-   -   Why can't I install listed packages with synaptic package manager? (and why the idiotic release names?!?!) (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/434523-why-cant-i-install-listed-packages-synaptic-package-manager-why-idiotic-release-names.html)

Larry Troxler 10-02-2010 03:31 AM

On 09/28/2010 03:59 AM, Guido Piazzi wrote:
> Il giorno 28/set/2010, alle ore 05.44, Larry Troxler ha scritto:
>
>> Even just hitting reload gives a big mean message box listing all the
>> repositories that could not be found. For example, one is
>> "http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz".
>
> Try to replace "http://ftp.debian.org/" with "http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/": 64studio 2.1 is quite old and meanwhile Debian etch is no longer supported and has been moved away from the main Debian server.
>
> The current "de facto" 64studio version is 3.0beta3, based on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. If you need something less experimental, try AVlinux 4.1 or Ubuntu Studio 10.04, which I also use for general purpose applications, since my audio requirements are very basic.
>
> Regards,
> Guido

So anyway, thanks, a bit of disappointing news. I notice that even the
3.0 beta is a more than a year old, and you say it's based on Ubuntu
8.04 LTS (whatever LTS is - I'll google). So it's already 2 1/2 years
old and still in beta. I'll read up a bit I guess.

Am I write in thinking that the reason these music distros are so
lagging, is not so much the people working on them, but just the fact
that developers of the music apps are slow to put out debian packages?

I guess sometimes the dependency issue makes moving forward go more slowly.

At the moment, theoretically I guess Ubuntu Studio would be the most
current, but something turned me off about it when I tried it. I think
it was either that the kernel wasn't real-time by default, or it wasn't
built around Jack. I got the impression that it was oriented more to
video than audio.

I looked at AVLinux but the audio application list is laughable lacking.
Not even PD or Rosegarden from what I remember. There's also a couple
other "live" distros.

<rant>
So why the current trend of giving distribution releases names instead
of numbers? Yes, I kind of figured out that they go in alphabetical
order, but something like e.g. "Ponderous Priest" means nothing to me.
When was it released?? Is it the same as 13.1 or is it 15.0? Why do we
now have to keep track of both the numbered versions and the named
versions, and how they correspond? Isn't this the equivalent of a
software smell of storing the same information in two different places?
And invariably, the alphabetical names are stupid enough the it really
discredits the knowledgeable people how work hard on these distros. It
makes it seem like the software is just a toy for kids. At least Ubuntu
has a good idea with naming the numeric release according to when they
were released. See, the analogy with software engineering in that case
is a good one! It avoid needless duplication! </rant>

Ralf Mardorf 10-02-2010 06:37 AM

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 23:31 -0400, Larry Troxler wrote:
> On 09/28/2010 03:59 AM, Guido Piazzi wrote:
> > Il giorno 28/set/2010, alle ore 05.44, Larry Troxler ha scritto:
> >
> >> Even just hitting reload gives a big mean message box listing all the
> >> repositories that could not be found. For example, one is
> >> "http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz".
> >
> > Try to replace "http://ftp.debian.org/" with "http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/": 64studio 2.1 is quite old and meanwhile Debian etch is no longer supported and has been moved away from the main Debian server.
> >
> > The current "de facto" 64studio version is 3.0beta3, based on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. If you need something less experimental, try AVlinux 4.1 or Ubuntu Studio 10.04, which I also use for general purpose applications, since my audio requirements are very basic.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Guido
>

> So anyway, thanks, a bit of disappointing news. I notice that even the
> 3.0 beta is a more than a year old, and you say it's based on Ubuntu
> 8.04 LTS (whatever LTS is - I'll google). So it's already 2 1/2 years
> old and still in beta. I'll read up a bit I guess.

3.3 alpha is ok and based on Karmic, you can ignore the word "alpha".

> Am I write in thinking that the reason these music distros are so
> lagging, is not so much the people working on them, but just the fact
> that developers of the music apps are slow to put out debian packages?

I'm subscribed to the Ubuntu Studio list, having a discussion about the
kernel. Ubuntu Studio don't ships with a PREEMPT RT kernel, but just a
PREEMPT kernel, without the rt-patch.

