Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Frank Smith

Default Re-installing RME soundcard

Hi
How do I re-install the sound driver when changing the RME card.
I have gone back to a 9632 with 3 ADATs

Thing is even when un-installing alsa firmware and re-installing it it still shows the original card.

I had a problem with ADAT 1 not locking at all, after much testing and changing light pipes I have to assume that
the card must be faulty.

So I need to tell the system that the card has changed.

Here is some output:

*******************************
sudo hdsploader
hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
Card 0 : RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5) at 0xf9000000, irq 19

*******************************

As you can see it seems to think it's the old card.
HDSPconf will not open at all or HDSPmixer.

When running in the terminal I get:

****************************

Looking for HDSP cards :
Card 0 : RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5) at 0xf9000000, irq 19
No Hammerfall DSP card found.
studio@64studio:~$
****************************

Any ideas how I* Load the correct drivers, or must I re-install the OS?

Cheers
Bob

Old 09-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 19:14 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:
> Hi
> How do I re-install the sound driver when changing the RME card.
> I have gone back to a 9632 with 3 ADATs
>
> Thing is even when un-installing alsa firmware and re-installing it it
> still shows the original card.
>
> I had a problem with ADAT 1 not locking at all, after much testing and
> changing light pipes I have to assume that
> the card must be faulty.
>
> So I need to tell the system that the card has changed.
>
> Here is some output:
>
> *******************************
> sudo hdsploader
> hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
> Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
> Card 0 : RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5) at 0xf9000000, irq 19
> *******************************
>
> As you can see it seems to think it's the old card.
> HDSPconf will not open at all or HDSPmixer.
>
> When running in the terminal I get:
>
> ****************************
> Looking for HDSP cards :
> Card 0 : RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5) at 0xf9000000, irq 19
> No Hammerfall DSP card found.
> studio@64studio:~$
> ****************************
>

> Any ideas how I Load the correct drivers, or must I re-install the
> OS?
>
> Cheers
> Bob

Hi Bob

I've got no knowledge about your issue, but reinstalling 64 Studio
shouldn't be needed.

Is there an entry in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base?

What information do you get after installing hwinfo and running hwinfo
--sound?

If I were you, I maybe would install a new 64 Studio, but also keep the
old 64 Studio with all the configurations and apps you changed for your
needs. Perhaps you could diff some files that you suspect to be bad.

It's said that snd-hdsp should be loaded very early at startup to save
memory.

Again, I don't have knowledge, but I'm searching for a new high quality
sound card for my Linux PC and I very often read how good the quality of
those cards should be, but OTOH a lot of people run into issues using
those cards.

I wonder if there's any rt capable audio card that is ok for Linux rt +
'usual' desktop usage, without much manual work or at least work, but
less 'secret' knowledge.

Envy24 cards e.g. don't work with PA desktops until one will add two
lines to /usr/share/alsa/cards/ICE1712.conf:

<confdircm/front.conf>

ICE1712.pcm.front.0 {
@args [ CARD ]
@args.CARD {
type string
}
type route
ttable.0.0 1
ttable.1.1 1
slave.pcm {
type hw
card $CARD
}
#### fix PA issue ####
slave.format S32_LE
slave.channels 10
######################
}

It's hard to get such a simple information .

While more and more issues for rt audio apps get solved, rt capable
sound cards and setting up X seems to become more and more a PITA for
Linux. Some days ago I read a headline "Guerrilla Tactics to
Force Screen Mode in Ubuntu", unfortunately I didn't read anything about
Guerrilla Tactics to get a rt capable audio card working.
FWIW, I can't boot latest kernel versions on latest distro versions on
my machine. I started to compile latest versions of libs for my 64
Studio 3.3 alpha, but keep oldish kernels and it's ok on my machine.
PPPoE Internet connections do become also bad with latest distro
versions on my machine.

Hopefully it's pure coincidence and not a new trend.

