Old 09-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Frank Smith

Default Adat 8 channels missing 1 to 8

HI AllI have again lost the first 8 channels on my RME hdsp card.
When I last re-installed 64studio I seemed to get them back!
Is there a way to re-install just the driver for the sound card, I*ended*up last time stuck at 800 x 600 for a week.

This*seems to be a*recurring*problem of late.Has there been major changes to the alsa driver?
CheersBob

Old 09-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 18:24 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:
> HI All
> I have again lost the first 8 channels on my RME hdsp card.
>

> When I last re-installed 64studio I seemed to get them back!
>

> Is there a way to re-install just the driver for the sound card,
> I ended up last time stuck at 800 x 600 for a week.
>

> This seems to be a recurring problem of late.
> Has there been major changes to the alsa driver?
>

> Cheers
> Bob

This are the files for RME cards I've got in /usr/share/alsa/cards for
64 Studio 3.0 beta amd64, they don't differ from 3.3 alpha amd64.

spinymouse11.2@suse11-2:~>
diff /media/studio3.0/usr/share/alsa/cards/RME9636.conf /media/studio3.3/usr/share/alsa/cards/RME9636.conf
spinymouse11.2@suse11-2:~>
diff /media/studio3.0/usr/share/alsa/cards/RME9652.conf /media/studio3.3/usr/share/alsa/cards/RME9652.conf
spinymouse11.2@suse11-2:~>

Perhaps there's a /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc you need to delete or
edit, resp. to replace from a backup.

Hth,
Ralf
#
# Configuration for the RME9636
#

<confdircm/front.conf>

RME9636.pcm.front.0 {
@args [ CARD ]
@args.CARD {
type string
}
type hw
card $CARD
}

# FIXME: This configuration is not valid for double-speed rates.

<confdircm/iec958.conf>

RME9636.pcm.iec958.0 {
@args [ CARD AES0 AES1 AES2 AES3 ]
@args.CARD {
type string
}
@args.AES0 {
type integer
}
@args.AES1 {
type integer
}
@args.AES2 {
type integer
}
@args.AES3 {
type integer
}
type hooks
slave.pcm {
type route
slave {
pcm {
type hw
card $CARD
}
channels 18
}
ttable.0.16 1
ttable.1.17 1
}
hooks.0 {
type ctl_elems
hook_args [
{
interface PCM
name "IEC958 Playback PCM Stream"
lock true
value [ $AES0 $AES1 $AES2 $AES3 ]
}
]
}
}
#
# Configuration for the RME9652
#

<confdircm/front.conf>

RME9652.pcm.front.0 {
@args [ CARD ]
@args.CARD {
type string
}
type hw
card $CARD
}

# FIXME: This configuration is not valid for double-speed rates.

<confdircm/iec958.conf>

RME9652.pcm.iec958.0 {
@args [ CARD AES0 AES1 AES2 AES3 ]
@args.CARD {
type string
}
@args.AES0 {
type integer
}
@args.AES1 {
type integer
}
@args.AES2 {
type integer
}
@args.AES3 {
type integer
}
type hooks
slave.pcm {
type route
slave {
pcm {
type hw
card $CARD
}
channels 26
}
ttable.0.24 1
ttable.1.25 1
}
hooks.0 {
type ctl_elems
hook_args [
{

Old 09-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 18:24 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:

> Has there been major changes to the alsa driver?

Did you install separated alsa drivers? IIRC usually they are part of
the kernel, so just reinstall an old kernel.

But perhaps it just is caused by the settings, in one of the files I
hint at with my first reply.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:35 AM
Gustin Johnson

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Frank Smith <frsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI All
> I have again lost the first 8 channels on my RME hdsp card.

There is a handy hdspconf program. Is this what you are using to
determine the missing channels? I have had a HDSP card for about 5
years now, and it has been rock solid. What was the last thing you
changed before you "lost" these channels?

> When I last re-installed 64studio I seemed to get them back!
> Is there a way to re-install just the driver for the sound card, I*ended*up
> last time stuck at 800 x 600 for a week.

The drivers are part of the kernel and are likely not the problem.

> This*seems to be a*recurring*problem of late.
> Has there been major changes to the alsa driver?

None that I am aware of.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:34 AM
Quentin Harley

Hi,

Strange indeed. I have used the RME device for many years with no
problems, my only audio problems originating from device order in
alsa.

I will scratch around for you a bit...

Cheers,
Quentin

--
Sent from my mobile device

Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Frank Smith

HiJust to point out.I can*receive*all 8*channels*back from the pc the the DDXBut If I select channel 1 and input a guitar I get nothing in Ardour.
If I use chan 9 and select this in Ardour I get a*signal*as expected.
Seems one bank isn't getting anything (1 to 8)
This is what happened on the other desk and after re-installing it all worked.
I have set jack to connect chan 1 to chan 1 in Ardour but still nothing. Both desks are locked to the RME card @48k *hdsp is showing a hdsp 9652
jack shows two cards:
hw0 hamerfall dsphw 0.0*hamerfall 9652 * * * * *(this is selected)
Why is there two? only one card on here

Cheers All
Bob

--

Sent from my mobile device

Old 09-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 15:56 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:

> hw0 hamerfall dsp
> hw 0.0 hamerfall 9652 (this is selected)
>

> Why is there two? only one card on here

Hi Bob

this isn't for two cards, both are hw:0, a second card would be hw:<any
other number but 0>. I don't know what it's good for, but I've got this
for my cards too.

Cheers!

Ralf

Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Daniel James

Hi Bob, hi Ralf,

>> hw0 hamerfall dsp
>> hw 0.0 hamerfall 9652 (this is selected)
>>

>> Why is there two? only one card on here
>
> Hi Bob
>
> this isn't for two cards, both are hw:0, a second card would be hw:<any
> other number but 0>. I don't know what it's good for, but I've got this
> for my cards too.

I've just been writing about this topic in the Campcaster manual:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/Campcaster/ConfiguringSoundcards

Each device of ALSA hardware has a card number *and* a device number.
The first hardware card in the system is given the name:

hw:0

Each item of audio hardware can sometimes have multiple devices, also
numbered from zero upwards. The card number and device number are
separated by a comma. Often, there's only one device per card, so the
first card and the first device on that card is referred to as:

hw:0,0

Some audio interfaces have both analogue outputs (line level) and
digital audio outputs (such as S/PDIF), on the same card. To check which
device has which number, we can use the aplay command:

$ aplay -l

The terminal might display something like:

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Aureon51MkII [Aureon5.1MkII], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1

In this example, the internal soundcard (hw:0) is an Intel HDA, and the
external USB card (hw:1) is an Aureon 5.1 MkII. On the internal Intel
HDA card, two separate devices are listed. The first, hw:0,0 is shown as
the analog output device, and the second, hw:0,1 is shown as the digital
output device.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Daniel James

Hi Bob,

> If I use chan 9 and select this in Ardour I get a signal as expected.
> Seems one bank isn't getting anything (1 to 8)

In JACK Control, check that Input Channels and Output Channels are both
set to 'default'. Setting a number there can cause problems.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 09-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Gustin Johnson

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Daniel James <daniel@64studio.com> wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
>> If I use chan 9 and select this in Ardour I get a signal as expected.
>> Seems one bank isn't getting anything (1 to 8)
>
> In JACK Control, check that Input Channels and Output Channels are both
> set to 'default'. Setting a number there can cause problems.

I would also check the hdspmixer app to check levels and routing
there. Chances are this is where your problem is.