Neither the kernel-rt from the repositories, nor self-build kernels are
ok for my Ubuntu Studio install.

I'm working with the 'outdated' 64 Studio 3.0 beta, 3.3 alpha and
sometimes openSUSE 11.2.

Take care when using Linux distros supporting latest desktop software.

On Fri, 2010-10-01 Scott Lavender, Ubuntu Studio project lead wrote:
> [snip]
> I would argue that Ubuntu Studio is not for a professional studio.
>
> Despite what others might argue or what various documentation might
> say, I believe the Ubuntu Studio is NOT for professional use in a
> recording studio.
>
> In my opinion, much greater control would be required to tailor
> kernels, applications, and system systems. A company like Indamixx
> and their OS, Transmission 4.0, would be an example.
> http://www.indamixx.com/indamixx-iso-download.html
> [snip]

IIRC Indamixx is using a OEM version of 64 Studio.

> I guess sometimes the dependency issue makes moving forward go more slowly.
>
> At the moment, theoretically I guess Ubuntu Studio would be the most
> current, but something turned me off about it when I tried it. I think
> it was either that the kernel wasn't real-time by default, or it wasn't
> built around Jack. I got the impression that it was oriented more to
> video than audio.

No, it's more oriented to desktop day-by-day usage. If you do
professional video editing you need proper audio too, btw. jack
transport very seldom is supported by video editing apps.

> I looked at AVLinux but the audio application list is laughable lacking.

AV Linux is a very good distro, I don't have an AV Linux installed, but
the live CD I've got comes with interesting audio stuff by default, that
is missing for 64 Studio.
At the moment this would be the only distro that could replace 64 Studio
for my needs. For example, it does include the LinuxDSP effects.

> Not even PD or Rosegarden from what I remember. There's also a couple
> other "live" distros.

IMO Rosegarden is obsolet. Qtractor or Ardour3 are the new MIDI
sequencers and perhaps Muse, if it should run on your machine.

> <rant>
> So why the current trend of giving distribution releases names instead
> of numbers? Yes, I kind of figured out that they go in alphabetical
> order, but something like e.g. "Ponderous Priest" means nothing to me.
> When was it released?? Is it the same as 13.1 or is it 15.0? Why do we
> now have to keep track of both the numbered versions and the named
> versions, and how they correspond? Isn't this the equivalent of a
> software smell of storing the same information in two different places?
> And invariably, the alphabetical names are stupid enough the it really
> discredits the knowledgeable people how work hard on these distros. It
> makes it seem like the software is just a toy for kids. At least Ubuntu
> has a good idea with naming the numeric release according to when they
> were released. See, the analogy with software engineering in that case
> is a good one! It avoid needless duplication! </rant>

Don't take the names to serious, e.g.
On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 19:56 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> just play on (the beat:)
>
> i only wish qtractor release codenames could amuse you all a little bit
> longer than i take to make one up--it's getting real hard to cope with
> the f&d peak, female nouns are really running out
>
> maybe i'll take on your once suggestion Ralf, to switch after bikini
> bottom characters. well, i guess then Fons will surely lol when it gets
> to a patrick star release :D
>
> thanks && enjoy

We should take care of the numbers for distros and apps, the names are just a kind of mnemonics, the brain is able to recall a picture more easy, but a number.
And names sometimes are for amusement.

Resume: Try 3.3 alpha or switch to AV Linux if it should be more up to date (compiling some apps shouldn't be to hard for a up to date distro).

Cheers!

Ralf

Gustin Johnson 10-02-2010 09:38 AM

Why can't I install listed packages with synaptic package manager? (and why the idiotic release names?!?!)

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Larry Troxler <lt@westnet.com> wrote:
<snip>

> So anyway, thanks, a bit of disappointing news. *I notice that even the
> 3.0 beta is a more than a year old, and you say it's based on Ubuntu
> 8.04 LTS (whatever LTS is - I'll google). So *it's already 2 1/2 years
> old and still in beta. I'll read up a bit I guess.

LTS = Long term support. I have a number of machines running 8.04
because it is stable and still gets updates. Unfortunately the audio
stuff is not in the category that gets updates. IIRC the 64 Studio
3.3 Alpha is based on the next LTS which is 10.04. Someone correct me
if I am wrong.

