Old 10-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Why can't I install listed packages with synaptic package manager? (and why the idiotic release names?!?!)

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 16:36 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 15:09 +0100, Folderol wrote:
> > On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 16:02:38 +0200
> > Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > You still might prefer Rosegarden, but note that usage of hr
> > > timer will freeze Rosegarden, resp. the complete Linux.
> >
> > What do you mean by 'high resolution', and which version of Rosegarden?
> >
> > I have *never* had a freeze due to timer issues.
>
> sudo chgrp audio /dev/hpet
> sudo sysctl -w dev.hpet.max-user-freq=64
> sudo modprobe snd-hrtimer
>
> I guess 'sudo sysctl -w dev.hpet.max-user-freq=64' isn't needed, but I
> got different information about this.
>
> The kernel has to be build to support hr timer.
>
> This might not be the case for a default 3.0 beta
>
> cat /media/studio3.0/boot/config-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 | grep
> CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER
> # CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER is not set
>
> but it is for a default 3.3 alpha
>
> cat /media/studio3.3/boot/config-2.6.31-2-multimedia-amd64 | grep
> CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER
> CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER=m
>
> You might test it with a current version of Rosegarden.
>
> - Ralf

PS: And don't forget to change the ALSA sequencer timer to hr timer
(HPET).

Old 10-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 16:38 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 16:36 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 15:09 +0100, Folderol wrote:
> > > On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 16:02:38 +0200
> > > Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > What do you mean by 'high resolution', and which version of Rosegarden?
> > >
> > > I have *never* had a freeze due to timer issues.
> >
> > sudo chgrp audio /dev/hpet
> > sudo sysctl -w dev.hpet.max-user-freq=64
> > sudo modprobe snd-hrtimer
> >
> > I guess 'sudo sysctl -w dev.hpet.max-user-freq=64' isn't needed, but I
> > got different information about this.
> >
> > The kernel has to be build to support hr timer.
> >
> > This might not be the case for a default 3.0 beta
> >
> > cat /media/studio3.0/boot/config-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 | grep
> > CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER
> > # CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER is not set
> >
> > but it is for a default 3.3 alpha
> >
> > cat /media/studio3.3/boot/config-2.6.31-2-multimedia-amd64 | grep
> > CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER
> > CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER=m
> >
> > You might test it with a current version of Rosegarden.
> >
> > - Ralf
>
> PS: And don't forget to change the ALSA sequencer timer to hr timer
> (HPET).

PPS: I've got the influenza, sorry, I also forget that you need to set
it up for jackd:

[ --clocksource OR -c [ c(ycle) | h(pet) | s(ystem) ]

Old 10-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 16:38 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 16:36 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 15:09 +0100, Folderol wrote:
> > > On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 16:02:38 +0200
> > > Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > What do you mean by 'high resolution', and which version of Rosegarden?
> > >
> > > I have *never* had a freeze due to timer issues.
> >
> > sudo chgrp audio /dev/hpet
> > sudo sysctl -w dev.hpet.max-user-freq=64
> > sudo modprobe snd-hrtimer
> >
> > I guess 'sudo sysctl -w dev.hpet.max-user-freq=64' isn't needed, but I
> > got different information about this.
> >
> > The kernel has to be build to support hr timer.
> >
> > This might not be the case for a default 3.0 beta
> >
> > cat /media/studio3.0/boot/config-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 | grep
> > CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER
> > # CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER is not set
> >
> > but it is for a default 3.3 alpha
> >
> > cat /media/studio3.3/boot/config-2.6.31-2-multimedia-amd64 | grep
> > CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER
> > CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER=m
> >
> > You might test it with a current version of Rosegarden.
> >
> > - Ralf
>
> PS: And don't forget to change the ALSA sequencer timer to hr timer
> (HPET).

To complete it, this must be done by Rosegarden. I'm off now . Sorry
for that amount of PSs.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Larry Troxler

On 10/02/2010 10:51 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> PPS: I've got the influenza, sorry, I also forget that you need to set
> it up for jackd:
>
> [ --clocksource OR -c [ c(ycle) | h(pet) | s(ystem) ]

I hope you were typing that from a laptop while you were resting in bed
or on the couch. the Influenza (we call it "the flu" in the US) is not
fun, although if you get a high fever you can have interesting dreams.
Get some rest! Hope you feel better soon.

Larry

Old 10-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Larry Troxler

On 10/02/2010 10:00 AM, Folderol wrote:

> The bodge I'm currently using is a stripped down minimum debian
> squeeze, with none of the gnome rubbish, just startx straight into an
> openbox session.
>
> I then shoehorn in the multimedia kernel from 64studio alpha 3.3.
>
> This is not a happy marriage!

What are your talking about?

Sounds like in ideal music distribution you have there!

Gnome or KDE always seemed to me to be too heavy to be the
standard window manager for what is supposed to be a music
box, not a desktop.

When I gripe about not having up to date packages, I'm not talking about
office apps or windows managers. I'm speaking of development packages
and up to date multimedia apps. Would you hook up your Korg Oasis to the
net and us its UI to write emails?

I think perhaps that perhaps a few years ago, home client-server systems
were unthinkable because not many people could afford to have multiple
computers, and maybe then, a gnome or KDE desktop on a real-time machine
might make sense.

Granted, the problem is that most music apps for Linux are not
client/server. Now, I'm thinking out loud as I'm typing...

Yes, that's the whole problem! These days, it is not unreasonable to
require that anyone who is really into serious real-time music
production will have more than one computer.

