Old 01-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Tomas Nykung

Default ssh connection problem

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 02:58:48PM +0000, Free Ekanayaka wrote:

> Well, we should probably add this to the FAQ. The default for a debian
> system is to turn on ssh at boot.

The default on Debian Etch is to install only the client program(s) of
openssh and not the server itself, on a newly installed system
dpkg -l openssh* says:
ii openssh-client 4.3p2-9 Secure shell client, an rlogin/rsh/rcp repla
un openssh-server <none> (no description available)

I.e. the service is not installed and thus not enabled by default but
if the user installs it it's expected that (s)he wants to run it also,
so then it's started when the system boots.

This seems to be more logical to me, and how I expect a Debian based
system to work, but I'm a long time Debian user, so my thinking may be
"tainted"

(Just nitpicking, no need to take this mail too seriously
And BTW thanks for all the work all of you guys are doing for
multimedia on 64Studio and Debian!)

Tomas

Old 02-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Daniel James

Hi Free,

> Well, we should probably add this to the FAQ. The default for a debian
> system is to turn on ssh at boot.

It's now item 7 on:

http://www.64studio.com/faq_user

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 02-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Free Ekanayaka

|--==> Daniel James writes:

DJ> Hi Free,
>>Well, we should probably add this to the FAQ. The default for a debian
>>system is to turn on ssh at boot.

DJ> It's now item 7 on:

DJ> http://www.64studio.com/faq_user

Thanks!

Free

Old 09-11-2008, 02:16 PM
"Zhengguo Xu"

Hi all,

I have a desktop and laptop both installed with Hardy. I can connect my laptop using SSH from my desktop but cannot connect desktop from the laptop (the error message is login time out). anyone know how to solve this problem? By the way, i have all necessary packages installed in both pcs, and laptop using wireless and desktop wired internet connection if these matters.

thanks.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 PM
"Dustin Breese"

Just to make sure I follow --

a) DESKTOP to LAPTOP is ok
b) LAPTOP to DESKTOP is NOT OK

Some simple things to check and try to troubleshoot these types of
issues and narrow down the issue:

1) Are you sure that SSHD is running on you Desktop?
2) Do you see a listener on port 22 on your Desktop? ($ netstat -an |
grep 22 | grep LISTEN)
3) Are you running a firewall on your desktop?
4) What does "ssh -vv" output give?
5) Can you connect from DESKTOP to DESKTOP?

Regards,
Dustin

Old 09-11-2008, 02:27 PM
"Mark Haney"

Zhengguo Xu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a desktop and laptop both installed with Hardy. I can connect my
> laptop using SSH from my desktop but cannot connect desktop from the laptop
> (the error message is login time out). anyone know how to solve this
> problem? By the way, i have all necessary packages installed in both pcs,
> and laptop using wireless and desktop wired internet connection if these
> matters.
>
> thanks.

Do you have sshd configured and running on the desktop?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 09-11-2008, 02:37 PM
"Diogo Böhm"

Another issue is that sometimes you got two different networks, allowing only one actually "seeing" the other station. That's similar to a problem I faced a couple of weeks ago.

For instance, the stations were:

Desktop: 192.168.254.30 netmask 255.255.255.0
Laptop: 192.168.0.4 netmask 255.255.0.0

According to the mask configurations, only the laptop is able to see the desktop. The desktop can't see the laptop, so on, ssh only works when connecting from the laptop.

If that's the problem, you should review your network settings.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:28 PM
"Zhengguo Xu"

ok, firstly, Dustin you're right. a) DESKTOP to LAPTOP is ok b) LAPTOP to DESKTOP is NOT OK

i didn't know the process sshd exist until Mark and you mentioned it (well, I'm a newbie as you can see). so i checked the system monitor in both pcs.

at first, i didn't find it on any of the pc. however, when i connect from desktop to laptop, there's "sshd:MYNAME@NOTTY" running on laptop.

i installed openssh-server on both machines and as far as i remember i didn't do any more configuration. so i have no idea why sshd is runing automatically on laptop but not on the other.

how should i start sshd?

i googled and the first several results are from Ubuntu forum :-)

according to some post i should:

/etc/init.d/sshd restart

however, i don't have sshd under /etc/init.d/, only ssh. so i did:

sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start

output is:

** Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server sshd**************************** [ OK ]

after that i tried to connect from laptop again but to no avail.

netstat -an | grep 22 | grep LISTEN gives:

tcp6****** 0***** 0 :::22****************** :::******************** LISTEN****
unix* 2***** [ ACC ]**** STREAM**** LISTENING**** 29681*** /tmp/orbit-anotherpcname/linc-1c75-0-1da3daf222050
unix* 2***** [ ACC ]**** STREAM**** LISTENING**** 32322*** /tmp/orbit-anotherpcname/linc-1d74-0-380e8440f14f2

unix* 2***** [ ACC ]**** STREAM**** LISTENING**** 32524*** /tmp/orbit-anotherpcname/linc-1d78-0-4a73be62218ae

i can conect desktop locally ("ssh localhost" works).

so any suggestion?

thanks again.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
"Mark Haney"

Zhengguo Xu wrote:
> ok, firstly, Dustin you're right. a) DESKTOP to LAPTOP is ok b) LAPTOP to
> DESKTOP is NOT OK
>
> i didn't know the process sshd exist until Mark and you mentioned it (well,
> I'm a newbie as you can see). so i checked the system monitor in both pcs.
>
> at first, i didn't find it on any of the pc. however, when i connect from
> desktop to laptop, there's "sshd:MYNAME@NOTTY" running on laptop.
>
> i installed openssh-server on both machines and as far as i remember i
> didn't do any more configuration. so i have no idea why sshd is runing
> automatically on laptop but not on the other.
>
> how should i start sshd?
>
> i googled and the first several results are from Ubuntu forum :-)
>
> according to some post i should:
>
> /etc/init.d/sshd restart
>
> however, i don't have sshd under /etc/init.d/, only ssh. so i did:
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start
>
> output is:
>
> * Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server sshd [
> OK ]
>
> after that i tried to connect from laptop again but to no avail.
>
> netstat -an | grep 22 | grep LISTEN gives:
>
> tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::*
> LISTEN
> unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 29681
> /tmp/orbit-anotherpcname/linc-1c75-0-1da3daf222050
> unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 32322
> /tmp/orbit-anotherpcname/linc-1d74-0-380e8440f14f2
> unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 32524
> /tmp/orbit-anotherpcname/linc-1d78-0-4a73be62218ae
>
> i can conect desktop locally ("ssh localhost" works).
>
> so any suggestion?
>
> thanks again.

Are you running iptables? (Okay for n00b, that would be a firewall) That
could be blocking access to port 22. That's my first guess. If you're
still getting timeouts and not a request for login, then something it
not allowing you access to that port.

You've demonstrated that you can ssh between the 2 boxes in one
direction, that eliminates a network problem for the most part. Try
shutting down your firewall on your desktop and try to ssh from the
laptop again.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 PM
"Zhengguo Xu"

Are you running iptables? (Okay for n00b, that would be a firewall) That

could be blocking access to port 22. *That's my first guess. *If you're

still getting timeouts and not a request for login, then something it

not allowing you access to that port.

ps -A | grep iptable gives nothing so i guess iptables is not running. or is there any other way to check it?

*

You've demonstrated that you can ssh between the 2 boxes in one

direction, that eliminates a network problem for the most part. *Try

shutting down your firewall on your desktop and try to ssh from the

laptop again.

i did installed firestarter but i don't think it's running (it need to be manually initiated). also, if the iptables is running, how to shut it down?