> Am I write in thinking that the reason these music distros are so
> lagging, is not so much the people working on them, but just the fact
> that developers of the music apps are slow to put out debian packages?
>
> I guess sometimes the dependency issue makes moving forward go more slowly.
>
> At the moment, theoretically I guess Ubuntu Studio would be the most
> current, but something turned me off about it when I tried it. I think
> it was either that the kernel wasn't real-time by default, or it wasn't
> built around Jack. I got the impression that it was oriented more to
> video than audio.

Ubuntu Studio has trouble with the real time kernel. The difficulty
is that supporting the general desktop use case, can have serious
complications for low latency audio. Windows went through these same
problems with the switch to an NT style kernel back in the 2000/XP
days. For the Linux world things like binary driver blobs for wifi
cards or nVidia graphics adapters often do not play nice with the real
time kernel patches.

The first step in Linux audio is making sure you choose the right
gear. I know it sucks, especially since most artistic types want to
get to the creating and could care less about kernels, binary blobs
and so on. Nevertheless it is what is, and we have to deal with what
is in front of us.

> I looked at AVLinux but the audio application list is laughable lacking.
> Not even PD or Rosegarden from what I remember. There's also a couple
> other "live" distros.

I have not looked in to any of them recently. Many years ago I used
DeMudi and AudioSlack. The developer for AudioSlack is now one of the
core contributers to Ubuntu Studio and one of the main guys behind
DeMudi is key to the 64Studio team. The point is that I believe
64Studio is currently the best we have.

There is significant room for improvement but even the "old" and
"outdated" 3.0 beta works great for me.

<snip>
I have no issue with release names and numbers.

Ralf Mardorf 10-02-2010 01:36 PM

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 03:38 -0600, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> IIRC the 64 Studio
> 3.3 Alpha is based on the next LTS which is 10.04. Someone correct me
> if I am wrong.

It's Karmic, 9.10, no LTS.

> Ubuntu Studio has trouble with the real time kernel.

Ubuntu Studio isn't for professional audio usage, see the september and
October posts at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/ .

> For the Linux world things like binary driver blobs for wifi
> cards or nVidia graphics adapters often do not play nice with the real
> time kernel patches.

The new way of handling X is a PITA. I experienced more trouble with
'desktop Linux', but 'multimedia Linux', for example PulseAudio is the
default sound server, but at least Ubuntu Studio Lucid and Suse 11.2
don't add two simple lines to a script, to enable sound for Envy24 based
cards.

> The point is that I believe 64Studio is currently the best we have.

I never tested http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ , but it
should be very good too. I used an AV Linux live CD and it was very
good. A lot of other audio and multimedia distros are useless.

- Ralf

Larry Troxler 10-02-2010 01:40 PM

On 10/02/2010 02:37 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> 3.3 alpha is ok and based on Karmic, you can ignore the word "alpha".

So "alpha" is the new "released" :-)
(non USA'rs that's a joke. We say like 50 is the new 40 (as in age)).

Really, I don't expect _any_ audio distro to be flawless, so the
distinction between alpha,beta, and released, is a bit more blurred.
However "alpha" generally means it hasn't even been made available to
customers yet, so I hope I can find it! (Seriously)

And again with the silly names!! :-) What's Karmic? I mean that both in
the sense of "is it an actual word", but most importantly what actual
release number and date does it correspond too??? Google Android 2.2 is
also "FroYo". What's a FroYo? I had to google it. Did I learn something?
Yes, that only in California would someone call frozen yogurt "froyo"! I
happen to know that it is really just another name for 2.2 only because
Android is pretty new and have been following it. But you would have to
pay me money to calling it "froyo" when I'm discussing Andrioid with my
android buddies.

I don't remember seeing 3.3 on the download sites, but then again I
wasn't specifically looking for it. I think I might as well try it.

If it's tricky to find (being alpha and all), I'll might be asking...

>> Am I write in thinking that the reason these music distros are so
>> lagging, is not so much the people working on them, but just the fact
>> that developers of the music apps are slow to put out debian packages?
>
> I'm subscribed to the Ubuntu Studio list, having a discussion about the
> kernel. Ubuntu Studio don't ships with a PREEMPT RT kernel, but just a
> PREEMPT kernel, without the rt-patch.
>
> Neither the kernel-rt from the repositories, nor self-build kernels are
> ok for my Ubuntu Studio install.

