-   -   Icedove, Usenet and Killfiles (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/45429-icedove-usenet-killfiles.html)

Susan Dridi 02-02-2008 12:43 PM

Icedove, Usenet and Killfiles

Hi All,

I'm accessing usenet through Icedove and I'd like to figure out how to
set up a killfile.

Specifically, I'd like to block all messages that are crossposted to
more than one newsgroup, which would restore the high signal to noise
ratio I've been enjoying until a bunch of crossposting loons invaded my
favorite newsgroup.

In Icedove, under "Tools" -> "Message Filters" -> "Filter Rules" (you
get there by going to "New" or "Edit") the options to filter messages
are by "Subject", "From" or "Date". None of those will do the trick. And
the option to "Run Filters on Folder" is grayed out. I'm also not sure
what "Ignore Thread" vs. "Delete Message" means. There is no "Delete"
buttom when you select a message, only "Cancel Message" which you can
only do on your own posts.

Is there a package I should install to properly handle killfiles?

Thanks!

-Susan

Daniel James 02-07-2008 11:08 AM

Icedove, Usenet and Killfiles

Hi Susan,

> Specifically, I'd like to block all messages that are crossposted to
> more than one newsgroup, which would restore the high signal to noise
> ratio I've been enjoying until a bunch of crossposting loons invaded my
> favorite newsgroup.

I don't think Icedove/Thunderbird has that feature. At least you can
right-click on an email address and select Create Filter from Message.

Cheers!

Daniel

Susan Dridi 02-08-2008 12:50 AM

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Susan,
>
>> Specifically, I'd like to block all messages that are crossposted to
>> more than one newsgroup, which would restore the high signal to noise
>> ratio I've been enjoying until a bunch of crossposting loons invaded my
>> favorite newsgroup.
>
> I don't think Icedove/Thunderbird has that feature. At least you can
> right-click on an email address and select Create Filter from Message.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks so much for looking into this. You are right, Icedove/Thunderbird
doesn't handle this, I was hoping there was some config file I could
hand edit or some add on package that I could install. But no luck.

But a bit of googling and I found a really nice stand alone Gnome based
newsreader called Pan. http://pan.rebelbase.com/

There's a Debian Etch package for it. I always get worried when I see a
lot of dependencies, as I want to keep things as close to what you guys
are developing as possible, but the only package beside pan that got
pulled in was libgmime-2.0-2. It looks like the rest of them were core
Gnome libraries, but I can't say for sure.

It really does make a difference being able to filter out all cross
posted articles, and having more advanced filtering options. Trolls have
a bad habit of using bogus email addresses which they switch all the
time. You could end up with a ton of different filters on just the "MI5
Persecution guy"! And trolls are especially attracted to groups that
stay on topic, so...

Anyway, I don't know if you'd want to add it to the set of "Internet"
packages in 64Studio, but if you have a place on your website for user
recommended packages, I'd suggest this one.

Take care,

-Susan