-   -   TV Automation Software (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/460981-tv-automation-software.html)

Amilcar De Leon 12-03-2010 08:58 PM

TV Automation Software

Hi All

I'm looking for an open source alternative to video/tv automation software (such as http://www.otsav.com/) and I have not found something useful (distro or tool), can I do that with Project 64? or is there any distro/tool you could recommend?

--
Amlcar de Len
Linux User: 480121

"Daniel James" 12-06-2010 06:33 PM

TV Automation Software

Hi Amlcar,

> I'm looking for an open source alternative to video/tv automation software
> (such as http://www.otsav.com/) and I have not found something useful
> (distro or tool)

The closest thing I know is Campcaster: http://campcaster.sourcefabric.org

You would need to modify the scheduler so that it triggered the playout of
video files, rather than just audio files. If you are seriously interested
in working on that, I expect the Campcaster developers would like to hear
from you.

What's the application? Are you working in a TV station in Antigua?

Cheers!

Daniel

Ralf Mardorf 12-06-2010 07:20 PM

TV Automation Software

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 19:33 +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Am*lcar,
>
> > I'm looking for an open source alternative to video/tv automation software
> > (such as http://www.otsav.com/) and I have not found something useful
> > (distro or tool)
>
> The closest thing I know is Campcaster: http://campcaster.sourcefabric.org
>
> You would need to modify the scheduler so that it triggered the playout of
> video files, rather than just audio files. If you are seriously interested
> in working on that, I expect the Campcaster developers would like to hear
> from you.
>
> What's the application? Are you working in a TV station in Antigua?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

I'm not sure what exactly you need and how much money you are able to
pay.

Regarding to 'When you purchase today for just US$299.95 you will
receive:

* OtsAV DJ Pro 1.85 (Digital Download)**
* Free upgrades to any further releases made under version 1.85.x
* Ots Studio and Ots Player companion applications'
http://www.otsav.com/buy-otsav-dj-pro/ at least the costs for the
hardware needed by BBC's software Ingex could be an issue, while the
software is for free.

'The Ingex project is actively developed as part of the Production
Automation work managed by Phil Tudor of BBC R&D.'
http://ingex.sourceforge.net/

8.

'The cost?
The hardware required for an ‘Ingex’ recorder capable of recording four
SDI inputs each with four audio channels and including 80 track-hours of
storage currently costs €10 000. An HD version can be configured by
using HD capable SDI capture cards, but with two cards rather than four
in each PC. We estimate that a two-channel HD version would cost €15
000.

The MediaHarmony server, equipped with 20 TBytes of storage (which is
sufficient for about 800 hours of content), currently costs in the
region of €15 000.

We are making the software for both of these available as open source.
For further details see ingex.sourceforge.net.'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/tapeless-production/indexp8.shtml

Cheers!

Ralf

"Daniel James" 12-06-2010 07:27 PM

TV Automation Software

Hi Ralf,

> The hardware required for an ??Ingex?? recorder capable of recording
> four SDI inputs each with four audio channels and including 80
> track-hours of storage currently costs ?10 000.

That page is out of date - SDI capture cards (the most expensive part of
the Ingex hardware) are now much more affordable.

> The MediaHarmony server, equipped with 20 TBytes of storage (which is
> sufficient for about 800 hours of content), currently costs in the
> region of ?15 000.

Again, you can buy 1TB disks for very little these days. But Ingex is a
capture, storage and format translation system, not a playout scheduling
system - different ends of the broadcast chain.

Cheers!

Daniel

Ralf Mardorf 12-06-2010 07:53 PM

TV Automation Software

Hi Daniel :)

> But Ingex is a
> capture, storage and format translation system, not a playout scheduling
> system - different ends of the broadcast chain.

Yes, resp.dunno, but I guess for cutting and automated playout
additional software is needed. Isn't it possible just to start a player
by a cron job?

Cheers!

Ralf

"Daniel James" 12-06-2010 08:04 PM

TV Automation Software

Hi Ralf,

> I guess for cutting and automated playout
> additional software is needed. Isn't it possible just to start a player
> by a cron job?