Yes that's what I thought it was. My impression is that the goal was
not to provide a hard-core audio distro, but just to package up a few
nice audio and and video apps along with their regular distro.

That's not the way I work. I want one distro for desktop work, and an
other for music. Video would be nice to play with (and maybe demand more
requirments), but currently that's not my focus. My music hardware box
(it's built on one of those multimedia quiet cases) does not have
wireless, it _does_ have an nvidia card but I've disabled the 3d acell
support which seems to eliminate the dropouts, and although I have OO
and Thunderbird installed, it's only for convenience. It has a
hard-wired connection when the box is at home (no wireless), but I have
separate box that I usually do my net stuff and OO on.

> Take care when using Linux distros supporting latest desktop software

I agree. I think that some distros are trying to be two things at once.

But I assume by "desktop" software you mean things like windows
managers, email software, web browsers, fancy graphics and the like?

If so I agree.

But the thing is, it _should_ have absolutely the latest libraries and
development tools, and packages of the latest music software.

General-purpose use on my music box is not an issue for me. I have
separate boxes - one or more to do desktop work, and a custom music box
to do, well, the music.

The music box doesn't need a fancy windows manager. In fact I'm puzzled
why 64studio uses gnome by default, although it's probably one of the
cases where it would be too much work to eliminate it. And although my
music box has nVidia (by ignorance), by disabling the 3d accell I was
able to get rid of the dropouts. And it has no wireless. I don't use it
for desktop work, just
as you most likely wouldn't use your wii for general purpose use.

I _do_ have the old browser (IceWeasel) and Thunderbird on it for
convenience, but it's not my primary utility PC. de

> IMO Rosegarden is obsolet. Qtractor or Ardour3 are the new MIDI
> sequencers and perhaps Muse, if it should run on your machine.

WHOA! Rosegarden is obsolete?? I'll google Qtractor - never heard of it.
And does Ardour3 really do everything that Rosegarden does?

So you're saying that Ardour3 hooks up with NoteEdit somehow?

One thing about Rosegarden that's sorely lacking, is that AFAIK it
doesn't support any MIDI scripting languages. is Ardour3 better in this
respect? Actually I had no idea that ardour did MIDI at all!

So really, Ardour now has a common-music-notation view?

And it supports arbitrary MIDI transformation plugins?

I should explain more. Say I record a performance into Ardour and record
it as MIDI. And then say the nerd in me wants to analyze the MIDI track
and based on it, run some gizmo wizmo think written in some sort of
scripting langauge (Python?), that transforms it and then sends the new
MIDI tracks back to Ardour.

If this is possible now, count me in!!

Larry

Larry

Folderol 10-02-2010 02:00 PM

Why can't I install listed packages with synaptic package manager? (and why the idiotic release names?!?!)

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 09:40:35 -0400
> [...]

> > sequencers and perhaps Muse, if it should run on your machine.
>
> WHOA! Rosegarden is obsolete?? I'll google Qtractor - never heard of it.
> And does Ardour3 really do everything that Rosegarden does?
>
> So you're saying that Ardour3 hooks up with NoteEdit somehow?
>
> One thing about Rosegarden that's sorely lacking, is that AFAIK it
> doesn't support any MIDI scripting languages. is Ardour3 better in this
> respect? Actually I had no idea that ardour did MIDI at all!
>
> So really, Ardour now has a common-music-notation view?
>
> And it supports arbitrary MIDI transformation plugins?
>
> I should explain more. Say I record a performance into Ardour and record
> it as MIDI. And then say the nerd in me wants to analyze the MIDI track
> and based on it, run some gizmo wizmo think written in some sort of
> scripting langauge (Python?), that transforms it and then sends the new

Ralf is making one of his sweeping generalisations, and as you know,
the only generalisation that is true is the one that states all of them
are false :)

Rosegarden is far from obsolete.
It does some things none of the others do.
It does some things differently to the way the others do.
It doesn't do some of the things some of the others do.

I use it at some point for all my work - I also use other applications
as and when they seem appropriate.

