Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Why can't I install listed packages with synaptic package manager? (and why the idiotic release names?!?!)

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 19:32 +0100, Folderol wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 16:53:28 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> > > PS: And don't forget to change the ALSA sequencer timer to hr timer
> > > (HPET).
> >
> > To complete it, this must be done by Rosegarden. I'm off now . Sorry
> > for that amount of PSs.
>
> Thanks for all the info, but it is unfortunately far too much work when
> (to me) the system works well enough.
>
> I'm very much in the position of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and
> only perform very occasional minor tweaks on this machine.

Never change a winning team!

Ralf

PS: But make two or more backups .

Old 10-07-2010, 11:36 PM
guerrier

Hi

I am looking for at least a semi-professional solution -- Squeeze + RT
Kernel + jack + various audio software. I am using aptosid (used to
be sidux) with horo's kernel (http://cryptomys.de/experimental/binary/
).

> The bodge I'm currently using is a stripped down minimum debian
> squeeze, with none of the gnome rubbish, just startx straight into an
> openbox session.
>
> I then shoehorn in the multimedia kernel from 64studio alpha 3.3.
>
> This is not a happy marriage!

Can you elaborate on this marriage? How does it perform?

guerrier

Old 10-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 19:36 -0400, guerrier wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking for at least a semi-professional solution -- Squeeze + RT
> Kernel + jack + various audio software. I am using aptosid (used to
> be sidux) with horo's kernel (http://cryptomys.de/experimental/binary/
> ).
>
> > The bodge I'm currently using is a stripped down minimum debian
> > squeeze, with none of the gnome rubbish, just startx straight into an
> > openbox session.
> >
> > I then shoehorn in the multimedia kernel from 64studio alpha 3.3.
> >
> > This is not a happy marriage!
>
> Can you elaborate on this marriage? How does it perform?
>
> guerrier

For what reason do you wish to use Squeeze?
I know that Hardy and Karmic are a little bit outdated.
You should build your own kernel-rt for Squeeze if the alpha 3.3 should
cause issues.

For Hardy it was possible to build a kernel-rt the following way, but at
least for Lucid make-kpkg isn't supported anymore, but perhaps it's
still ok for Debian.

wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.33.7.tar.bz2
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/patch-2.6.33.7-rt29.bz2
tar xvjf linux-2.6.33.7.tar.bz2
mv linux-2.6.33.7 linux-2.6.33.7-rt29
ln -s linux-2.6.33.7-rt29 linux
cd linux
mv ../patch-2.6.33.7-rt29.bz2 ../linux
bunzip2 patch-2.6.33.7-rt29.bz2
patch -p1 < patch-2.6.33.7-rt29

Instead of 'uname -r' you could test if the config from the 3.3 alpha's kernel does work.
cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config
make oldconfig

Disable staging might be needed.
gedit .config
Editing
CONFIG_STAGING=y
# CONFIG_STAGING is not set
... and then
make oldconfig
There should be nothing to do when running make oldconfig now.

make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel-image kernel-headers
kernel-source

OT:

For semi-professional usage you also could use a full-professional [1]
solution such as

64 Studio 3.0 beta = Ubuntu Hardy

http://download.linuxaudio.org/64studio/

64 Studio 3.3 alpha = Ubuntu Karmic

http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/karmic/images/

They might not support latest version of Tux Racer, but AFAIK this are
one of the best audio Linux [2].

Cheers!

Ralf

[1] IMO no Apple, Linux and Windows computer is 'professional'. For a
'professional' studio I do prefer stand alone equipment and oldish
computers. Anyway, we might have different semantics for the word
'professional'.

[2] I experienced that they are working OOTB for my non-professional
music room.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Larry Troxler

On 10/02/2010 10:12 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 15:00 +0100, Folderol wrote:
>> Ralf is making one of his sweeping generalisations, and as you know,
>> the only generalisation that is true is the one that states all of them
>> are false
>
> Yesno
>
> of cause if a MIDI sequencer should not be used to control external MIDI
> devices my opinion isn't correct, but IMO a MIDI sequencer should be for
> external MIDI devices

[[ Warning - off topic digression follows ]]

Well actually, Ralf, you are correct in that MIDI is by definition only
for external devices, except for cable loopbacks, because the spec
defines not only the data protocol but also the hardware interface (an
opto-isolated serial interface much like RS-232 but at some specified
bps - which I don't remember - 3KBS? Rather slow, what ever it is).

It is a software + hardware interface that was designed for
communication between electronic keyboards and synthesizers.

I know that the term "MIDI" has sort of been co-opted to mean any
software inter-process interface that uses the same message protocol. I
guess that's understandable, although it would have been better if a
separate term was invented (soft-MIDI? SIIP? I dunno...)

So all of this stuff you hear about MIDI done within a computer, or
through USB cables, is technically really not MIDI at all. So there you
have it.

So yes, Ralf, you are technically correct, because MIDI is not only a
data protocol but also a specific hardware interface. It's the same
thing as saying that two applications talking to eachother on the same
computer via a local loop-back IP socket are using ethernet! Nobody
would say that! The nice thing about MIDI (the hardware kind) is that's
it's optically isolated at both ends, thus avoiding any kind of ground
loop problems (see below).

BTW has anyone here checked out the noise level difference between using
real MIDI connections vs. pseudo-MIDI USB connection? Is USB
opto-isolated? (I think probably not because of its bandwidth). This is
actually a serious question. I have a Korg M-51 that causes major ground
noise if I run both the USB "midi" and and audio connection ( believe
unblanced but not sure) audio to my M-audio delta 10-10. My next step
will be of course to try actual MIDI connections, but the M-51 doesn't
have a MIDI through jack, which causes problems because I want to use an
M-audio MIDI controller as a second keyboard, to avoid having to use
keyboard splits. I'm thinking of plugging everything in to single outlet
using a "star" configuration of outlet srips.I wonder how many of us
Linux-software people don't have at least one real keyboard synth? To
me, it would be practically impossible to play live at at moment's
notice if I didn't have a set of keys that I could just throw into my
car and go. Of course it all depends on what you're doing. I could see
for example, that someone who is only interested in scoring for films,
might have no need for an independent keyboard and amp. Or it's also
possible that people have keyboards that they take for live gigs, but at
home use their Linux boxes for experimental stuff, perhaps with just a
MIDI keyboard controller. This would make for an interesting poll I guess.

Actually, I imagine that there's quite a few of us that never play out.
And that's fine! Personally, I find that if I don't get out and actually
play with people from time to time, the music I make on my own suffers -
it gets to "out there" and too technical and sterile to be called real
music. Of course, what defines "real music" then?

Larry