Even in today's professional music studios that have windows or macs
running pro-tools, do you think that these guys use them after-hours to
check their emails or what ever?

So then why does the music computer (i.e. the real-time instrument)
really need to have a GUI at all (at least a desktop one).
I mean, isn't the KORG Oasys Linux-based (if not 64studio based)?

And I guess the answer is that most of the current linux music apps
aren't designed that way.

Is this basically what OSC was meant for?

Just thinking out loud here....

Larry

Old 10-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 12:23 -0400, Larry Troxler wrote:
> On 10/02/2010 10:51 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > PPS: I've got the influenza, sorry, I also forget that you need to set
> > it up for jackd:
> >
> > [ --clocksource OR -c [ c(ycle) | h(pet) | s(ystem) ]
> >

> I hope you were typing that from a laptop while you were resting in bed
> or on the couch. the Influenza (we call it "the flu" in the US) is not
> fun, although if you get a high fever you can have interesting dreams.
> Get some rest! Hope you feel better soon.
>
> Larry

Thank you

no, I'm writing from my PC, sitting in my music room. The female doctor
blame me (too , because of my reckless behaviour.
I can't sleep all the time and it's hard to stand the rubbish they
broadcast for TV. OTOH I've got too much blackouts to compile, write
etc..

Ok, I'll go back to bed in some minutes .

Cheers!

Ralf

Old 10-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 17:53 -0400, Larry Troxler wrote:
> Would you hook up your Korg Oasis to the
> net and us its UI to write emails?

Anyway, this shouldn't be a problem, I just wonder that a lot of people
seem to write emails, while recording music .

> Yes, that's the whole problem! These days, it is not unreasonable to
> require that anyone who is really into serious real-time music
> production will have more than one computer.
>
> Even in today's professional music studios that have windows or macs
> running pro-tools, do you think that these guys use them after-hours to
> check their emails or what ever?

This could be done by using just one computer.
After doing the production, you could start an Internet connection etc.
on the same Linux or Windows install. Perhaps you would log out and log
in again to change the desktop environment, or you might boot a complete
different install.

But full ACK, it's possible to have several installs on one machine and
nobody needs to play Tux racer, write an email, while playing music.

> So then why does the music computer (i.e. the real-time instrument)
> really need to have a GUI at all (at least a desktop one).

Hm, I once used KDE, but for music often Ion. IMO GNOME should be ok
when making music.

> Just thinking out loud here....

Good thoughts! I do agree!

Cheers!

Ralf

Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Daniel James

Hi Will,

> I would really like to see some development on 64studio.

It's all behind the scenes at the moment. I'm bursting to give you all
the news, but it's commercially confidential, probably for the next
couple of months.

> The bodge I'm currently using is a stripped down minimum debian
> squeeze

What's your opinion of squeeze as a platform? The level of breakage we
get with the six-monthly Ubuntu releases is a real headache, especially
for apps that haven't had a lot of love recently. It's making me
nostalgic for the days when we built distros on top of Debian stable :-)

If squeeze had frozen on schedule, that would have been a point in its
favour. Maybe quality and hard deadlines are just tough to reconcile
though - something has to give.

> with none of the gnome rubbish

Some people like a desktop ;-)

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Gustin Johnson

On 10-10-07 06:33 AM, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
>> I would really like to see some development on 64studio.
>
> It's all behind the scenes at the moment. I'm bursting to give you all
> the news, but it's commercially confidential, probably for the next
> couple of months.
>
>> The bodge I'm currently using is a stripped down minimum debian
>> squeeze
>
> What's your opinion of squeeze as a platform? The level of breakage we
> get with the six-monthly Ubuntu releases is a real headache, especially
> for apps that haven't had a lot of love recently. It's making me
> nostalgic for the days when we built distros on top of Debian stable :-)

I am using squeeze for some embedded work. I like it. It remains to be
seen if Debian is able to keep to some sort of sane release schedule.

For 64Studio I still think that basing your release on the LTS makes the
most sense. You have two years between each upgrade. I view the 6
month releases as development releases, not suitable for mission critical.

> If squeeze had frozen on schedule, that would have been a point in its
> favour. Maybe quality and hard deadlines are just tough to reconcile
> though - something has to give.
>
>> with none of the gnome rubbish
>
> Some people like a desktop ;-)

I sometimes like a desktop, though I am not really happy with any of
them (Windows and MacOS included).

Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Folderol

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 16:53:28 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 16:38 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > > sudo chgrp audio /dev/hpet
> > > sudo sysctl -w dev.hpet.max-user-freq=64
> > > sudo modprobe snd-hrtimer
> > >
> > > I guess 'sudo sysctl -w dev.hpet.max-user-freq=64' isn't needed, but I
> > > got different information about this.
> > >
> > > The kernel has to be build to support hr timer.
> > >
> > > This might not be the case for a default 3.0 beta
> > >
> > > cat /media/studio3.0/boot/config-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 | grep
> > > CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER
> > > # CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER is not set
> > >
> > > but it is for a default 3.3 alpha
> > >
> > > cat /media/studio3.3/boot/config-2.6.31-2-multimedia-amd64 | grep
> > > CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER
> > > CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER=m
> > >
> > > You might test it with a current version of Rosegarden.
> > >
> > > - Ralf
> >
> > PS: And don't forget to change the ALSA sequencer timer to hr timer
> > (HPET).
>
> To complete it, this must be done by Rosegarden. I'm off now . Sorry
> for that amount of PSs.

Thanks for all the info, but it is unfortunately far too much work when
(to me) the system works well enough.

I'm very much in the position of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and
only perform very occasional minor tweaks on this machine.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk