems to be fine.

any other suggestions?

thanks and greetings
l.chaos

Old 03-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Ralf Mardorf

>> can you specify the kind of 'bad timing'?
> bad timing means not like a straight clock - compared to a clock i
> would say, the seconds have different length (so you could say "too
> much humanized" or not machine-like). hope you understand, what i mean...

Yes I do understand. Your sequencers really have no timing and ...

>> If you have a wrong timing (some notes will be complete out of time)
>> check if you have forgotten to enable the realtime option 'jackd -R'
>> or in the Settings of Jack Connect (qjackctl).
> the relatime-option is already activated...

... reading this I would say something went horrible wrong.

>> Maybe the timings of your sequencers are fine but some virtual
>> synthesizers seems to play out of time because of improper audio
>> settings (xruns, latency).
> good idea, but i only use hardware-synths :-) and when i use a
> hardware-sequencer with the same synths, the timing is perfect.
> and for harddiskrecording, i do not have any problems with latency or
> xruns - the audiosystem seems to be fine.
>
> any other suggestions?

Do you run 64studio as the user of the installation? If not please check
the groups by running 'id' in a terminal. But if you can use audio
duplex without getting problems groups and /etc/security/limits.conf
maybe ok. Hm, cpu-usage under 10%, however please run 'top' in a
terminal and post it.
Have you checked your RAM, hd-drive etc. with a memtest and programs
like this?
Have you run jack and applications like roesegarden as root? If not
please try this to see if there is something different.
If your audiocard is able to produce PCM music I don't understand why
MIDI won't work. I've installed 64studio 2.1rc1 some days ago and I just
tested the quality of the sound and to connect to all needed MIDI ports
but not if the MIDI timing is correct. I won't test it today but I don't
believe that I have this problem too.

Can you manipulate the timing fluctuation by moving the mouse, open
pictures or something else? If you run 'jackd -R -d alsa' or qjackctl
there are no strange messages displayed?

Also non real time kernels do real time but not very well. The menu.lst
is ok? Have you controlled if you are booting the right kernel by
running 'uname -r' in a terminal? The installation medium also is ok?
Maybe you can verify the MD5 checksum.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Are you using the MIDI port or ports of your computer for the first
time? I've got a no name USB-MIDI(-Interface) that won't work with a
self made MIDI-thru-box, I have to open the MIDI-thru-box and to adjust
the input sensibility, resp. instead I'm using it with Gameport-MIDI.
Maybe your MIDI-outs haven't enough power to control your synthesizers
MIDI-ins correctly.