Back to the topic, I couldn't find the information about all files that
are important, to set up any sound card properly. Hopefully somebody on
that list does know what files do have impact.

We always should keep a backup of the Linux we are using today, to be
able to restore it, if it will be broken tomorrow.

- Ralf

Old 09-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Frank Smith

Hi All
Thanks for the replies.
Here is output from HWinfo:

***********************************
hwinfo --sound
09: PCI 108.0: 0401 Multimedia audio controller****************
* [Created at pci.296]

* UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_10ee_3fc4
* Unique ID: 75Hn.ZEKAtBTA_DA
* Parent ID: RE4e.huihPTgjou6
* SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.0/0000:01:08.0
* SysFS BusID: 0000:01:08.0
* Hardware Class: sound

* Model: "Xilinx RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall)"
* Vendor: pci 0x10ee "Xilinx Corporation"
* Device: pci 0x3fc4 "RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall)"
* Revision: 0x03
* Driver: "RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall)"

* Driver Modules: "snd_rme9652"
* Memory Range: 0xf9000000-0xf9ffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
* IRQ: 19 (no events)
* Module Alias: "pci:v000010EEd00003FC4sv00000000sd00000000bc04sc0 1i00"
* Driver Info #0:

*** Driver Status: snd_rme9652 is active
*** Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_rme9652"
* Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
* Attached to: #24 (PCI bridge)

I still cannot get HDSP conf or mixer to open, which means I cannot lock the card with the DDX.
Unfortunately I cannot move the card to another slot as the video card is blocking it!

Cheers
All

Old 09-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 12:23 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:
> Hi All
> Thanks for the replies.
> Here is output from HWinfo:
>
> ***********************************
> hwinfo --sound
> Driver: "RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall)"
> Driver Modules: "snd_rme9652"

And currently the card is a 9632?

If I run

# hwinfo --gfxcard

I get Model: "nVidia GeForce 7300 SE"

I do have a 7200, but it's correct that both do have the same driver,
even for the proprietary nVidia one.

At least for Linux all Envy24 sound cards do have the same driver, for
my sound cards JACK audio does list IOs that aren't available.

Could there be a configuration file, that manage 9652 and 9632 cards in
addition to /usr/share/alsa/cards/RME9636.conf
and /usr/share/alsa/cards/RME9652.conf?

My Envy24 card only can be used for 'common' desktops, after editing
ICE1712.conf, since most distros do use pulseaudio. Btw. I do know what
to edit, but don't understand it.

I couldn't find any information about all important files and libs that
need to be ok, to get a sound card working. Fortunately my elcheapo is
ok, but I wish to buy a better one, e.g. a RME .

The Hammerfall DIGI9636 is listed as a ALSA preferred sound card at
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Alsa_Preferred_Soundcards .

Time to subscribe to an ALSA mailing list?

Ralf

Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Daniel James

Hi Bob,

> Here is output from HWinfo:

> Model: "Xilinx RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall)"
> Vendor: pci 0x10ee "Xilinx Corporation"
> Device: pci 0x3fc4 "RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall)"
> Revision: 0x03
> Driver: "RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall)"
> Driver Modules: "snd_rme9652"

Does aplay -l also show the card to be a 9652? The 9632 only has one
ADAT port, so if you've got three ADAT ports the card is actually a
9652. Compare:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9632.php

with:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9652.php

You shouldn't need to 'tell' the kernel about a change of card, it
should always pick that up automatically. The only thing you might have
to change is any .asoundrc file that you've set up manually.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Daniel James

Hi Bob,

> Looking for HDSP cards :
> Card 0 : RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5) at 0xf9000000, irq 19
> No Hammerfall DSP card found.
>
> card 0 is the right card I think

Yes, that's the one - but what this output suggests is that hdspmixer
does not support this particular card. I believe that the Digi9652
doesn't have the same hardware mixer as the HDSP series cards. Try
running rmedigicontrol instead, it's in the alsa-tools-gui package.

Cheers!

Daniel