I would really like to see some development on 64studio. I have to have
some current libraries for Yoshimi.

The bodge I'm currently using is a stripped down minimum debian
squeeze, with none of the gnome rubbish, just startx straight into an
openbox session.

I then shoehorn in the multimedia kernel from 64studio alpha 3.3.

This is not a happy marriage!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Ralf Mardorf 10-02-2010 02:02 PM

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 09:40 -0400, Larry Troxler wrote:
> I don't remember seeing 3.3 on the download sites, but then again I
> wasn't specifically looking for it. I think I might as well try it.

http://www.google.de/#hl=de&source=hp&q=64+studio+users+mailing+list+3. 3
+aplpha+release&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=2ad aa333a925b4f9

I found

http://www.64studio.com/node/1469

and there it's written that it's available at

http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/karmic/images/

I do agree that it#s not good to hide it that way.

> But I assume by "desktop" software you mean things like windows
> managers, email software, web browsers, fancy graphics and the like?

Yes

> The music box doesn't need a fancy windows manager. In fact I'm puzzled
> why 64studio uses gnome by default, although it's probably one of the
> cases where it would be too much work to eliminate it.

I prefer GNOME. Btw. 3.3 alpha is using LXDE.

> > IMO Rosegarden is obsolet. Qtractor or Ardour3 are the new MIDI
> > sequencers and perhaps Muse, if it should run on your machine.
>
> WHOA! Rosegarden is obsolete??

Not really. Especially if you wish to edit sheet music Rosegarden might
be the better choice.

I never tested Ardour3 myself. Most of the times I'm using Qtractor.
It's needed to compile Qtractor from SVN, because it doesn't be in its
infancy. You still might prefer Rosegarden, but note that usage of hr
timer will freeze Rosegarden, resp. the complete Linux. Qtractor can be
used with hr timer and IMO it's important to get PCs closer to hard
real-time when using external MIDI devices. For my needs PCs still have
to much MIDI jitter or some kind of sync issue for doing audio
recordings of external MIDI devices controlled by a Linux MIDI
sequencer.

Cheers!

Ralf

Folderol 10-02-2010 02:09 PM

Why can't I install listed packages with synaptic package manager? (and why the idiotic release names?!?!)

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 16:02:38 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
<snip>
> You still might prefer Rosegarden, but note that usage of hr
> timer will freeze Rosegarden, resp. the complete Linux.

What do you mean by 'high resolution', and which version of Rosegarden?

I have *never* had a freeze due to timer issues.

Ralf Mardorf 10-02-2010 02:12 PM

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 15:00 +0100, Folderol wrote:
> Ralf is making one of his sweeping generalisations, and as you know,
> the only generalisation that is true is the one that states all of them
> are false :)

Yesno :)

of cause if a MIDI sequencer should not be used to control external MIDI
devices my opinion isn't correct, but IMO a MIDI sequencer should be for
external MIDI devices too and even if a lot of people can't hear jitter
as a bad timing, a lot of other people do so. Hence I guess a sequencer
has to be able to use hr timer (HPET), but Rosegarden will freeze the
system when hr timer is used.

Cheers!

Ralf

Ralf Mardorf 10-02-2010 02:36 PM

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 15:09 +0100, Folderol wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 16:02:38 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> <snip>
> > You still might prefer Rosegarden, but note that usage of hr
> > timer will freeze Rosegarden, resp. the complete Linux.
>
> What do you mean by 'high resolution', and which version of Rosegarden?
>
> I have *never* had a freeze due to timer issues.

sudo chgrp audio /dev/hpet
sudo sysctl -w dev.hpet.max-user-freq=64
sudo modprobe snd-hrtimer

I guess 'sudo sysctl -w dev.hpet.max-user-freq=64' isn't needed, but I
got different information about this.

The kernel has to be build to support hr timer.

This might not be the case for a default 3.0 beta

cat /media/studio3.0/boot/config-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 | grep
CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER
# CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER is not set

but it is for a default 3.3 alpha

cat /media/studio3.3/boot/config-2.6.31-2-multimedia-amd64 | grep
CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER
CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER=m

You might test it with a current version of Rosegarden.

- Ralf