Yes, but in real life you need to manage the broadcast schedule with a
more user-friendly tool, such as the web interface in Campcaster.

Cheers!

Daniel

Ralf Mardorf 12-06-2010 08:41 PM

TV Automation Software

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 21:04 +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> > I guess for cutting and automated playout
> > additional software is needed. Isn't it possible just to start a player
> > by a cron job?
>
> Yes, but in real life you need to manage the broadcast schedule with a
> more user-friendly tool, such as the web interface in Campcaster.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Hm?

Banshee needs playout scheduling, perhaps the coders could add a cron
job function more easily to Banshee, but to add video support to
Campcaster.

OT:

> > The hardware required for an ‘Ingex’ recorder capable of recording
> > four SDI inputs each with four audio channels and including 80
> > track-hours of storage currently costs €10 000.
>
> That page is out of date - SDI capture cards (the most expensive part of
> the Ingex hardware) are now much more affordable.

The page also informs about 'The key to this work has been the
combination of increasing processing power available at consumer IT
prices, the rapidly falling price of disc storage, open source software
packages providing professional quality video and audio processing and
the integration of these into an automated production system.'

Btw. a PNY NVIDIA Quadro 6000 SDI I/O SDI card is around €10,000.

"Daniel James" 12-06-2010 09:14 PM

TV Automation Software

Hi Ralf,

> Banshee needs playout scheduling, perhaps the coders could add a cron
> job function more easily to Banshee, but to add video support to
> Campcaster.

It's a different kind of application. The tricky part is not a sysadmin
making a file play at a certain time with cron, it's making an interface
that allows groups of non-technical users to manage broadcast schedules in
a collaborative way.

> Btw. a PNY NVIDIA Quadro 6000 SDI I/O SDI card is around ?10,000.

AJA's SDI capture cards start under US $1000, and they have Linux drivers
apparently:

http://www.aja.com/products/oem/oem.php

Cheers!

Daniel

Amilcar De Leon 12-06-2010 09:47 PM

TV Automation Software

Thanks for your answers, will check on the sites.

Well, the thing is that someone at at local tv station asked me for a software to do that, because they're wondering if it is possible to do it under linux (due to costs, they don't want to purchase any software, perhaps some hardware) and I could not find any tool/distro ready to do that, but I've found the following links if you guys would like to take a look at that

http://puredata.info/

http://www.oktopus.tv/puredata-vjtools/
http://freej.org/
http://www.marlonj.com/blog/2009/02/puredata-y-reactivision-en-ubuntu-810/

http://www.mythbuntu.org/
http://usuarios.multimania.es/hermanosjesus/otros/Manual.htm

(last 2 links might not be useful, not sure)

So it seems there is no perfect application to do that - yet - but instead we can mix several very interesting tools, but I'm afraid you need to be both a tv-cable technitian and a Linux expert (at least not basic knowledge)

--
Amlcar de Len
Linux User: 480121

Ralf Mardorf 12-06-2010 10:12 PM

TV Automation Software

Hi Daniel :)

> > Banshee needs playout scheduling, perhaps the coders could add a cron
> > job function more easily to Banshee, but to add video support to
> > Campcaster.
>
> It's a different kind of application. The tricky part is not a sysadmin
> making a file play at a certain time with cron, it's making an interface
> that allows groups of non-technical users to manage broadcast schedules in
> a collaborative way.

While Campcaster might be the better app for broadcasting, Banshee still
could do this job too. A developer could add a GUI/user interface for
non-technical users, to provide a 'timer' option, e.g. by using cron
jobs.

OT:

> > Btw. a PNY NVIDIA Quadro 6000 SDI I/O SDI card is around ?10,000.
>
> AJA's SDI capture cards start under US $1000, and they have Linux drivers
> apparently:
>
> http://www.aja.com/products/oem/oem.php

NVIDIA also does sell cheaper cards. Btw. whats about 'amateur' video
capture by USB, 30,- to 100,- EUR for some needs?

I wonder if a 1k,- EUR card for video capture might be comparable with
an Envy24 elCheapo for audio?! I haven't got a clue!

Cheers!

Ralf